Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Art some in graphics, or gameplay too? Because the gameplay falls apart fast.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Other than graphics what does GoT offer in the current year? Is there anything here that stands out among the open world spam we've seen over the last decade?

ADL

Prophet
Hey everyone, Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut is coming to PC on May 16! Today we're giving you all the details on cross-play support in Legends mode and the inclusion of a new PlayStation overlay, with support for PlayStation Trophies and more.

As we've announced previously, Ghost on Tsushima Director's Cut on PC contains the full game, the Iki Island expansion, and the cooperative online multiplayer Legends mode. Thanks to cross-play support, Legends players on Windows PCs can team up with players on both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles and use in-game voice chat to communicate. You will be required to sign into your PlayStation Network account to access Legends mode.
Crossplay confirmed.

Ash

Arcane
The combat is pretty good...by modern AAA standards, and only if you gimp yourself by not getting shit retard upgrades like "instakill chain 10 dudes in row" and wear the weakest armor throughout the entire game like I did.

It's one of the better AAA games in recent years but that is saying very little at all. I would recommend skipping it in favor of other games. There are lots of good ninja/samurai games, we even have an old thread for that subject. However, if this shit is coming to PC then potentially mods can make it more respectable :obviously:

Softgels

Scholar
Besides the graphics, the music is also quite good, I watched the ending credits just to listen to the music

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I found that it felt like a typical Ubisoft-like game in many regards. The setting carries it hard and is the only reason why I persevered. I never finished it on console, but I'll buy it on PC when it's around 30€ or less, just to be able to play it at over 60fps.

The survival co-op mode was also surprisingly fun.

There are lots of good ninja/samurai games, we even have an old thread for that subject.

Name some. The only ones that come to mind is Sekiro/Nioh type shit, which is a very specific type of game and is more about pushing through bosses and other artificial shit like that, rather than losing yourself in an immersive medieval Japan world.

Ash

Arcane
My favorites:

Shadow Warrior (PC - 1997)
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PS1 - 1998)
Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins (PS1 - 2000)
Tenchu 3: Wrath of Heaven (PS2 - 2001)
Ninja Gaiden (XBOX - 2004)
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (PS2 - 2006)
Sekiro (Multiplatform - 2019)

All are about gameplay and "artificial shit like that". But if immersion, atmosphere, exploration and absorption of Japanese culture and themes is what you're after, then the three listed Tenchu games handle that quite nicely. You are too popamole/casual/misguided for all these games though. Ghost of Tsushima is perfect for you specifically. Ubisoft style, AAA dumbed down, shallow game design and a misplaced realism emphasis...by that I mean it doesn't do realism quite right, such as the lack of gore, as well as the copy-paste ubisoft design interfering, like constantly harassing the player with stupid foxes and gusts of wind because it is assumed he has no brain. And the gay pseudo-"realistic" storytelling too.

You keep using the term "gameplay" like it means anything on its own. Tetris has gameplay in spades, arguably more elegant gameplay than whatever shit games you seem to like. But you gotta admit a person would have to be pretty retarded to play a game for hours where you are rotating bricks.

And for that reason, gameplay without context means nothing. These games you mention, they actually have very simplistic context, you do some stupid shit and get better at it. So this shit has some depth, means nothing to me.

The real potential of video games, as I keep telling you plebs, is creating realistic alternate worlds a person can get lost in. And that's why a game like Witcher 3 shits all over all these boss-fests you knuckle-draggers wallow in, jumping through developer hoops to do stupid, inane shit. Even if W3 doesn't have the best gameplay. It's much more interesting for anyone with triple digit IQ to engage in average gameplay in an interesting, realistic seeming world with deep themes than to fuck around with nth degree depth in some pointless arcade game level shithole. And if you don't understand that, get a lobotomy.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
These games you mention, they actually have very simplistic context

You haven't played them, dumbass. I already explained Tenchu has a lot of interesting context and immersive design to enjoy. Onimusha has it's own interesting rules and world. With fictional, fantastical content rather than real world basis, which is far more interesting to me. I enjoy art, video games, fiction on the whole to escape reality. Ninja Gaiden sure it's somewhat arcade-like but again, has it's own world, rules and context. It doesn't have to be ultra-realistic to be interesting or immersive, thinking to the contrary well THAT is evidence of single digit IQ.

As for realistic alt worlds, I don't think you even have any clue even in that regard given you cite retard shit like Twitcher instead of, say, Arx Fatalis, Fallout or Manhunt, as three of MANY realismfag games I could cite with a ton of substance.

Do you know what's really sad? Realism without context or substance, just for realism's sake, as in the case of the retard games you like.

I also have no idea how Zelda: Breath of the Wild qualifies as one of your super realistic alt worlds while every other game such as the ones I cite above are disqualified, even though you haven't played them. That's fucking wild mental gymnastics porky pig fucker.

Last edited:
Lol, it's like talking to a butthurt wall. Turn your brain on for a sec, bre.

When I say realism, I don't mean it has to be like the real world exactly, I mean it has to exhibit the same depth and richness. So for example, a well written fantasy or sci fi work can be completely different from the real world in its details and realities, but it still has to have similar level of depth and aspects of the human condition to matter: people still have to have deep emotions, and fall in love, and plot revenge, and have a sense of wonder, and be able to engage in different aspects of life, and so on.

Witcher world is like that. Breath of the Wild world is like that. Fallout world is like that.

Sekiro, Nioh, Ninja Gaiden worlds aren't anything like that. They are one dimensional simplifications of the world into some boring mechanic (fighting bosses or whatever), and I couldn't give a flying fuck how deep into that mechanic they dive. They are simplistic and dull, in the same way as Tetris after a while.

Cologno

Educated
These games you mention, they actually have very simplistic context

You haven't played them, dumbass. I already explained Tenchu has a lot of interesting context and immersive design to enjoy. Onimusha has it's own interesting rules and world. With fictional, fantastical content rather than real world basis, which is far more interesting to me. I enjoy art, video games, fiction on the whole to escape reality. Ninja Gaiden sure it's somewhat arcade-like but again, has it's own world, rules and context. It doesn't have to be ultra-realistic to be interesting or immersive, thinking to the contrary well THAT is evidence of single digit IQ.

As for realistic alt worlds, I don't think you even have any clue even in that regard given you cite retard shit like Twitcher instead of, say, Arx Fatalis, Fallout or Manhunt, as three of MANY realismfag games I could cite with a ton of substance.

Do you know what's really sad? Realism without context or substance, just for realism's sake, as in the case of the retard games you like.

I also have no idea how Zelda: Breath of the Wild qualifies as one of your super realistic alt worlds while every other game such as the ones I cite above are disqualified, even though you haven't played them. That's fucking wild mental gymnastics porky pig fucker.
And Tsushima's still s great game. Get over it.

Ash

Arcane
It's a 7/10. Good for what it is. Get over it and get some standards. There is no way in any truly seasoned gamer's world it is greatness. Far too many far superior games to compare it to.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lol, it's like talking to a butthurt wall. Turn your brain on for a sec, bre.

When I say realism, I don't mean it has to be like the real world exactly, I mean it has to exhibit the same depth and richness. So for example, a well written fantasy or sci fi work can be completely different from the real world in its details and realities, but it still has to have similar level of depth and aspects of the human condition to matter: people still have to have deep emotions, and fall in love, and plot revenge, and have a sense of wonder, and be able to engage in different aspects of life, and so on.

Witcher world is like that. Breath of the Wild world is like that. Fallout world is like that.

Sekiro, Nioh, Ninja Gaiden worlds aren't anything like that. They are one dimensional simplifications of the world into some boring mechanic (fighting bosses or whatever), and I couldn't give a flying fuck how deep into that mechanic they dive. They are simplistic and dull, in the same way as Tetris after a while.
You tried Way of the Samurai? 3 and 4 are on pc, though I'm not very sure if 4 runs on the latest PCs.

Ash

Arcane

So...you simply want deep lore or background, believability and context. It also seems like you want relatability as well as emotional content to get you invested further. Thanks for clarifying, the amount of times I've seen you whine about irrelevant minor realism details in other games I was almost misled!

Is that the true potential of video games? No. It's that in addition to amazing gameplay as well as accomplishment of the more traditional arts (music, art, quality writing, preferably all synergized w/ the gameplay). However, such games are so very rare, and Ghost of Tsushima and Twitcher are absolutely not where it's at (lol you mediocre midwit).

Lastly, you write off games like Sekiro or Dark Souls as mere boss rush games when it offers lore and context in the background, fairly thick atmosphere and immersive design, high stakes gameplay increases player investment (e.g death is consequential and this creates a degree of realistic tension), big open highly detailed semi-believable worlds and so forth. This is absolutely not reaching the true potential of video games as described above, no, but it is more so than the retard shit you like.

Tenchu isn't a boss rush game, while it has bosses just as Tsushima does they're not given much emphasis. It's a stealth game. The games are very interesting, with music in the first game that is worthy of a grandmaster. Interesting takes on Japanese mythology. Themes of honor, betrayal, duty, love etc. Immersive and atmospheric design. Brutal gore and skillful takedowns unlike Retard of Tsushima. No filler content please bro save my family from the mongols exactly the same as the previous five other quest givers. No stupid side quests that always try to be intelligent with a twist that typically fall flat on their face. No intakill button that wipes clean whole mongol squadrons in a single button press. No constant fox harassment. Not very "realistic" at all.
Shadow Warrior is pretty immersive at times and the gameplay constantly engaging & valuable, unlike the shit braindead games you like.
Onimusha has a pretty interesting world to invest in, but it is not hugely relatable or realistic/grounded so you'll write it off like a faggot.

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
My favorites:

Shadow Warrior (PC - 1997)
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PS1 - 1998)
Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins (PS1 - 2000)
Tenchu 3: Wrath of Heaven (PS2 - 2001)
Ninja Gaiden (XBOX - 2004)
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (PS2 - 2006)
Sekiro (Multiplatform - 2019)

All are about gameplay and "artificial shit like that". But if immersion, atmosphere, exploration and absorption of Japanese culture and themes is what you're after, then the three listed Tenchu games handle that quite nicely. You are too popamole/casual/misguided for all these games though. Ghost of Tsushima is perfect for you specifically. Ubisoft style, AAA dumbed down, shallow game design and a misplaced realism emphasis...by that I mean it doesn't do realism quite right, such as the lack of gore, as well as the copy-paste ubisoft design interfering, like constantly harassing the player with stupid foxes and gusts of wind because it is assumed he has no brain. And the gay pseudo-"realistic" storytelling too.
Very based that you recognize Dawn of Dreams as the best Onimusha, which it is.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Tsushima will be a fun interactive movie, stop being pretentious retards for a second.

:love:

Ash you are an idiot if you think anyone will enjoy your games old enough to have a driving license over Tsushima. You would be a tryhard laughing stock.

Ash

Arcane
You have to be kidding? The codex keeps declining. 2024 - 16 = 2008. So all games pre-2008 are shit and not in fact overwhelmingly FAR better than almost anything in the past 20 years. I sure love hanging around with unknowledgeable, uncultured tards.
Yes, I'm sure you will enjoy the popamole. I've played it already. It's merely OK and far from meeting its potential.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You have to be kidding? The codex keeps declining. 2024 - 16 = 2008. So all games pre-2008 are shit and not in fact overwhelmingly FAR better than almost anything in the past 20 years. I sure love hanging around with unknowledgeable, uncultured tards. Yes, I'm sure you will enjoy the popamole. I've played it already. It's merely OK and far from meeting its potential.
Who would play you PS2 wonders of gaming, nigger, wake up. You are being ridiculous.

Ash

Arcane
I play 90s and early 2000s games all the time, as does many others here on the Codex. Late 90s in particular is the absolute peak of the golden age. Heck I'd even play an 80s game if the design is solid (SMB3 is still the goat). This place literally has terms for the fall of game design, culture, and western civilization on the whole such as "the decline", "popamole" etc. However, it takes understanding and experiencing the good of the old world to even comprehend what, exactly, has even declined. That was 25 years ago now so it's a highly nuanced lost art, sadly.

Why is your name "awesome button"? Don't you know that is also a reference to a decline in standards? Why are there so many of you popamolers among us on the codex? I would pick all those games over Retard of Tsushima anytime, including the very oldest (Shadow Warrior) which kicks it's pathetic ass. GoT is absolutely fllled to the brim with filler content, coddling toddler gameplay (though not without merit in some regards), and a somewhat unremarkable but OK story. The only thing it really excels at is presentation. That's all the zero standards simpletons need.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Why are there so many of you popamolers among us on the codex?
:lol: :lol:

Why is your name "awesome button"? Don't you know that is also a reference to a decline in standards?
Because of irony.

You are the popamoler here. I nave never owned nor will ever own a console, you've been exposed to console shit for decades and are proud of it.

Ash

Arcane
Sigh. Too many retards on here. In what fucking retard world is every single PC game monocled highly complex, perfectly-executed intelligent masterpieces and every console game utter shit popamole? Only in your retard world. One where you say such things while drooling at the mouth waiting for your shitty retard modern console port popamole movie games to come to PC, such weird behavior. Now THAT's some goddamn irony - you don't play console games, except the modern worthless low-brow awesome button braindead movie ones once they are ported to PC, and yet think you can maintain an air of superiority over real, informed gamers. Go play your monocled PC classics like Barbie Riding Club you absolute clown. There is so many of your exact type among PC-only gamers it's embarrassing. It's also really goddamn sad you didn't have an open mind in the 90s, you missed out big time. Imagine only playing games on one platform the entire time and missing out on approximately two thirds of the golden age. You Sir have gimped comprehension of what incline/decline is, just as I suspected.

For you, Mr. Popamole:

OIP.Jwgq5hDkm1WfJ1kMrZrHbAHaHe

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
It's really sad when console games 30 years ago made specifically for children required far more brains and intelligence to play than the so-called "adult" games of today. These games try so hard to present themselves as "mature" and for adults but 90% of the time you're running around engaging in retard button mashing, following foxes the devs harass you with to lead you by the nose to loot you dont even need, playing the same dumb recycled filler content over and over the devs padded the world out with. You dumb motherfuckers just eat it up, it's utterly pathetic. Go ahead, PRE-PURCHASE your slop NOW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom