Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Geneforge 2 - Infestation remake from Spiderweb Software

FFTW

Educated
Just 3k away from the new major quest goal.

What a pity.
Indeed. It is really disappointing to the players. I am sure the devs aren't too annoyed though, as they got pretty close to 80K yet they don't have to make a new quest as compensation.
I am kinda surprised it didn't get more though considering that it was at 50K after only 2 days.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just 3k away from the new major quest goal.

What a pity.
Indeed. It is really disappointing to the players. I am sure the devs aren't too annoyed though, as they got pretty close to 80K yet they don't have to make a new quest as compensation.
I am kinda surprised it didn't get more though considering that it was at 50K after only 2 days.

Ah this is where my extensive experience in e-begging gets to shine!

Kickstarters generally fall off after meeting the campaign goal, the whole point of stretch goals is to keep funding going.

With Vogel, since he is established and his fanbase knows of a kickstarter well in advance, the campaign will be front-heavy because most of his fans will pledge early on. Meanwhile, a lack of advertising/marketing means that the campaign won't get a significant boost until the end, when Kickstarters end-of-campaign visibility will get him a few late backers/ wait-and-see-ers.

Also this perhaps signals a lack of interest in his stretch goals. I have no idea, I didn't see what they were.

Still, 76k is no slouch and this says that Jeff still has his fans, and they're still willing to back him. Geneforge 2 being one of his more popular games helps.

Mauman

Learned
Also this perhaps signals a lack of interest in his stretch goals. I have no idea, I didn't see what they were.
A new creation and a new storyline made it, but we fell just short of a new "mystery storyline" like one of those off the beaten paths kinda secret but with huge lore potential stories.

Probably something along the lines of how in the original Geneforge you could
discover that the Shapers (and technically Serviles, or the people whom the Serviles are based on to be precise) originally came from the abandoned island
a long long time ago.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/geneforge-2-infestation/posts/3756337

Geneforge 2 - Infestation Kickstarter, We Did It!​

951d44176bb6b1571544cd8ae171072b_original.jpg

The Kickstarter is done, and it was a huge success! It funded far above the minimum level. It reached two stretch goals and almost reached a third. Thank you all so much for your support. It means a great deal to us, and we’re all fired up and ready to write this game!

This is a good time to make sure updates from Kickstarter don’t end up in your spam filter. We’ll be sending out regular messages, some of which will ask for your feedback and ideas. Watch out for them, especially if you backed at a high level where you’re adding content to the game.

Now that we’re transitioning from the planning and begging phase to the full-on creating phase, it’s time to get to work. There’s a lot to think about and a lot to do. So let’s get to it …

Stretch Goals

We reached two stretch goals. We will be adding a whole new storyline with several new zones. We are also adding a new creation based on your feedback.

We will start asking for your creation ideas in a month or so. This experiment in Geneforge 1 - Mutagen resulted in the Cockatrice, a powerful and mercurial beastie with unique abilities. (And it will be reappearing in Geneforge 2 - Infestation.) The cockatrice was a reward for a high level mission, but these new creations don’t need to be. They can be creations you get early on. Start thinking up your wild ideas now.

We got close to the third stretch goal. Close enough, we say! We will be putting a hidden quest line in the game, a tricky mission with powerful rewards that will only be found by the persistent. It’s the least we can do after you were all so generous in your support.

So, again, watch for these messages! We have a lot to do.

High Level Backers

We are creating a design guide for Geneforge 2 - Infestation, with information about the game system, the setting, and the factions. If you backed at a high level and are contributing content, it is very important to watch for and read these messages. We will be sending you a link to the design guide in about a month, and we want to get as many submissions as possible by the beginning of August.

We can’t wait to see your wild ideas!

And We’re Off …

As for us, we’re going to tear into the game engine. We’re adding several long-requested features. Then comes primary world design. This will take a number of months, as we’ll be going through every single thing in the game. You’ll be hearing all about it.

Time to get to work. Thank you again! This is gonna be a cool game, and we're good to go. Expect another update soon.

- Jeff Vogel

8cbef5699a469af770cdb2233dc748ed_original.jpg

A look at the editor we use to build the levels. Everything looks kind of weird and incomprehensible, but I've been using this system for a long time and it makes sense to me. I'm going to be spending a LOT of time here over the next year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/geneforge-2-infestation/posts/3778558

Geneforge 2 - Infestation Kickstarter, April Update #1​

222c22da37811be0b4a7f1877ff538a0_original.png

Greetings from Spiderweb Software! The Kickstarter is done. The dust has settled. And, at last, we are settling in to writing Geneforge 2 - Infestation!

We’ll be sending out updates about Geneforge 2 every other month or so. There is so much to do. So many sections to remake. Tons of quests and sections to add. As we grind through remaking the story, we’ll let you know where we’re at and what we’re working on.

Also, we're ready for your suggestions and ideas for designing the game. Interested? Read on!

The Details of Remastering

We wrote Geneforge 2 over 20 years ago. I’d been making games for a living less than ten years. I’d come a long, long way from where I started, but, by current standards, the work is really rough. The remaster is a chance to remake it with the benefit of many more years of experience.

For example, one of the major characters in the game is named Shaper Zakary. You meet him at the beginning of the game. He’s the head of a faction and plays a major part in the storyline. By the standards of 2002, I wrote a lot of dialogue for him.

Yet, looking at it now, he is a very threadbare character. His actions set the story in motion, but you know very little about what he actually did or why he did it. As head of a faction, he sends you on a lot of quests, but he said very little about where he was sending you, why he was doing it, or what you were supposed to do when you got there.

No longer. I completely reworked his dialogue. There’s a lot more of it now, and it’s good stuff. It really fleshes out his character and the world of his Shapers. When I add stuff, I’m careful not to add too much. People only want to spend so much time reading. However, there is almost always room to add a little bit of good stuff.

Multiply that by every character and every section, and you have the work of a full remaster.

The New Creation

It is now time to start working on the New Creation stretch goal. We are adding a new player-made creation to Geneforge 2, to accompany the cockatrice from Geneforge 1. But what will it be? Don’t know yet! That’s for you to help us figure out.

The cockatrice was a special, powerful creation that came into its own at the end of the game. This new creation doesn’t have to be that. Maybe you find the new one in the mid-game, or the beginning. That remains to be figured out.

So here is the first step: We need to figure out what the creation will be. I am now asking all backers for suggestions. What will it be? Animal or vegetable? Something simpler or something more mythological? I will pick one backer’s suggestion.

So send your description of what the creation will look and act like (along with any other ideas you have) to geneforgegame@gmail.com. You have until May 15, 2023. I’ll go through all your suggestions and pick one that will fit in well with the new world and story. I can’t wait to see your ideas! Then we’ll move on to the next step.

High-End Backer Design Ideas

If you backed Geneforge 2 at a high level where you get to add something to the game, thank you! We have sent out the instructions for how to add your contributions. The deadline for good placement is August 1, 2023, so it’s definitely time to start thinking.

If you never got a message, be sure to check your spam folder.

Back To Work

Lots of sections to make. Lots of overdue polish to apply. We’re getting back to work now. Thanks again, and we’ll have more to say soon!

- Jeff Vogel

77606863ec74b03c4d738f4e9bf70cc8_original.jpg

We're working on a bunch of screenshots for future update, but we need to write more game first. In the meantime, here is the large art for two of the new creations in Geneforge 2: The rotghroth and the eyebeast. These are extremely high-end creations. Making them requires a lot of training and power, but, in return, they make a big difference on the battlefield.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/geneforge-2-infestation/posts/3812911

Geneforge 2 - Infestation Kickstarter, May Update #2​

14f3ca4faf07817feb922922f9d2188f_original.jpg

Time for another Kickstarter update! Development of Geneforge 2 - Infestation is moving along at a good pace. We have remastered a little over a quarter of the original game. As this process happens, we’ll be adding new quests, zones, and other content. No unexpected problems have appeared, we’re having fun, and an early 2024 release still looks very likely.

We’re trying to add a lot of polish. We’ve added lots of new spell effects and will add a bunch more sounds. We’ve also redone things we’ve neglected for a long time. For example, we redid a lot of item graphics to make them more visible in the game world. It looks much better, and less eyestrain is a good thing.

And that is the development update. What about everything else going on?

The New Creation, Part Two

We got a ton of new creation ideas! There was so much variety, creativity, and ideas for lore. As always, we were very impressed. Spiderweb has a lot of ingenious fans. Everything was read and thought about, and there was a lot of inspiration for lore and quests in the future remasters. As for now, we have selected a basic body type for the new creation!

Lots of people suggested feline creations. This is a great idea and a long-overdue addition. However, we won’t be putting these in yet. Something like this is VERY likely for a future Geneforge remaster.

As for the winner. We got many requests for two things. Many people wanted a creation that was a plant or fungus. Others wanted a more defensive turret/zone-control type sort of creation. Those two, together, seemed like a very good addition to the game. It would fill some holes in player options and add a bunch of tactical variety.

So the new creation will be a plant turret. When you first shape it, it can move, but it will be delicate and weak in battle. Then, at some point, you can “plant” it. It will become a stationary turret that does something to nearby foes.

Which brings us to the second part of the process. You know the basic outline of what the creation will be. But. What does it do? What can it do when it’s still mobile? And what does it do when you plant it? These are special abilities that can be unlocked by improving the creation. Also, there is the lore. Can it think? Who invented it? Why was it lost? These questions can shape the new zones and quest lines I have yet to write.

So we are asking for ideas once again. Send any ideas that might make the plant turret more interesting or powerful. Name. Abilities. Lore. Send your thoughts to geneforgegame@gmail.com. You have until June 20, 2023. I’ll go through all your suggestions and make this new creation. It will be very new for the Geneforge engine and require a bit more programming, but it sounds fun and interesting, and I’m excited to put it in!

High-End Backer Design Ideas, Second Reminder

If you backed Geneforge 2 at a high level where you get to add something to the game, thank you! We have sent out the instructions for how to add your contributions. We’ve also sent out reminders. We’ve heard from a lot of you, but we want to make sure everyone gets their ideas in. The deadline for good placement is August 1, 2023, so it’s definitely time to start thinking.

If you never got a message, be sure to check your spam folder.

Back To Work

And that’s it for this update. You’ll hear from us again with the final results for the creation. I also plan to write a more detailed discussion of exactly what goes into remastering a zone. Until then, enjoy some new screenshots!

- Jeff Vogel

4ced5b61f678b9636787141fb2a360e4_original.jpg
Visiting Medab, the second of the major cities. First, we remaster each section. Then we go back and wire in the new quest lines and other content.
f86bb9343e6be6bd22b1b2485e1ed960_original.jpg
Just outside the Magus Complex, where dangerous research is taking place. This is one of the few minefields that won't kill you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/geneforge-2-infestation/posts/3865295

Geneforge 2 - Infestation Kickstarter, July Update #3​

4fc4b7afbab2b01d18c9abbe2a475a1b_original.jpg

Greetings, Kickstarter backers! It’s a beautiful sunny day here in Seattle. A great opportunity to sit inside the house and write indie games. We felt it was time to let everyone know how things are going and provide a few timely reminders.

The world of Geneforge 2 is over half done. Tons of old sections have been redone and feel a lot more fun. We have started adding lots of new material, both for stretch goals and from our backers. Our freelancers have made a lot of great art (some are below). We are starting to plan our Steam page and marketing. An early 2024 release still looks very likely.

That’s the heart of it. If you’ve been worrying, don’t!

Now for a few more specific bits of news.

Deadline For Backer Contributions

Remember, if you supported us at a tier that lets you contribute something to the game, the deadline is August 1. After that, we’ll still take your contributions, but we’ll have a lot harder time finding places to fit them in.

If you haven’t gotten a design guide or if you sent us a submission and never heard back, contact us ASAP at geneforgegame@gmail.com.

The Stalkthorn Is Being Made

Geneforge 2’s new creation will be the Stalkthorn. Art for it is being done, and its abilities are being designed. We got a lot of great ability suggestions, and we’ll definitely be using some of them. I also placed in the game where players learn it!

Thanks again for your help. This was a ton of fun, and we really loved all the ideas!

The Remastering Process

Most of our work right now is remastering sections. I’ve been doing about three a week. What does that mean?

Each of the 80+ sections in the original Geneforge 2 is being entirely reworked. We’re going over everything, as promised. But what is the process?

For each section, our editor has an import feature. I start my day by importing the old Geneforge 2 section, which is automatically translated into the new engine. The result is rough and entirely unplayable.

The next step is redrawing the terrain. This takes several hours and is the most time-consuming step. The new game engine has many, many more sorts of terrain and objects to place. I redraw the old terrain to make it more detailed. I want to give each location its own sense of place. Sections in one province should have their own distinct look. Items in each shop should reflect their owner’s job. And so on.

Then I edit and expand all dialogue and special encounters. I am a much better writer than I was 20 years ago. I do a line by line copyedit, making the text tighter and, at the same time, more descriptive of the setting and events. I also expand a lot of the conversations, making the characters and setting more fleshed out. For quests, I add a lot of information, as quest givers back in the day did not say enough about what you needed to do.

Then I rework all monsters and traps. I rearrange the mines to make the paths through clearer and, at the same time, more interesting. I shift around the monster groups to make for more entertaining fights. For example, I may take three lone monsters and post them closer together, and fighting one group of three is faster and more fun than fighting three groups of one.

Finally, we proofread and test everything, to reduce the flaws play testers have to find.

It’s a painstaking process, and my brain tends to get pretty fried after months of doing it. However, the result is a much stronger game, and it’s pretty satisfying.

Back To Work

Our next update will come in a month or two, and it’ll have some of the first official screenshots. Back to moving around fyoras and placing more spoons. Have a great summer!

- Jeff Vogel

e7bde452a07a7e44ad1d1e21e8f43313_original.jpg
The first public look at the Geneforge 2 world map. Artist Ben Resnick did a terrific job on it, as always!

Joseph King

Literate
I'm curious about the turret mechanics. I wonder after you plant it down, is it stationary forever, or can it be uprooted afterwards?

Terra

Cipher
Most interesting thing Jeff's posted in a while, I always wondered what his exact process was recreating the old areas, did he just do a straight copy/paste of dialogue etc. And now I know.

Terra

Cipher
Seem's Jeff has made a new trailer for the Geneforge 2 remake. Store page is up on steam if it wasn't there earlier.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/geneforge-2-infestation/posts/3903767

Geneforge 2 - Infestation Kickstarter, September Update #4​

4fc4b7afbab2b01d18c9abbe2a475a1b_original.jpg

Greetings, Kickstarter backers! It’s time for another update! Geneforge 2 - Infestation is still being written, and solid progress is being made.

The game world is 3/4 done. We’ve begun an intense period of in-house testing and finishing all those annoying fiddly bits we’ve put off finishing. Then we’ll hand the game over to a small, elite crew of Macintosh testers to begin banging the game into shape for real. Our freelance artists have made a bunch of great art, and everything is on schedule.

Most of the backer-designed elements are in the game. This took quite a while, but we’re very happy with the results. The world of the Shapers is starting to feel a lot more developed. There’s more in there about their history, their lore, and their ways. The whole game setting, little by little, is starting to come into focus in a way I find very satisfying. Thanks to everyone for your great ideas! They’re making a better game.

Over the next few weeks, we’re going to make the announcement trailer and the Steam page. Then the long process of begging for wishlists can begin.

In the Fall, we will be sending out surveys so that we can send out physical rewards. Keep your eyes on your inbox for those. We’ll also be asking people who will be in the credits how they want to be listed.

And that’s what has been happening! All smooth sailing so far. We’ve attached some new art below, and you’ll hear more from us soon.

- Jeff Vogel

a2a225210d38c88bf40ecd51b29fa123_original.jpg
A Guardian using Chain Lightning, one of the new Battle Shaping abilities. Melee and missile-based characters will have a lot of new options in Geneforge 2.
e2c84b5634fbfb30a8f6b89a9b2c52d0_original.png
Dedicated artist Ben Resnick is back for Geneforge 2, putting together some really nice artwork.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://bottomfeeder.substack.com/p/new-game-announced-geneforge-2-infestation

New Game Announced! Geneforge 2 - Infestation Coming Soon!​

The March of the Aging Elephants will lumber on indefinitely.​

Celebrating thirty years of doing whatever it is we do!
We have officially announced our next game, Geneforge 2 - Infestation! This is a giant remaster of one of our most popular games, with everything redone and tons of new material. You can learn about it here, see a trailer here, and wishlist it on Steam here.

That was blatant self-promotion. There'll be more of it in March, when we release the game for Windows & Mac. Thanks for your patience.

The Aging, Remastering Indie Dev

We will be releasing Geneforge 2 - Infestation to celebrate our 30th year writing indie games for a living. That's a long time to be an indie dev, and unexplored territory in this industry.

People used to know about us. These days, we are a tiny, tiny fish in the indie gaming pool. Indie gaming is big now. Enormous. So big that even multi-billion dollar corporations are writing indie games now. We're so cool!

But, insignificant as I am, I do still have the trail-blazer status to hang onto.

I’ve done a lot of writing and given some solid talks over the years dedicated to answering this question: How can a lone creator or small team have a career in indie games? A sustainable, lifelong career?

Of course, it's almost impossible to make any money in games. It's art, after all. That's how becoming an artist works. You think it's any easier becoming a career musician?

But suppose you do catch lightning in a bottle and start bringing in some money? What is the best way to sustain it?

Well, speaking as a comically old guy, I do remasters. And soon so will everyone else.

Enjoy almost a hundred regions to explore, each packed with varied encounters, odd characters, and secrets to find. We’re low-budget, but we’re really good at loading games up with neat stuff.
Hey, It's Still Fun

My retirement age is in sight. If I can keep selling games for 12 more years or so, I will have had a full career in indie games. Then I win indie games!

How will I do this? I have a list of games that have really strong designs but were written in archaic times. Games that were written before we knew how to use the graphics card. Back when trying to harness graphics cards was a confusing, crash-laden technical nightmare. Games that just don't work well anymore.

We will still be making new stuff. Don't worry about that. But it would be a shameful waste if we didn't send our good older titles into the future in a working, improved form. (Plus, I've written 18 full-length, all-new games. Isn't that already a LOT?)

A Brief But Important Aside

The gifts of the Muse are fickle. A huge number of artists only create at a peak level for a relatively small portion of their lives. If you are one of the few that makes A-list material for many decades, that's awesome. However, you must prepare for the fact that sometimes inspiration runs out.

Create and customize your personal army of mutant monsters. Just be sure to keep control of them. They can get touchy.
You'll Be Seeing This a Lot

If you wrote a successful indie game, even just one, you made a little machine that prints money. If it's a fun game, it'll always be fun. On the other hand, writing new games is always a huge risk. Eventually, that risk won't pay off.

Like always, I have to turn to my personal inspiration, Billy Joel. He hasn't put out a good new album for over 30 years. He just tours. He looked at his body of work, was content, and has spent the rest of his time bringing it to the people. What a legend.

So, in years to come, I think you're going to see lots of successful indie developers release and re-release and re-re-release their old hits.

Which Is, Of Course, Already Happening

Writing one hit is almost impossible. Writing two is even harder. We already have plenty of good examples of developers stretching their work.

The hugely successful expansion of the 10 year old Stanley Parable is a great example. Braid has a planned and much-deserved revision coming. Terraria, Stardew Valley, and Factorio are still being expanded, turning them into their own gaming platforms.

The list of indie hits that can probably be re-unleashed onto a new audience in ten years with profitable results is LONG.

On the other hand, some indie classics don't have the potential to be brought back to life. Which ones? I don't know. (I'm really dubious about Thomas Was Alone and Gone Home.) It'll sure be interesting to find out!

No good or bad guys. Just a bunch of factions. Join one or none. Scorch the entire world, or use trickery and diplomacy to win the game without ever attacking a foe.
The Big Question

How much of a catalog does it take to have a full career? How much work do you need to put out there to have enough to do to fill your time? Honestly, I have too much remastering to do in addition to making new material.

But I like to be kept busy. I'd rather be Billy Joel than Hemingway.

So time to finish our new (newish?) game. For morale, I have a ticket to one of my favorite rock stars, who coincidentally is having her 30 year celebration tour.

I'm pleased to announce that The March of the Aging Elephants will lumber on indefinitely.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/geneforge-2-infestation/posts/3941304

Geneforge 2 - Infestation Kickstarter, October Update #5​

5c3f32b1288eb60baef116f8d539378f_original.jpg

Greetings, kind backers! We have some exciting news for this update. We’ve reached a major milestone … We’ve officially announced the game!

We’ve released a bunch of information, screenshots, and a trailer. You can see them on our web site and on Steam. Take a look! We’re still aiming for a release in March, 2024.

If you would like to give us a little extra help, feel free to go to our Steam page and wishlist the game. Steam uses wishlists to determine which games get exposure in the “Popular Upcoming” page, which helps a LOT. This is a great way to support indie developers you’re fond of.

We’re also doing beta testing with our small, elite core of Macintosh beta testers. This has slowed development a bit, but, in return, every day a bit more of Geneforge 2 becomes suitable for actual release. We’re putting in a lot of hours, and the results are very satisfying. Once the Windows port is done (hopefully in December), we can begin much wider testing.

We will be polling everyone to get their information for delivering your rewards very soon. Keep an eye on your email!

A short update this time, but with a ton of information. Development is exactly where it should be, and things are going well. Take a look at the trailer, and you’re hear more from us soon!

- Jeff Vogel

ba4e9a51018f98e1b7b7e4e0d01897c2_original.jpg
A new screenshot. Some regions of Geneforge can be passed by fighting. Others require maneuvering around traps and other trickery. Here, an Agent has gotten her pet vlish too close to something nasty.

Viata

Arcane
It hurts to see he can only output remakes and shit new games now. Can't hate him though, Geneforge 1 was a great game and had the best class in any CRPG I have played.

quaesta

Educated
It hurts to see he can only output remakes and shit new games now. Can't hate him though, Geneforge 1 was a great game and had the best class in any CRPG I have played.
I'm out of the loop, did he ever said why he's only remaking games now?

arepo

Novice
I'm out of the loop, did he ever said why he's only remaking games now?

He doesn't. In fact he has been releasing remakes of his older games intermingled with completely new games ever since 2000. The problem is that many people, at least on this board, dislike his newer "original" games (the Avadon and Queen's Wish series). Personally, I haven't tried any of these games so far, so I can't opine about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom