Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gamespot gives 3.5 for "dumbing down"

Cassidy

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Cassidy said:
I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to ask, but considering the last subject was Rise of Nations, here it is: is the fantasy steampunk "sequel" Rise of Legends a good RTS or a is it pile of dung?

I remember looking forward to that, and then all of sudden quit giving a shit and never even bothered when it was released. What was it called anyway?

Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends.

Anyway seems like it's heavily graphics-intensive, so I'm definitively not going to get it anytime soon, if I do it at all. The bad news is that I had the impression it's more bloated with unnecessary and potentially balance-breaking stuff than Empire Earth, so it was probably not a bad idea to ignore it.

John Yossarian

Magister
I'll have to give RoN another try. I vaguely remember some multiple bases, attrition circles and TB+RT mix of sorts. Was that the one with nuclear bombs coming out of silos? I remember doing that to my roomate in some RTS game, but I'm not sure right now.

Does anyone else feel like AoE 2 is a game you'll never stop replaying, even if you live to be 200? Everytime I meet someone that's even a little interested in RTSes I tell him we have to play Ages. I never get tired of re-re-re-becoming better at it. Plus, it's graphics are just great. I don't think I've ever loved a game for its graphics so much. Maybe Pharaoh, or Deus Ex. Fap fap.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
John Yossarian said:
I'll have to give RoN another try. I vaguely remember some multiple bases, attrition circles and TB+RT mix of sorts. Was that the one with nuclear bombs coming out of silos? I remember doing that to my roomate in some RTS game, but I'm not sure right now.

Does anyone else feel like AoE 2 is a game you'll never stop replaying, even if you live to be 200? Everytime I meet someone that's even a little interested in RTSes I tell him we have to play Ages. I never get tired of re-re-re-becoming better at it. Plus, it's graphics are just great. I don't think I've ever loved a game for its graphics so much. Maybe Pharaoh, or Deus Ex. Fap fap.

Yeah, your description basically fits to RoN. And it rocks.

Also, AoE 2... one of the best games ever, indeed. The graphics are so fucking classy and look so authentically medieval... the thing I'd have loved most would've been if every nation had unique unit models [at least the Asians, Europeans and Arabs], then those graphics would've been perfect. The only strategy game with better graphics is Knights of Honor, which is 2D, too, and nicely detailed. Heck, 2D is so totally superior to 3D in every way for strategy games... it's just a lot more beautiful.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The Walkin' Dude said:
Can somebody explain why AoE 2 is so good while AoE 3 a fail?

Because AoE 3 is dumbed down to hell?

Okay, some of the new features are fun, like the home city, but for one point the new 3D look is inferior to the nice 2D graphics of AoE2, which is one reason why I like it less, and resource collecting has been made less interesting with removing storage buildings and addign the resources directly to the stock without your peasants having to carry them to the base.

Also, artillery is overpowered compared to AoE2, both against buildings and units, and the game feels a lot easier than AoE2, with less clever unit-management necessary for victory. And you have less nations to choose from.

Finally, the campaign sucks. It's some pseudo-historical fantasy crap instead of the interesting historical campaigns from AoE2. You can notice on the campaigns that this game is more mainstreamy than the predecessor because of this more "trendy" story.

And, ultimately, it's simply less fun to play than AoE2, especially in multiplayer. And that's what's important in RTS games.

Deleted member 7219

JarlFrank said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Can somebody explain why AoE 2 is so good while AoE 3 a fail?

Finally, the campaign sucks. It's some pseudo-historical fantasy crap instead of the interesting historical campaigns from AoE2. You can notice on the campaigns that this game is more mainstreamy than the predecessor because of this more "trendy" story.

I'd agree with that statement the most. Though I also think I disliked AOE3 because of the card system... it just didn't feel AOE-y. It was trying to bring in the AOM god powers in a suitable way, and it was totally un-necessary.

Texas Red

Whiner
What would be the best RTS that you would recommend to a noobie? Something that has it all, like Fallout for RPGs.

Deleted member 7219

Company of Heroes

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade

Age of Mythology

Warcraft III

are probably my favourite RTS of recent times...

Cassidy

Arcane
The Walkin' Dude said:
What would be the best RTS that you would recommend to a noobie? Something that has it all, like Fallout for RPGs.

Ground Control 1 and Myth: The Fallen Lords, because they allow you to focus exclusively on combat tactics: once you mastered that area of RTS gaming you won't have to master both combat and resource management, which share common principles to all RTSes, at the same time.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Starcraft, you retards.

I recently reinstalled Age of Mythology........that game just isn't very good, is it? And it's kinda hidden that it sucks because (even though the graphics are not particularly good) there's a lot of cool stuff in it, all the mythology and whatnot. I have Age of Empires 2: Conquerors installed and that game is a lot harder than I remember it...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
kingcomrade said:
Starcraft, you retards.

I recently reinstalled Age of Mythology........that game just isn't very good, is it? And it's kinda hidden that it sucks because (even though the graphics are not particularly good) there's a lot of cool stuff in it, all the mythology and whatnot. I have Age of Empires 2: Conquerors installed and that game is a lot harder than I remember it...

I actually pretty liked Age of Mythology. It's a nice twist on the AoE series with all the mythical stuff thrown into it, and the different cultures also have a kinda different play style to it [not as much as in Starcraft or WC3 though] and it's an overall fun game. Had some great multiplayer matches with that one.

And it's definitely better than AoE3.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
kingcomrade said:
Starcraft, you retards.

But Blizzard r selouts wut about Wow?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom