Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with great, satisfying endings?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Mass Effect had a very satisfying and complete ending. Good thing they didn't make sequels to that game that retconned and ruined it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The ending to starfield was the most satisfying, because it finally relieved me of that piece of shit of a game
Why would you keep playing something you hated?
du6MRvi.png

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Disco Elysium easily had the best, most satisfying ending I've experienced in years, but that was the specific product of my own choices. I would hate any other ending for it.
I'm surprised that nobody posted the ending for Baldur's Gate 1. After fighting Sarevok in the ancient temple of Bhaal in the ruined, sunken undercity:

... Which leads directly to some serious style with the credits:

:mca:

Throne of Bhaal deserves a mention for the ending slides and soundtrack after taking your character all the way from Candlekeep:

Those are on my mind, having just finished BG1 again and currently playing through BG2.
The best endings in games usually involve the main character exiting the stage of his own volition, 'escaping'. KOTOR 2 and Witcher 3 (Where I accidentally told Yennefer and Triss that I wanted to keep them both and ended up with neither and broke, the true ending) did this well, as did the expansion for Dragon Age: Origins because, as Tweed once said concerning game 'waifus':

Morrigan, because she lets bang her and then walk through the magic mirror with her and right out of the Dragon Age series without ever having to play the other games.

Even Blue Shift gave me that satisfaction, while the superior Half-Life and Opposing Force didn't:

Beastro

Arcane
AlttP has a better ending.

The ending dungeon is a good, meaty one, the fight against Ganon is fun but challenging for a kid and it has fufilling, long but not too long ending that OoT imitated.

OoT's final dungeon and boss aren't nearly as good, especially the final dungeon.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane

I especially like that they already settled on the ending being bad and then got pushed to shove in a choice, so they made a unsatisfying half-hearted good one that just screams at you which is the real, proper one to choose.

9ted6

Educated
Mass Effect had a very satisfying and complete ending. Good thing they didn't make sequels to that game that retconned and ruined it.
Bioware sure is great for that, I hope they don't completely lose their minds in the next few years.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Thief 3, the game has its host of issues (including story related ones) but the ending definitely isn't among them.
I agree. The ending of Thief 3 provided closure to Garrett's story and did so in a tasteful way. BTW, the Sneaky Upgrade fixes a lot of issues with the game.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The good ending* of Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator after winning the war against the European Union and burning its capital to the ground.

*In order to get the good ending you had to not fail three key objectives; preventing an enemy ship's completion, destroying the asteroid base's engines before it enters Earth's atmosphere and destroying a shuttle before it enters orbit. Otherwise you get the bad ending where your entire crew is dead, including your waifu.

An all around great SNES classic this is. :love:

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
One of my favorites. Brutal final stage. Also watch out for the softlock if going for a cheese strategy on the penultimate boss. Forgot the exact trigger.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
From an old post of mine on another forum:

Basically, I decided to never touch the floor just booster back up on to the balcony and then spam laser. Don't do that. If you don't touch the floor, you won't trigger all the little dudes running away, and if you don't trigger the little dudes running away before you down the boss, he won't leave his mech and if he doesn't do that the game never triggers your boost crash through the upper floors and into to the president's office.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The ending to starfield was the most satisfying, because it finally relieved me of that piece of shit of a game
Why would you keep playing something you hated?
It's bad form to call out a bro on the forum on his strange compulsions and spergy tendencies... unless we're in the heat of a bitch fight then all proper 'dex decorum is out the window. I know a guy here who played Fallout 3 + all 5 DLC and hated every second of it. Did I rudely say anything about it to him? Of course I did.

Atrachasis

Augur
I'll second the mention of Ultima IV. You get to read the Codex, what could be more satisfying than that? But, seriously, that ending "cinematic" is the most powerful conclusion I've seen in an RPG.

On the other end of the spectrum, endings are probably where the modern breed of cinematic games can pull their strengths, so despite many misgivings about what came before, I actually did find the ending of Witcher 3 quite satisfying. It works better if you interpret the game's plot as being about parenting and guiding your child towards finding their own path and taking on responsibility for their own life. Not some silliness about space elves fighting climate change or something, which I've all but forgotten.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom