Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gandalf's Encounters - Knights of the Chalice 2 Module

Gandalf

Arbiter
Hey guys,

Gandalf's Encounters is a module for the game Knights of the Chalice 2 that I'm working on since October 2023.
It's old-school style with a heavy emphasis on combat.

Only the most hardcore players will manage to complete it.

I invite you to play the current version, which is available for download at this link (please scroll the page down):

https://gandalfsencounters.itch.io/gandalfsencounters

Are you up to the challenge? I hope you decide to play it!

Please consider buying the Gandalf's Encounters Beta v 0.01 soundtrack found on bandcamp. It will prove helpful to me.

Bandcamp link: https://gandalfsencounters.bandcamp.com/album/gandalfs-encounters-beta-001

----------------------

Playing advise:

Play the game in Challenge Mode (Normal) with the token view enabled.

Adjust the volume of the music to your liking.

-------------------
Screenshots (click to enlarge):
8GBuP9R.jpeg
T8Eq0sD.jpeg
a13mR8b.jpeg

Happy adventuring!

Last edited:

Gandalf

Arbiter
2 February 2024, update:

1. FIX/CHANGE: The introductory splash screens were resized from 1920x1080 to 1000x730 pixels, so they can be viewed without any problems in windowed mode and on smaller than 1920x1080 resolutions.

2. CHANGE: Cropped the instroductory screen with logo to 1000x730 pixels for the same reasons as above.

3. NEW: Added "Click to continue" text to one of the introductory blank screens.

The update should be up in about 20 minutes.

fZ2Zkd0.png

Happy adventuring!

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Amazing. Thank you so much for giving us hope.

I'll probably not play it for at least 10 years.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Hey Gandalf, thats awesome, going to run it the next day or two. I have a couple of things I use when I dream about finishing a module for kotc2 that might be helpful, depending.

One is Dungeon Alchemist, a great little map tool that makes nice top down maps really fast for the editor.

and theres this guy Dark Fantasy Studios which is royalty and copyright free music which is actually pretty good and theres alot of it, for inspiration purpose or maybe useful later in your adventure.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to work on something.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Hey Gandalf, thats awesome, going to run it the next day or two. I have a couple of things I use when I dream about finishing a module for kotc2 that might be helpful, depending.

One is Dungeon Alchemist, a great little map tool that makes nice top down maps really fast for the editor.

and theres this guy Dark Fantasy Studios which is royalty and copyright free music which is actually pretty good and theres alot of it, for inspiration purpose or maybe useful later in your adventure.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to work on something.
Hey warcrimes666, thanks a lot for taking an interest in my module and sharing these links. This is cool stuff.

I will be rolling out a new update later today. This will be the last of the technical ones for now, as I want to break up one huge script into several small ones so that it doesn't take so long to load.
It's nothing of a game breaking issue, but I prefer to keep it smooth.

Anyways, thanks again and I hope you'll enjoy the adventure!

Gandalf

Arbiter
3 February 2024, update:

1. FIX: Decreased potential performance issue in the Warlord's Hideout by spliting the script into smaller ones.

2. NEW: Added couple of things, including new map with a puzzle.

mnlicHC.jpeg

The updated version should be available in 20 minutes.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Edit: This instruction is obsolete since 22 February 2024.

I will be completing the remaining segments of the current module's ending locations this month, so for those who have decided to play please follow the guideline:
LkoEWNw.png

I've also updated the game yesterday.

4 February 2024, update:

1. FIX: The player will now end up on the correct map if he or she decides to go to the city after giving the document to Gandalf.

2. CHANGE: Changed one word in the text to the new puzzle to avoid repetition.

Happy Adventuring!

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Finished off another group of bad guys, who brought along a slingman.

"You do not throw rocks at a dwarf who's carrying a halberd!"

obueHMv.jpg

Also found a much needed spot to rest after the battle. Nice.

Gandalf

Arbiter
22 February 2024, MAJOR update. This segment of the module is playable now from start to finish!

1. FIXED: Fixed a text repetition in one of the texts,

2. CHANGE: Added couple more of enemies to the Warlord's Hideout,

3. NEW: Completed both of the remaining unfinished maps.

Happy Adventuring!

4n8oEsK.jpeg

Gandalf

Arbiter
I have just received news that the first person has completed the module in full (and that person is not me btw.). That's super cool!

I'll be preparing an update this month, which will focus on minor changes, item and enemy descriptions (so that, for example, it will be clear that the prone effect that the Potion of Red Axium gives is intentional) and I'll also provide a way for the player to ressurect his/her dead party members in some way.

Gandalf

Arbiter
19 March 2024, MAJOR update. The biggest one, so far!
This time I have created a complete new map to introduce an item that allows the resurrection of dead party members.

Download link: https://gandalfsencounters.itch.io/gandalfsencounters

1. NEW: Added new map to the Warlord's Hideout.
2. NEW: Added new interactive NPC named Zyl.
3. NEW: Added new music and updated the soundtrack on bandcamp.
4. NEW: Added new weapons and items.
5. NEW: Added item and enemy descriptions.
6. NEW: Added couple of tooltips for better navigation.
7. New: Added additional dialogue lines when player declines Gandalf's proposition.
8. NEW: Added the ability to ressurect dead party members.
9. NEW: Added additional container with items at the end of the Warlord's Hideout.
10. FIX: Fixed a spelling error in one of the dialogues.
11. FIX: Corrected some display name errors.
12. FIX: Fixed the loop caused by Invisibility Cloak.
13. FIX: Fixed missing music on the Ruins 2 map.
14. FIX: Fixed the inn not taking money for the room renting.
15. CHANGE: Changed the properties of Invisibility Cloak to use per-battle.
16. CHANGE: Redesigned the backdoor in the City Town map.
17. CHANGE: Changed the race of Warlord's Guard from Anielica to Human.
18. CHANGE: Changed the description of Skeletons.
19. CHANGE: Changed the XP reward of all elementals from 21000 to 21.

New music track:

Happy Adventuring!

Gandalf

Arbiter
Hey guys,

it looks like there is no more things to fix in the module.

This means that the current version of Gandalf's Encounters is definitive.

My motivation is lost, so there probably won't be any future developement of new content.

That said, I would like to thank Dorateen and Pierre for participation in the playtest (please check out the fantastic Hearkenwold module made by Dorateen if you haven't already) and everyone else for their interest in Gandalf's Encounters.

Additionally, I would also like to thank Pierre for creating cool games and an editor for KotC2.

Thanks again!
-Gandalf

Dorateen

Arcane
Gandalf I am going through the last content you added to the module. Party is still third level. As the title suggests, the combat offers a good series of encounters that are challenging for low level characters. There are dungeons that are quite expansive, which makes for an interesting exploration.

I'd love to see others jump into the Knights of the Chalice 2 editor. It is a great tool even for crafting straight forward dungeon crawls. The combat engine is unmatched, and it is very appropriate for writing such scenarios.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom