Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you regret playing

Grimlorn

Arcane
Recently that I can remember
Dragon Age 2
Final Fantasy 13

Sacculina

Educated
Games I regretted wasting my time on within five hours:

Mass Effect
Knights of the Old Republic
Far Cry
Soldier of Fortune 2
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
Half-Life 2 episodes
Skyrim

I would add Dragon Age 2 to that list, but I went in expecting lulz and didn't realize the full depths of its shittiness until much later.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fallout 3 - I honestly though people were trolling about how bad a fucking game it was. They weren't. Gawd.... Why did they even spend 1 penny on buying this Trademark and do nothing with this setting and lore?

Dragon Age: O - Good Potential, but ruined by horrible world setting. They has SO much free room and potential to do a different Tolkien™ setting but caved into a shit Tolkien supervised Playground, as Yahtzee was so spot on about. (That what sells!).

Ultima IX - jebus fucking chris... what in the fuck were they thinking? I guess Gariott felt like trolling the entire Ultima community, or something....

sser

Arcane
Developer
There are a lot of games I regret buying and playing. A lot. Too many. Too many I knew would suck and yet I picked up anyway thinking they could get me to think otherwise.

However, Empire: Total War pretty much takes the cake. I played that game a lot. Enough to know all its shitty bugs and realize the inoperable state it had been released. Total waste of time. Utter waste of money. I have completely refused to purchase another CA game since.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
NWN OC
Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Oblivion
Any MMORPG
Fallout 3 (New Vegas was ok though)
Avadon
Demon Stone (came as part of a GOG bundle, still don't know what i was thinking trying to play it though)

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Clearly, Fallout 3 - still can't go over the orcish super mutants and FPS Action
It's the one that made me come to the codex after all

Edit: And FFVIII/FFXII too, and most of the recent jRPGs, except for Black Panther

Kersey

Educated
My first D&D game was Temple of Elemental Evil which I was attracted to because it was made by Troika and I liked Arcanum quite a lot, as well as Fallout so I thought I'd give it a chance. (I had been aware of the Gold Box games growing up but neither fantasy nor RPG's really grabbed me back then so I didn't give any of them a try at the time.) Well turns out I loved it, in spite of it getting pretty much slammed in reviews. And the same reviewers had more or less loved the similar-looking Baldur's Gate series which I could get for peanuts by then. So they should be even better, right? I made it into the city in Baldur's Gate after quite a bit of playing and just didn't have much fun at all with it so I quit playing and never got back to it. Don't know if there's much to regret about it though since I only paid peanuts for it.

At some point I bought the NWN "Diamond Edition" or something like that, also for peanuts. Figured I'd get a lot of game for my money even if it wasn't right up my alley. Didn't play it much and liked it even less. This one I do regret a little because by then I really should have known better.

I've played a lot of shitty games but usually I know what I'm getting into. It's worse when I have expectations to the contrary. The only exceptions to that I can think of are some shitty Final Fantasy spinoffs I once tried on a Nintendo DS, I didn't expect anything from them but still I was very disappointed.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Titan Quest - Not that it's a bad game, just not my cup of tea
Dragon age 2 Demo - Luckily, trying out the demo saved me from the derp roads
NWN2 SOZ - Boring story and wonky camera, nuff said
Mass effect 3 - played it from start to (derp) finish, so I could leave ME behind... forever

Morkar Left

Oblivion - I spent countless hours on it in an futile effort to make the game playable through mods. I partly succeeded but it was still blunt enough for not beeing worth the effort.

KotOR 2 - first half was good (but weak combat and small areas/no exploration), second half and especially the end was rage inducing, bugged, horribly rushed and took away any satisfaction for playing it.

NWN OC - besides other weaknesses like instant hp regeneration mostly boooooorrrring...

NWN2 OC - fucked up linear campaign without any exploration or choices, fucked up noone-dies-npcs without proper customization, excessive magical loot everywhere

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Every single MMO I've ever played.

So WoW and SW:ToR (toyed around with EvE and DDO but quit but of those before spending any quality time with them... WoW and ToR, that's quality time I will never get back...)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've bought a few games that I've regretted buying. But playing? Only 2 games fit that bill: Bioshock 1 and 2.

Deleted member 7219

I don't really regret playing awful games, because if I didn't play them, I'd never know they were bad. There have been some games I've started playing and thought they were awful but stuck with them and loved them by the end (Fallout, Fallout 2).

Recently though, I've wasted a few £s buying Arcania when it was really cheap, I thought it might be interesting to see how awful it was. But it wasn't interesting. Nothing about it stood out, not even its awfulness. It had that mediocre, samey kind of terribleness.

Another recent game I hated was Fable III. Like Arcania, I got it dirt cheap in a Steam sale. I think I bought it because I remember reading a review that said, when you become King, you get to do some cool stuff. Like fuck you do. The game is stupid. With Arcania you can't help but excuse it as being, "Well, they couldn't have done any better. They were talentless to begin with." But Fable III came from a wealthy, popular, well-established developer with huge publisher backing. It really could and should have been better, it has no excuse for being this terrible.

Angry Joe isn't that funny, but he's spot in in this video:

People who say they regret playing Fallout: New Vegas and KOTOR2 need to rethink their lives.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Mass Effect 1-3
Only took playing/beating all 3 games to realize you hated them?

Nah, I started hating it with ME2 and the leaks of ME3 sealed the deal of what a shitty franchise it was. I only got the third one to pop moles as I stopped giving a fuck about the story by that point.
Vanguard was pretty fun once you could use charge regularly, but I feel the same way about ME2.

lefthandblack

Arcane
I'm currently raging hard at Dead Space 2. I bought both of them for dirt cheap off of Amazon a while back and just got around to playing the second. The first one had some parts that made me rage, but nothing compared to the second.

In game dlc advertisements. No shit you can't connect to EA servers, that's because your ass is firewalled.

One QTE is too many, thirty of them make me contemplate the murder of whomever is responsible.

That deathscene shit was interesting the first time you blindsided me with instadeath; making me sit through one every time I die to anything is beyond pushing it, especially when I die because I didn't tap the 'e' key fast enough.

I almost used the dvd for target practice about a third of the way into the game, then the middle of the game got substantially better and I was actually enjoying myself somewhat. Now, I'm at the end and it's cranked up the bullshit to eleven. Evidently there isn't a god mode cheat unless you download a trainer; that's how I got though DA's ending and this one is twice as bad. I will say that the visuals are awesome, particularly the lighting. The atmosphere and level design are great, too bad it's wasted on this game and not something better.

:dannyglovertoooldforthisshit:

toroid

Arcane
Every MMO. EVE and early Everquest were kinda fun, but still regrettable.
Minecraft. Fuck minecraft so hard. I feel intense hatred for this game now. And the community is the worst on the entire internet.
Fallout 3. The remnant stupidity still hurts me. Uninstalled and deleted at post-nuke Moira. Urrgh-aahh I can feel it

Kylearan

Educated
Spore, what a fucking waste

:bro:

For me, the biggest disappointment was probably Titan Quest. I waited and waited and waited for it to become interesting and it just never happened. By the time I slogged my way through Normal difficulty I was done.

OH, and The 7th Saga. The problem with that one is I've never actually beaten it, and sometimes I feel this compulsion to go back and try again... Only to get fed up with the constant grinding required to advance anywhere past the halfway point of the game. It also doesn't help that I KNOW the game becomes stupidly unfair near the end.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think I have one that can top most of these: Huygen's Disclosure is the game that I most regret playing. It was also my first adventure, and so, consequently, I did not get into adventure games until I was much older.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom