Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GCM approves of HotU

Astromarine

Erudite
:shock: we do? :shock:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
VD, that is the point. You say morons are responsible for games like BG. You say you like BG (as an adventure game) so as long as morons like you ( :shock: ) buy and like Bio's games as adventure games or not; they'll continue to make games like that. You see, it's YOUR fault!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Unit-Qz52 said:
I only played Prelude until I died, which wasn't long, but I didn't notice anything that made it stand out as a fantastic RPG. And I was definately looking past the ugliness of the engine. I would be of the opinion that Prelude is a completely subpar game especially compared to BG. What is it that game has that BG doesn't have? Is the functionality in the first village and surrounding area constant through out the game?

Even in the first village, there's a quest to find out who the father of the barmaid's unborn child is that can be solved in a number of ways that can be done to various levels of completion with the award being based on how far you go through it. There's also two completely different story lines through the game. You can follow one or the other and still reach the conclusion. You can also do both.

The combat system beats the crap out of BG's combat system as well. There are multiple attack types for all melee weapons, and the more experienced you get with a weapon, the more attack types you get.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
VD, that is the point. You say morons are responsible for games like BG. You say you like BG (as an adventure game) so as long as morons like you ( :shock: ) buy and like Bio's games as adventure games or not; they'll continue to make games like that. You see, it's YOUR fault!
You are such an ass, Volourn, but that's why I like you so much. :) Anyway, here is how I see it: I bought the game, thought it was an rpg, turned out it wasn't, but it was a good adventure game overall. I criticized the rpg aspects of the game. So while I bought the game and thus supported the company, my feedback as a user was negative overall. Same thing with ToEE for example, I indicated what I didn't like about it many times. So overall, a company is aware of what the dominating majority of the fans think about the game. For example, I 'm sure that Troika noted what the majority of the ToEE fans didn't like about it, what people didn't dig about Arcanum, etc. So, Bio fans overall sent the message that BG2 and KOTOR are the bestest games evar except for some small tweaks here and there (like more romances and shit). See what I mean? For example whom do we have to blame for tons of guns, the car, and other crazy stuff in FO2? You and me? No. The majority of fans which at the time was determined by the number of vocal idiots at the iply boards. Feel free to disagree though.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Unit-Qz52 said:
Vault Dweller said:
Imo, the casual gamer is responsible because as long as everyone praises KOTOR from different angles: best story, tactical combat, awesome choices, etc, Bio wouldn't have a reason to make different games.
This doesn't make any sense. Why would Bio want to make different games? They have employees that need to be paid, and the games they make certainly allow them to do this. They have to make games that people will buy.
So, you are saying that people wouldn't have bought KOTOR if it featured more then 3 classes, more combat feats, more developed conversation skills, more interesting Dark Side path, not nerfed ranged weapons, etc?

I just tried to play Prelude...I couldn't or I won't. I can't say if the R part of the RPG is bad, but the PG part is horrific.
How horrible exactly? Did it damage your eyes? Or was it because nobody was holding your hand telling you what to do and where to go at any given time? Be as specific as you like

Would it be too far a stretch to think that you would love BG as an RPG if it combined the part you love about it, and the role playing that is in Prelude?
You mean, if it had Prelude's gameplay but BG's graphics? Yeah sure.

I only played Prelude until I died, which wasn't long, but I didn't notice anything that made it stand out as a fantastic RPG.
You said that it didn't take long, so how much time did you play exactly? I'd recommend playing any game for at least 30 minutes after char creation to get any idea. Well, maybe role-playing isn't for you (I'm not trying to insult you or anything), it's just because there are a lot of pseudo rpgs for some weird reason (Diablo, DS, MW, BG, etc), so some people like the action or adventure aspects of these games, and become disappointed when they play an actual rpg.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeha; but VD; you continue to BIO games knowing full well that the way they makes their games - crpg or not - aren't gonna chnage though so you are still supoporting their design decisions. Be vocal all you wnat; money talks. Plus, it's not like BIo doesn't listen to fans complaints - afterall; it's no small coincidence that HOTU has multipele dninsg for different things.. people asked, and they recieved. Maybe, if you posted your thoughts in a civil manner on the BIO boards; they'd actually take yous eriously. (of cours,e you may have already with an alternate name; but I wouldn't know :D ). Bottom line, if you repeatedly buy games from a company you say you hate; you get what you deserve and you are equally responsibe as their "morons" you like that stuff..

Unit-Qz52

Novice
Im sure people would have bought KOTOR with more of all those elements you listed. Who wouldn't want more? But just because it has more of all these doesn't at some point suddenly turn it into an RPG.

I believe you are correct in your assessment of me not being a 'role-player' in the way you describe. I would have to force myself to play Prelude just to experience the role playing options which is not the way to play a game. Again, just me and that doesn't make me better. I suppose its the twitch gamer talking here.

The horrific part of Prelude was just mainly the graphics and understanding the graphics that were there, including the UI. I may give it another shot tonight for a longer spell and see what becomes of it. My point on this though was that it may very well have some excellent role playing but getting past the graphics and functionality is an endurance trial. I am sure I was just expecting too much even after you gave a bit of warning.

I was just really interested to see why you prefer a game like Prelude over BG, they both appear to have similar elements, both are different in some aspects, but they have similar elements. Combat was definately more complex in Prelude, but that doesn't = more fun. Just different. Being a fan of pause and play over straight up turn base is just a preference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom