Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GAMMA ZONE

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Really stuck into it for the past two weeks, coming along good. Spent quite a bit of time working on the world map and unlocking of the various campaigns.

Play is similar to Elminage Gothic, great combat with fantastic bevy of post-apocalyptic creatures and combatants.

Each campaign unlocks the one that follows it for a total of five, I expect around 60 hours of play altogether.

Each campaign has an RPG manual cover designed to look like a supplement, once completed you can go back into each campaign even after finishing it.

I expect in updates to contribute more areas and unlockable adventures that will appear as new locations on the world map. The first campaign is finished and working, will put up some screen shots shortly.

The first campaign's working title at present is "A MATTER OF TIME." All five campaigns are extremely different and involve very interesting plots and subplots set in the Gamma Zone world.

I gave up on the Wizardry-style format of portraits left and right and put them all along the bottom now, no more than four. It works out well in terms of screen space and leaves plenty of room for everything else.

P.S. Was experimenting with making the blobber environment look like a found footage archiving function with video scanlines and recording messages plus time, etc. Not sure but I think it could really work well. Still tinkering with it.

P.P.S. Long since got rid of those super cartoony graphics I had in the original screenshots, now replaced with a much higher standard of artwork. Still looks like graphic comic artwork, just of a much higher quality. You can see the item icon samples here I am working with now ... https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/gui/icons/survival-icons-megapack-238993 ... using all the portraits from the same author for 36 male, 36 female with a few added portraits from other asset packs I own.

P.P.P.S. Using the FUDGE system with attributes max 10 instead of 7 and it's working really good in combats. It combines well with nearly every effect to produce good combat math.

P.P.P.P.S. I actually have the first campaign and the trainer dungeon working, which I use to debug a lot of the items, abilities and combats by just jumping straight into it every game. The trainer dungeon is pretty good and I was thinking of releasing this version for free on the Steam page, with the five campaigns available in the paid edition. The trainer dungeon got so good I kept adding stuff to it to make sure the players go up a couple levels and have learned everything they need to know to progress by the time they finish it.

P.P.P.P.P.S. Weapon, Armor and item upgrades are working from upgrade workbenches which have little robotic arms at work when activated. They have a chit system that is similar to the one you see in RESIDENT EVIL : REVELATIONS TWO if you have played that.

gzcampaign1.png

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This may sound odd, but what are the chances of you considering having the character portraits actually facing forwards as opposed to facing the player? Imagine a blobber that plays exactly like your pic above looks.

For anyone who wants to be able to see their characters' faces, have them face the player only while the Character screen is brought up.

Just an idea.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
This may sound odd, but what are the chances of you considering having the character portraits actually facing forwards as opposed to facing the player? Imagine a blobber that plays exactly like your pic above looks.

For anyone who wants to be able to see their characters' faces, have them face the player only while the Character screen is brought up.

Just an idea.
I'd have to find an artist to draw 72 new portraits that are versions of the old portraits facing forward.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
1) did you use AI and how much. are you satisfied with the results?
2) footage, when?

hpstg

Savant
I'm more excited about this thread than about the game, the mood it's going for looks nice though, but it will probably require a real and good artist to keep it consistent.

EvilWolf

Learned
Really stuck into it for the past two weeks, coming along good. Spent quite a bit of time working on the world map and unlocking of the various campaigns.

Play is similar to Elminage Gothic, great combat with fantastic bevy of post-apocalyptic creatures and combatants.

Each campaign unlocks the one that follows it for a total of five, I expect around 60 hours of play altogether.

Each campaign has an RPG manual cover designed to look like a supplement, once completed you can go back into each campaign even after finishing it.

I expect in updates to contribute more areas and unlockable adventures that will appear as new locations on the world map. The first campaign is finished and working, will put up some screen shots shortly.

The first campaign's working title at present is "A MATTER OF TIME." All five campaigns are extremely different and involve very interesting plots and subplots set in the Gamma Zone world.

I gave up on the Wizardry-style format of portraits left and right and put them all along the bottom now, no more than four. It works out well in terms of screen space and leaves plenty of room for everything else.

P.S. Was experimenting with making the blobber environment look like a found footage archiving function with video scanlines and recording messages plus time, etc. Not sure but I think it could really work well. Still tinkering with it.

P.P.S. Long since got rid of those super cartoony graphics I had in the original screenshots, now replaced with a much higher standard of artwork. Still looks like graphic comic artwork, just of a much higher quality. You can see the item icon samples here I am working with now ... https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/gui/icons/survival-icons-megapack-238993 ... using all the portraits from the same author for 36 male, 36 female with a few added portraits from other asset packs I own.

P.P.P.S. Using the FUDGE system with attributes max 10 instead of 7 and it's working really good in combats. It combines well with nearly every effect to produce good combat math.

P.P.P.P.S. I actually have the first campaign and the trainer dungeon working, which I use to debug a lot of the items, abilities and combats by just jumping straight into it every game. The trainer dungeon is pretty good and I was thinking of releasing this version for free on the Steam page, with the five campaigns available in the paid edition. The trainer dungeon got so good I kept adding stuff to it to make sure the players go up a couple levels and have learned everything they need to know to progress by the time they finish it.

P.P.P.P.P.S. Weapon, Armor and item upgrades are working from upgrade workbenches which have little robotic arms at work when activated. They have a chit system that is similar to the one you see in RESIDENT EVIL : REVELATIONS TWO if you have played that.

View attachment 38578
Will this one work out of the box or will I have to edit a bunch of files and change the executables compatibility to even approach 1080p fullscreen without the game completely shitting itself?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

View attachment 38578
Will this one work out of the box or will I have to edit a bunch of files and change the executables compatibility to even approach 1080p fullscreen without the game completely shitting itself?
At least a dozen people had this problem with Grimoire, so I guess it was pretty major out of the 40,000 copies sold.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
nearly everyone had this problem cleve. still isnt fixed because it cannot be fixed. but whatever. grimoire is a great game

EvilWolf Solution to mouse problems - reduce mouse polling rate to 125 Hz in driver software

Solution to improper scaling - set your launch options in steam properties for the game to -w1024 -h768

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
In "A MATTER OF TIME," the first campaign, you discover that the atomic clock they were calibrating time with as a source of truth was destroyed by a high altitude EMP burst launched by an evil paramilitary group called THE HAND OF SHIVA. (Could be compared to the Enclave in Fallout)

There is still an old world satellite in orbit that has an atomic clock on board that can be contacted by venturing to a remote research station and aligning the dedicated dish on the roof. First we have to find the cryptographic key for the satellite communications system and then upload new encryption code to enable it to communicate with our base on the ground.

We also have to find a rubidium oscillator chip at this location because they are very scarce where we came from. When we return to base and they install the chip and contact the satellite, the resulting synchronization allows our base to connect to all the other bases because their encryption schemes all depended on synchronized timing for random number generation seeds.

At this point we finally receive a distress call from a remote base that is under seige by a hostile force, setting up the second campaign.

Each campaign ends in a cliffhanger which leads directly to the next chapter.

The last chapter is "EXPEDITION TO SKYDOME," where all the questions raised in the other chapters are answered. Skydome is a secret government research lab on a mountain that generates its own cloud cover to conceal itself. Kind of similar to "THE BIG MT" in Fallout 4.

EvilWolf

Learned
In "A MATTER OF TIME," the first campaign, you discover that the atomic clock they were calibrating time with as a source of truth was destroyed by a high altitude EMP burst launched by an evil paramilitary group called THE HAND OF SHIVA. (Could be compared to the Enclave in Fallout)

There is still an old world satellite in orbit that has an atomic clock on board that can be contacted by venturing to a remote research station and aligning the dedicated dish on the roof. First we have to find the cryptographic key for the satellite communications system and then upload new encryption code to enable it to communicate with our base on the ground.

We also have to find a rubidium oscillator chip at this location because they are very scarce where we came from. When we return to base and they install the chip and contact the satellite, the resulting synchronization allows our base to connect to all the other bases because their encryption schemes all depended on synchronized timing for random number generation seeds.

At this point we finally receive a distress call from a remote base that is under seige by a hostile force, setting up the second campaign.

The last chapter is "EXPEDITION TO SKYDOME," where all the questions raised in the other chapters are answered. Skydome is a secret government research lab on a mountain that generates its own cloud cover to conceal itself. Kind of similar to "THE BIG MT" in Fallout 4.
I can't wait to play this, loved Grimoire and this setting seems really interesting. Also The Big MT is from New Vegas, not 4. I mix up the "Northeastern United States remote Island" DLCs between 3 and 4 all the time.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
sounds cool but give us some screenshots
Still tinkering with the look'n'feel to improve on Eliminage Gothic with a more comic book feel to everything.

So is GAMMA ZONE the official name of your next CRPG?

I remember you played a bit with that lovecraftian game

Which one is your next game and will it have the same ammount of content as Grimoire or less? (since Grimoire is huge)

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Still tinkering with the look'n'feel to improve on Eliminage Gothic with a more comic book feel to everything.

Which one is your next game and will it have the same ammount of content as Grimoire or less? (since Grimoire is huge)
Exact same engine will be used for Lovecraft game that I have cobbled together now. Exact same format. Combat and exploration very similar to Elminage Gothic except my environments, monsters and battles look way better, more spectacular fx.

In GAMMA ZONE, the hub where you get all your campaigns is the desert base you hail from. All the campaigns launch from this central area, which is nearly identical to Wizardry and Eliminage style games where you get medical attention, buy supplies, talk to NPCs and learn new skills and abilities here. I am still contemplating limiting saves to this area.

In the untitled Lovecraft game (using those portraits I put up a while back) your hub is Miskatonic University and the staff there outfits you, get you cured of conditions, rest, etc. exactly as in this game. Both games you hire new party members to replace ones who get killed in battle in what passes for a "tavern" in both games. Same formats as the original Wizardry but getting away from the tired old fantasy settings and into exciting new genres of play.

I tried doing some conversations with 2D similar to the Syncro-Vox method used on old Saturday morning cartoons with one set of lips for every static NPC drawing but it looks kind of odd, still working on it. Makes the conversations better with animation if you have voice over dialogue.

Menu screen underway, getting better but good enough for testing and general debugging at present. This replaces that old menu screen I once put up a screen shot of. Text font on the buttons just a placeholder, will likely be replaced by Viper Nora that resembles Fallout font. (Gothic 481)

Pretty sure I will be going for Monofonto for a lot of the in-game text, same font used for console in the original Fallout game. https://www.dafont.com/monofonto.font

P.S. I have come up with an absolutely awesome character creator which will likely be used as-is in the Lovecraft genre version. It's a wizard that guides you through panels of data at each step to fill a slot for each of the four characters, which you can bail out of any time and leave slots unoccupied if you want to start with one or more party characters. The portrait selection and the name generator both have random hints and suggestions just like Grimoire.

gzmenu.jpg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Yes 100%, this one is way too far advanced now, completing it since it is winning on every level for me. All the early planning I did on this engine is paying off in spades, it's really turned out well once I found a decent way to do the map design.

This game will have five campaigns with around 12 hours each campaign of gameplay, for a total of around 60 hours I am aiming for. I expect every game in this series built on this engine will debut at $24.95 on Steam each time.

This game will be far less open world and more guided in every way in steering you where you should go next. There will be a quest log in the game and it's similar to the one in Fallout 3-4. Trees of tasks with checkmarks for each one you accomplish and hints of what you should be doing next.

I am trying to implement the hash mark system of damage in the Fudge system but hitpoints are so much damned easier I am just using these now for testing. The final game may have hashed marks for minor, severe and heavy damage as in the original Fudge manual.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

I can't wait to play this, loved Grimoire and this setting seems really interesting. Also The Big MT is from New Vegas, not 4. I mix up the "Northeastern United States remote Island" DLCs between 3 and 4 all the time.
Right, Fallout NV. I never get tired of that DLC, it's an awesome sci-fi adventure just that one DLC module on its own. Other games suck in comparison to just one DLC from FNV. Replaying the DEAD MONEY one again now at the Sierra Madre.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Focus on one game and finish it please
This one is closer than any other to completion since Grimoire. I think there has been a lot less work to get to this point because of Unity. If I was writing it from scratch in C++ all over again I am not sure how much time I might have wasted trying different approaches to the environment depiction for the blobber.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
i still hope GAMMA ZONE will have some originality

dont want to see a Grimoire reskin

Hoping for some original classes with cool mechanics. And some core pillars that are fresh and interesting

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
yeah thats obvious, i mean gameplay

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom