Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you regret playing

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Have you ever played a game for a while, whether 5, 10 hours or even finishing it, only to realize it is utter shit and regretting you wasted even one second playing?

I can recall these games I started hating after playing for more than one evening:

Galactic Civilizations 2 - finished two games, would not touch anymore, the game has no soul

Avadon: The Black Fortress - played for 8 - 10 hours, waiting for the fun to begin, then just quit the game and never started it again

The Spirit Engine 2 - a remake? of a classic RPG - my first JRPG. And last. Finished in 10h or so.

Dragon Age: Origins - finished it (50h), and while thinking about replaying! it, a memory of the Deep Roads arose in me, 5 minutes later it was uninstalled and I started lurking on the Codex once again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Arcania and possibly Duke Nuke'em Forever (although I think everyone sort of has to play that just to experience how fucking horrendous it is).

Avadon: The Black Fortress - played for 8 - 10 hours, waiting for the fun to begin, then just quit the game and never started it again

Hah, I had the exact same experience (and play time) with Avadon. I kept telling myself: 'this is an old school RPG, I have to play it or the Codex will disown me!' Then I asked about it on the Codex and 90% of the people agreed it was mediocre at best.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As a semi-professional game reviewer, I play tons of shit. I regret them all. As for the games I choose myself, I don't regret any of them, I always choose good games.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
- Doom 3 and most of the FPS shovelware that gets released nowadays
- each and any JRPG I made the mistake of trying
- each and any Metal Gear Solid game I made the mistake of trying
(I can surmise that the vast majority of Japanese games are utter shit, with only rare exceptions like Dark Souls & Demon's Souls)
- most MMOs (everything except Ultima Online, EVE-Online, Perpetuum and the original, unmolested, SW Galaxies)
- each and any GTA games that I made the mistake of trying
- NWN1 OC

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As a semi-professional game reviewer...

zrdIl.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I did play Mass Effect and while I thought it was mediocre to poor I don't know if I 'regret' playing it. I mean, I loathe console cover shooters but... eh... I don't know... I finished it. Arcania was so bad I just had to flat out stop playing.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
"Regret" is probably not the right word for it, but Dragon Age: Origins was one of the biggest wastes of time for me. The game seemed promising at start but it just got worse and worse until playing it started to feel like a chore, but I still had to finish it because I had already wasted so much time on it. The combat, the story, the world, the characters, the writing, the romances and everything else about the game feels now like a distant nightmare. If you try to be objective, it's not really even that bad a game by today's standards, but the in-your-face gay love interests, the DLC whoring, the BioWare clichés, the godawful art style and numerous other things just made me hate everything about the thing. I wish I could just get rid of the goddamn game. I'd give it away for free if it wasn't locked on to my EAware account or something. I was pretty close to literally hacking the game box and the disc to pieces after finishing the game, which has never happened before. It belongs in the trash.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher

I would've said NWN too, but I really can't remember anything about the game so I guess at least it wasn't very traumatic for me :)

"Regret" is probably not the right word for it, but Dragon Age: Origins was one of the biggest wastes of time for me. The game seemed promising at start but it just got worse and worse until playing it started to feel like a chore, but I still had to finish it because I had already wasted so much time on it.

Well, I regret the time I feel I wasted...
And I agree the game objectively probably wasn't so bad, but the disappointment was huge for me.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
- Dragon Age: Origins. It's a big letdown after 10-20 hours of play when you discover how banal this game is.
- Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. All for obvious reasons.
- Neverwinter Nights 2. So boring.
- And probably a ton of other games I don't remember now.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Have you ever played a game for a while, whether 5, 10 hours or even finishing it, only to realize it is utter shit and regretting you wasted even one second playing?

You're asking this on the Codex?

Spore. It looked promising but once getting to the space stage I wanted to kill myself for going past the single-cell stage. Who managaes an interstellar empire ship by ship in real time?????

Mass Effect 2. - I liked ME1 a bit more than I should have and was looking forward to the second one. I kept telling myself the horrible broken continuity would resolve itself, the missions would get interesting, the sudden retconning of ammo wasn't so bad, etc. It only sank in at the end that I shouldn't have wasted my time.

Supreme Commander 2. It takes a dump in the face of Supreme Commander, (which is already a poor man's version of Total Annihilation), then offers to apologise, dresses up in a tuxedo, gets a haircut, shows up to a fancy party in front of the whole world, and rapes a baby on camera. Seriously that bad.

C&C Renegade and C&C 4. Enough said.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The Sims 3 - Call me an architeture fag, bu I deeply enjoyed making houses on The Sims 1. Skipped Sims 2 and went for 3, just to be completly dissapointed and how even biulding houses feels shitty now...
Recently, Secret World's Beta. I downloaded 11GB just to play about an hour and unninstall.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The Sims 3 - Call me an architeture fag, bu I deeply enjoyed making houses on The Sims 1. Skipped Sims 2 and went for 3, just to be completly dissapointed and how even biulding houses feels shitty now...
Recently, Secret World's Beta. I downloaded 11GB just to play about an hour and unninstall.

Heh, I'll second that. Though it took me quite a few pirated expasions and hours of getting the patches not to destroy the game before I quit. I believe I quit after an expansion added Facebook integration. (You have cooked macaroni. Would you like to post it on Facebook?)

The series was a guilty pleasure for a long time...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Fable 1, babby's first action rpg pretending to not be one
Spore, what a fucking waste

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oblivion, Ultima IX, Gothic 3, Borderlands, Deus Ex Invisible War, Daikatana, Fable 3.

Not arguing that those games were indeed awful, but why regret playing them ever? That takes a special kind of crappiness to achieve...

Angthoron

Arcane
MayDay.

There's more but this fucking pops into my head right away. Fucking MayDay. Screw you, people, compared to MayDay, everything listed in this thread is like a sandbox of regret to fortress of regret. Also, RAGE. Fuck that thing. It's not even a game, OH HI GUY WANT TO SEE SUPERDETAILED ANIMATIONS OF THIS ONE AND THE SAME MONSTER? FIGHT OFF 20 WAVES OF IT AS AN ENDGAME ENCOUNTER FOR 10 MINUTES FUCK YES.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Some of titles, which leaved a bad taste on the keyboard:

Crysis 2 - playing and waiting and waiting... for a "proper crysis" feeling... that never comes, of course.
COD: MW (one) - supposedly the best of MW, but... not even close to old'good COD 2. Waste of time.
Alpha Protocol - somewhat cool until... the first boss battle.
Fear 2 - where is a deadly A.I from Fear 1...? Again, waste of time.

Multi-headed Cow

Not sure I really regret playing games. I've sure as fuck played bad games, but I normally don't play them long enough to actually regret it. I guess I could say I regret playing WoW since even though I had some good times with buddies, that was $15 a month and took way more time than it should have for the amount of enjoyment generated.

I even sorta liked Sims 3 (And played 1 and 2). :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom