Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Some impressions:

Pros:
  1. This game has the best presentation of this generation of console games, its magnificent, and im not talking only about the obvious talking points like graphics and colors, but things like how quests are introduced, with the bold lettering, framed scenery and sound;
  2. Visual aesthetic is absolutely gorgeous, the use of colors, effects, its like the game was a moving painting;
  3. Very interesting way to go about Quest/mission design, proper missions are focused on characters and story arcs;
  4. Combat is fun, not too easy or too hard, just enough tension to make you pay attention before each encounter;
  5. Sound, amazing use of sound to drive up tension, to introduce characters and quests as well as to set off epic fights.
Cons:

1. Camp clearing, fuck this Ubisoft shit;
  2. Movement, too floaty, too fast;
  3. Main character, fuck this stoic warrior poet shit... i want to see some emotion from this robot;
  4. Enemy variety, few and far between;
  5. Enemy characterization, would have enjoyed to see better characterization of mongol auxiliaries from other nations instead of it all being treated as big bad mongol horde.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Can you play as the Mongols though?

imposibru.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My honest impression is that this LOD drop in the distance is quite a letdown. I will wait for the PC version, if it ever gets made.

Pop-in and close LOD drop is one of my biggest graphics pet-peeves. It's so irritating when a PC version doesn't let you extend it. Recently replayed Dragon Age Inquisition and little details like flower petals pop-in right in front of you, even on ultra settings. :argh:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My honest impression is that this LOD drop in the distance is quite a letdown. I will wait for the PC version, if it ever gets made.

Pop-in and close LOD drop is one of my biggest graphics pet-peeves. It's so irritating when a PC version doesn't let you extend it. Recently replayed Dragon Age Inquisition and little details like flower petals pop-in right in front of you, even on ultra settings. :argh:
I'm quite taken by surprise by how this wasn't evident at all in the earlier gemplay videos. Did they capture the videos on development machines with higher LOD distance settings and then downgrade for the final release?

SkinnJakka

Novice
I recall them marketing the Japanese dub a lot, and yet, everything isn't subtitled.
It's extremely annoying when Jin says something when exploring and I have no idea what, and when you hear town chatter you also have no clue what they're saying.
Even if it's just shit like "My katana is humming, mongol camp nearby, gotta be", I still want it subtitled.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Haven't tried the black and white mode, there isn't much incentive to do so considering how integral color is for the world building.

DeepOcean

Arcane
American SJW:"They are doing cultural appropriation, this is so bad, how white people can make a game about Japan? This is ridiculous."

Japan: "It is a cool game, we liked it."

American SJW: " How dare you? I know what is best for you even if I never set a foot in Japan! REEEEEEEE"

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm enjoying this so far - combat is good and falls in the right area of being challenging without being too frustrating. Dizzying array of character advancement options.

Clearing camps is retarded but overall I've found the quest design generally quite interesting and less repetitive than in AC.

Isak

Educated
It’s weird to see people outside of a said culture being super protective about it. Like in this case other people caring about authenticity more than Japanese people do. It’s soooo weird to me to be honest. Now that Japanese media is praising the game I bet those who dissed it feel pretty stupid now.
It happened with Ghost in the Shell when Scarlett Johansson was cast to play Major Kusanagi. Westerners screamed about whitewashing while almost all Japanese did not give a single shit about it.
It’s pure misinformed virtue signaling that assumes things are off within the game. I’m more confident that the Japanese reviewers at Famitsu know their own culture better than some fucking white Australian in Sydney reviewing for Kotaku.

Anyways, for future Sushi players, the combat is complex in mash/selection/timing in the early stages, but be patient and you'll find it doesn't lag once you've learned the mechanics of the system. It uses a new better button layout, that gives you quicker access to attack combinations; with smart blocking and avoidance.
The one recommendation I can give to future players is bump up the difficulty as soon as you feel you can. Normal is a bit easy, and hard feels just about right once you unlock the ability to block arrows with your sword. I wish there was another level of difficulty, because once you get those Perfect Parry timings down, enemies often go down in one hit. And then there is that one charm which makes Perfect Parry etc. easier. Halfway through your playstyle, you will keep owning people, except for the bosses, those need a bit more timing and strategy.

The moment-to-moment gameplay is fun and superbly entertaining, but still a bit derivative at times -- the entire genre as a whole does need some novel ideas/concepts. I’m a bit bored by “clear the enemy outposts” gameplay these days but I appreciate how much of the game’s emphasis is on just vibing. It looks and sounds gorgeous, and the exploration feels a lot like BOTW. The game doesn't do anything new or surprising if you've played any of Sony's recent first-party offerings, but it does it all in a way that's quite polished and sharp as a bushido's blade, and that is fundamentally enjoyable, if a little derivative and generic at some points.

Concept vs. execution comes to mind on this. A well-done, even over-done thing can be good if it’s execution is very good. If the game just feels fun, regardless of non-inventiveness, it will do well.
I like all of the Marvel movies a lot, knowing well that most of them have very, very formulaic summer-blockbuster structure. But they also have tight, solid execution. They’re summer popcorn flicks done well.
Videogames-wise, I think of Spider-Man. It has all of the same trappings and doesn’t reinvent the wheel anywhere, but I played the whole game, something I hardly ever do these days, especially with open world games. It would have overstayed its welcome had I collected every collectible and done all the DLC, but I chose not to, knowing myself. The collectibles and side-quests I did do were fun enough, and the core components of the game just felt fun.

The combination of novel concept/mechanic and solid execution is honestly rare, especially among AAA games that are, regardless of our opinions on this, also partially treated as investment commodities rather than purely seen as media/art.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dunno, no matter how many clips and videos I watch the combat does look kindda lulzy.

Fextralife recently made a video "Is Ghost of Tsushima better than Sekiro". They actually meant it as a serious question. I just
rating_prosper.png
-ed.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The combat looks like Ass Creed for me, Sekiro required Gitting Gud, this seems marginally better than Ass Creed.

Cromwell

Arcane
Problem I have with the combat is the camera. Theres no lock on so it happened more than a few times that the little lord decided he wanted to attack the fat guy in the armor instead of the almost dead guy with the broken sword we have right before us. I wish there was at least some button to get the camera back behind me so as not to have to adjust it manually all the time.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game is a real hit it seems

Frankly I don't really care much about it, I don't have a PS4. But anything that steals the spotlight from TLoU2 and makes its retarded fanbase butthurt is good in my book (I know GoT has sold fewer copies tho, but it has a good chance of selling more than Angry Lesbian 2)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom