Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview GameSpot UK spends a bit more time with Fallout 3

Fez said:
You can give fifty options if you want, but it's a heap of shit if they don't actually have any real effect on the dialogue. I can remember in the KOTOR games (and others) that annoying me. I'd choose one option instead of another and the reply from the NPC would be the same as the last time and the whole conversation would unfold the same too. Lame. Fake choices.

KOTOR wasn't exactly made by people who know how to do decisions well, let me remind you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Rat Keeng said:
12. "Everyone who's dad is still alive, take one step forward-NOT SO FAST BRYAN!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rat Keeng is now officially in charge of the "Fallout 3 rewritten!" Codex mod.

elander_

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
This quest is basic. A bunch of guys on a forum can improve it. You can involve loot in it and your evil character will have a bigger motive.

It makes you wonder why would they use such a poor dialog example and a very basic quest to advertise the game.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
elander_ said:
Dark Individual said:
This quest is basic. A bunch of guys on a forum can improve it. You can involve loot in it and your evil character will have a bigger motive.

It makes you wonder why would they use such a poor dialog example and a very basic quest to advertise the game.
Because the other quests are JRPG-style?

You must save Megaton!
OKAY
>NO

You must save Megaton!
OKAY
>NO

You must save Megaton
>OKAY
NO

Thank you, brave Dweller of Vaults.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
This quest would be a thousand times better if it was "You must save Megatron"

MetalCraze

Arcane
Megaton is a bunch of retards - people which went from using hi-tech in their vaults to worshipping a retarded anomaly that is an unexploded nuclear bomb and built a city around it like they've lost their brains due to some reason. Maybe vaults had too much xbawks.
You actually will make a good deed by ending their pitiful existence.
The choice points to itself and not even a cool-black-army-guy cliche on steroids that is sheriff will change what must be done.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I do believe it hasn't been said anywhere that the inhabitants of Megaton are former vault dwellers.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well then lucky survivors - it doesn't matter really - as it still doesn't explain how exactly you can shift from being more or less normal man whose grandparents obviously were civilised to a worshipper of a bomb which will go off as soon as some random guy will casually press a button because somebody wants to do something with the territory that will glow with radiation for decades afterwards. Hey even live in a city built around that bomb.
But I guess it's the part of that Beth humour.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I think that's the one. It has a few different outcomes depending on wether you save her child or not, and then what you tell her when you've defeated the monsters in her house."

Yeah, she was a widow who had her children kidnapped. You find out what happens to them,a nd that they were actually turned into hideous monsters.. that you killed.

You can lie to her, and she thanks you for 'saving them'. (though, you never see what happens when she finally figures out her chidlren ain't coming back).

You can tell her the truth, and she runs out fo the inn/tavern screaming into a pack of thugs who she fights with right away and dies.

You only witness this if you follow her though, and there's a way to svae her if youa re quick; but it was much cooler for the events to unfold as above.

One of my favorite quests ever despite it being relatively short and not exactly deep in long term consequences for the player.

I definiotely did not expect her to run off and get murdered by thugs. WOWSERS!

As for the FO quest, guys: What did you alle xpect? It's Bethesda. :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh? You haven't been paying attention. I hate Bethesda games. I don't care if Codexers agree with me or not. I don't base my opinions on what others think. Sorry.

Shoelip

Arbiter
PlanHex said:
Rat Keeng said:
12. "Everyone who's dad is still alive, take one step forward-NOT SO FAST BRYAN!"
Which episode is that from again?

The one with the contortionist quintuplets.

Vault Dweller said:
Rat Keeng said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rat Keeng is now officially in charge of the "Fallout 3 rewritten!" Codex mod.

Hey, can I get a mod if I rip off South Park lines too?

Winter Ale

Novice
skyway said:
Well then lucky survivors - it doesn't matter really - as it still doesn't explain how exactly you can shift from being more or less normal man whose grandparents obviously were civilised to a worshipper of a bomb which will go off as soon as some random guy will casually press a button because somebody wants to do something with the territory that will glow with radiation for decades afterwards. Hey even live in a city built around that bomb.
But I guess it's the part of that Beth humour.

What would you expect? This is Emil Pagliarulo we're talking about. Lead Designer for Fallout 3. This is a first post here, and I'm thinking maybe I can do so by handing out a bit of context -- Emil is a former game reviewer for Adrenaline Vault. The man gave Blood an across-the-board five star out of five rating.

That tells you ALL you really need to know. But if you want more details, read on. First, in case there's anyone young then here's a link to Blood. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/blood/review.html

Let me be fair. He loved Thief. He loved System Shock 2. To his credit he wrote later that that review score was a mistake -- but do you get my hint from the above that the boy might be a bit of a chowderhead? I speak from some experience - I read that site for something like two to three years. Most of his reviews were actually decent. There were just... a few....

Better description. He's the kind of boy who spent so much time focusing on 'Bloody Mess' part of Fallout that the rest of the game faded into the distance. A nuclear gun? Wow, that'd be cool! A vault in a nuke crater? Yeah! This is all in character for him. I can't say I'm surprised at the flat out DUMB ideas him and his team have come up with.

Still, I'm not happy. I checked in today on some of the previews to see if they really were going to work it somehow. This is not promising. But -- guys -- THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING DRAKENSANG.

Final comments --
I'm saying all this and I actually LIKE Oblivion.

I'd be MAYBE happy with Oblivion with guns with another name. Then again, I thought Half Life 2 was a steaming pile because of all of the cheese.

What's the chance we'd find in fake F3 a few hundred zillion sawmill blades lying around a residential district? So far it sounds in character.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Bradylama said:
"Help me mister, I can't find my dad. I've looked everywhere except our house!" :(
logic, we don't need no stinking logic! :lol:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Volrath said:
Bradylama said:
"Help me mister, I can't find my dad. I've looked everywhere except our house!" :(
logic, we don't need no stinking logic! :lol:
What is this "logic" thing you are talking about?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Bradylama said:

That's probably the randomization I think I heard about. So from all the possible places in the Fallout universe, he happened to be in that place at that time.
Other possible place include Over That Hill or Right Behind The Kid.

DiverNB

Liturgist
What about an option to send the boy to his father's same fate? To make it interesting, the boy could have some type of valuable on him that would only be attainable through his death.

Maybe something like
(LIE) "Bryan, your father is fine and looking for you, he wants you to meet him at X place"

This way, you aren't charged for murder and you still get that nice piece of loot the boy carried.

That'd be pretty cool imo.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DiverNB said:
What about an option to send the boy to his father's same fate? To make it interesting, the boy could have some type of valuable on him that would only be attainable through his death.

What
You want Beth to...

THINK?!

DiverNB

Liturgist
skyway said:
DiverNB said:

What
You want Beth to...

THINK?!

I'm just saying it would be a good role playing option for that sort of evil person who is more manipulative than say brute force. I don't really expect that kind of an option from Beth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom