Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Glittering Gems of Hatred - part 3

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Prepare for the Future... of CRPGs

The Public Enemy

Educated
There are some true warriors in this thread and the lenght of their penises can only be as long as the length of their posts. You honor us all gentlemen :salute:

Amasius

Augur
It can only be good that Rosh channelize his rage now into something more productive. What he has revealed so far about the game he is making sounds very promising. We will wait, Big Man.

elander_

Arbiter
they really don't care if some sad old men with copious amounts of free time are bickering about how to build their intarweb maginot line of fallout purity.

What a sad puppet. I hope you are being paid to suck Bethesda's dick, otherwise why do you bother being a clown? People aren't going to stop discussing this subject or making articles about, even if the game developers don't care. Because Fallout is just that good as a game and because nothing that has been made after it does even reach his balls. Also Bethesda can't touch what Fallout has achieved. It's just enough to remember people that they can simply torrent Fallout or buy it for a penny in the old games section and have a much better gaming experience than any recent crpg piece of shit.

Fallout is the best crpg ever made. Period.

Fallout 3 will be a piece of shit made by a team of clueless morons and noob developers that will be deprecated in every aspect of the Fallout universe behind any possible recognition.

On the subject of news and rumors i don't see any problem on using a rumor as news item. I wouldn't dismiss the value of articles like the one that Kharns made either. People will feel manipulated if they don't see that there's a genuine interest in providing information of all kinds about Fallout.

elander_

Arbiter
Rosh said:
I don't use the words "revolutionary", "new age", "new era", or anything the hype whores care to throw around.

But will it be EPIC enough. :lol:

Rosh said:
An assload of writing? Yes, it has been. The trilogy has been in writing for about three years, and unfortunately only the first 1/5 of the first game can be publicly talked about, as the mere locations of the rest of the series will be a spoiler. The game is also done when it's done, meaning that it could be four to six years before it's finished, or longer, hence why the graphics are planned to be "adequate" so we could instead focus upon the story.

When will you open the game site? Fans could help you designing the game user interfaces and give you some ideas. For example campaign maps or world maps similar to RoA. This stuff does so much for crpgs with special and random encounters.

Rosh said:
I still hold the Origin beliefs, that a CRPG is an interactive story (though I don't like linear stories as a CRPG has the ability to be the ULTIMATE in pick-your-own-path adventures), and should feel that way. This silly Fed-Ex bullshit of recent CRPG lameness has got to go. I am also tired of games where NPC interaction consists of "kiss their ass as much as possible". No, fuck that, be yourself and the people will respond accordingly. If you're a brute, people should respond in suit depending upon their personality, and may like or hate you for it. For one example, in Bloodlines with the Bonds Shop. Insult the owner and he thinks it's pretty funny and likes you a bit more, but too much is too far, stuff like that. Others might like even cruder behavior. Be yourself or how you want to play your character, and it should respond to you in turn.

Thats the way to go. But what about other ways to be yourself besides dialog like specializing in a "prophession" like thief who barely touches a weapon or a talker that uses persuasion and can convince other people to do things for him?

Hazelnut

Erudite
dagorkan said:
elander_ said:
Fallout is the best crpg ever made. Period.

Is it really? I would not accuse other people of being fanboys if I were you.

Hmm, sometimes your logic is rock solid and other times rather 'emotional' Dagorkan. Why does expressing that Fallout is the best crpg ever made automatically mean someone is a fanboy? Irrational love for the game and not being able to accept any criticism (i.e. Fanboyism) is not shown by the above opinion. (Although I think adding "Period." to the end was pretty stupid and unnecessary, it's probably only there for emphasis.)

mister lamat

Scholar
yea, total puppet. watch how reality makes me dance!

you got a little shit on your chin, kid, go get mommy to wipe it off before you come back.

But seriously Mr lamat, instead of fence sitting, what do you think? what kind of Fallout would you prefer out of the various models swinging around the place?

a fun one. what that manifests as, or if it even happens, is gonna take place with or without my input. not married to any particular system and i don't find any avenue of design more righteous than another really. if beth does it well (not likely) that's great and i'll buy it, if not... oh well... i'll steal it and milk what fun i can from it.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Hazelnut said:
Why does expressing that Fallout is the best crpg ever made automatically mean someone is a fanboy? Irrational love for the game and not being able to accept any criticism (i.e. Fanboyism) is not shown by the above opinion.

Why the extreme reaction to mr lamat - "U SUCK BETHESDA DICK?!!!"? Just for pointing out obvious things - that Bethesda's mind is not going to be changed by a few rabid articles on NMA. I don't have a problem with elander, normally he is a pretty good poster, but he (and others) are way too sensitive when it comes to their favorite game.

elander_

Arbiter
mister lamat said:
yea, total puppet. watch how reality makes me dance!

What do you know about reality moron? That Bethesda developers don't give a damn about Fallout or what the fans have to say? We all know about this already. Moron.

mister lamat said:
you got a little shit on your chin, kid, go get mommy to wipe it off before you come back.

That's how little kids react when they really have nothing to say want to feel big.

a fun one. what that manifests as, or if it even happens, is gonna take place with or without my input. not married to any particular system and i don't find any avenue of design more righteous than another really. if beth does it well (not likely) that's great and i'll buy it, if not... oh well... i'll steal it and milk what fun i can from it.

Fuck aren't you the genious who know so much about gaming to call people righteous. I'm sure that with how much you expect from a game and your lack of reasoning abilities you will just love any piece of crap they make. Don't worry. It will be great.

mister lamat

Scholar
i dunno, they paid money for the license and assigned people to work on it. pretty sure that means they give a damn about their idea of fallout... now your idea... that one they don't care about.

That's how little kids react when they really have nothing to say want to feel big.

you're right, little kids do run to mommy but it's mostly because they want to feel loved, not big. she does love you, go get a hug or something. maybe it'll help with the snott-bubbling little temper tantrum you're having right now.

Fuck aren't you the genious who know so much about gaming to call people righteous. I'm sure that with how much you expect from a game and your lack of reasoning abilities you will just love any piece of crap they make. Don't worry. It will be great.

seriously kid, you can barely read... slow it down, have a warm glass of milk and then try again with my big bad imposing sentence. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!

elander_

Arbiter
dagorkan said:
Why the extreme reaction to mr lamat - "U SUCK BETHESDA DICK?!!!"? Just for pointing out obvious things - that Bethesda's mind is not going to be changed by a few rabid articles on NMA. I don't have a problem with elander, normally he is a pretty good poster, but he (and others) are way too sensitive when it comes to their favorite game.

I'm not sensitive. I just like calling morons morons. I think it's you who are being a bit sensitive with language details that don't mater. Language like that is not important, what is important is the argumentation and there are plenty arguments, signs, etc to point that Bethesda Fallout will be a piece of shit.

Also i don't see anything rabid in Khans article. It just shows expectations that are fundamented with examples. If someone is acting like they were burned are the people who are bothering posting on this thread just to throw insults and whining about the fallout community. The article simply states the truth, that gameplay is getting more and more dumb-downed.

elander_

Arbiter
you're right, little kids do run to mommy but it's mostly because they want to feel loved, not big. she does love you, go get a hug or something. maybe it'll help with the snott-bubbling little temper tantrum you're having right now.

Let's have a funny fight about who has the most snott-bubbling little temper and call names to each other. That will show who is the real man here.

mister lamat said:
seriously kid, you can barely read... slow it down, have a warm glass of milk and then try again with my big bad imposing sentence. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!

Really man you are not even trying to sound inteligent. If that's all you can do to criticise the fallout community - having 5 year old retarded reactions - then i guess i'm done with you.

dagorkan

Arbiter
elander_ said:
Also i don't see anything rabid in Khans article. It just shows expectations that are fundamented with examples. If someone is acting like they were burned are the people who are bothering posting on this thread just to throw insults and whining about the fallout community. The article simply states the truth, that gameplay is getting more and more dumb-downed.

No shit Sherlock. Nobody is contesting that so it's a strawman. What we contest is that Kharn's organized bitch-club is going to make Bethesda change its mind. It might have changed its mind if people had used the information given by VDweller and used it intelligently as a club to bash Bethesda with - forcing to go back to drawing board. This is not what Kharn is doing, NMA are just little children throwing shit at the grownups to get attention.

A mature adult points out why you are full of shit, proving it with supporting evidence and then tells you how you can stop being so fuill of shit. A child just throws a tantrum and screams itself hoarse. One can work, the other is just good for ego-drama.

There's the difference.

Briosafreak

Augur
A mature adult points out why you are full of shit, proving it with supporting evidence and then tells you how you can stop being so fuill of shit. A child just throws a tantrum and screams itself hoarse. One can work, the other is just good for ego-drama.

So since Kahrn was the one searching for evidence to back his arguments that makes him the mature one, while your emo tantrum makes you the child. Thanks for the chance to make that more clear.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fallout is the best crpg ever made. Period."

No. Period.

elander_

Arbiter
dagorkan said:
No shit Sherlock. Nobody is contesting that so it's a strawman.

Yes you are. You can't even read what you write yourself. Moron.

"that Bethesda's mind is not going to be changed by a few rabid articles on NMA"

And nobody ever mentioned trying to change Bethesda's mind in anything. Stop being a moron. It's not fun.

NMA is just a Fallout fan site with similar opinions about Fallout and people enjoy writing articles. Thats all. Only a moron makes stuff up to attack a perfectly innocent fan site.

mister lamat

Scholar
Really man you are not even trying to sound inteligent. If that's all you can do to criticise the fallout community - having 5 year old retarded reactions - then i guess i'm done with you.

part of said community. bought the game, played the game, enjoyed the game and discussed the game. now if there's a secret handshake or something...

yes, i do criticize the reactions that seem to resemble those of retarded five year-olds. you don't get to make up the rules for someone else's game, so don't be all pissy when they take their ball away and go home. you can't call them 'cockgobbler' and expect them to come back either.

if there was a place to have meaningful discussion... hell, i'd settle for interesting at this point... regarding fallout3, then i'd take part. sadly, 'the real fans' can't keep their hate-jones for bethesda in their pants, chased off the devs and pr guys, then piss and moan about how no one is going to listen to them.

you were done before you even signed up for an account here, hoss. back in the day there was discussion and interaction with devs and this site did honestly take a more active role in helping shape ideas. now, we got sad little parrots like you who lack the capacity for original thought and are scared of being deemed 'uncool' by the hive-mind. it's poisonous and slowly driving the site into further obscurity. fucking pale reflections of a otaku or spaz...

elander_

Arbiter
mister lamat said:
if there was a place to have meaningful discussion... hell, i'd settle for interesting at this point... regarding fallout3, then i'd take part.

If you don't try then why should i try?

mister lamat said:
you were done before you even signed up for an account here, hoss. back in the day there was discussion and interaction with devs and this site did honestly take a more active role in helping shape ideas.

If you don't see people discussing game ideas here or giving fundamented criticism on games that's not because there aren't any. Do you want fundamented aguments? There are tons of them, just pick one and comment on it.

People won't just stop criticisng Fallout and be pessimistic about it just because it bothers some people who instead would rather have fake optimism. If the bad language bothers you you are free to create your own Fallout 3 fansite were bad language is regulated. I think this would be a good idea and i would probably post in there (without the nasty words scaring words of course).

mister lamat said:
now, we got sad little parrots like you who lack the capacity for original thought and are scared of being deemed 'uncool' by the hive-mind.

Again if you think that way then too bad for you. A lot of people think the same way but that doesn't mean OMG hive-mind.The reason is there's really nothing to be optimistic about for experienced rpg gamers and even noobe players complain about the mediocrity of new crpgs.

mister lamat said:
it's poisonous and slowly driving the site into further obscurity. fucking pale reflections of a otaku or spaz...

On the contrary, there are two rpgs being made, one by one of the administrators of this site and another by an ex-NMA menber. This is great progress. I will certainly buy both games if i get a chance to try them and they follow the old and still unbeaten ways of gameplay.

I realy don't give a damn if NMA news or codex news will ever change anything and i don't think anyone lives is regulated by this. I think of these sites as gamer sites for a special kind of gamer who loves games and try to inform themselves about games more than the rest. The message passed may be negative and sometimes repetitive but that's most people here feel about it with arguments to back it up.

I don't blame any noob player for liking Oblivion or NWN2. I enjoyed and played worst games when i was younger and dumber. However that doesn't mean i have to like these games and restrict myself from commenting on these on a forum on account of some manipulative sense of politeness. It's actually good for everyone that there is a negative voice to compensate for the extreme ass-sucking that is games news and believe or not a lot of people (the not so dumb ones) lock for alternative opinions and even negative posting site when they see there's too much ass-sucking and low quality reviews.

PS: About having developers posting here you can't compare Fallout developers and the team spirit they had (with Brian Fargo) at the time they made Fallout with Bethesda developers and their team spirit (with Pete). These are the kind of developers that censor sites because they don't like what they say in there and theres nothing that i hate more than fucking fascists and communists.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Fall Out was adaquit at best in my opinion. Ultima 4,5, and 6 were all far better. Wasteland, its predesesor, was superior. The gold box SST games were better. Even Morrowind was better.

Not everybody thinks the dialogue driven "choose your own adventure" model is all that great. Personally, I get tired of "if-then" text mazes pretty quick. Having that as their focus made games like Fall Out and Torment, with their obvious quest trees, seem pretty dull. I prefer something a little more fluid... the best is yet to come.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Joe Krow said:
Fall Out was adaquit at best in my opinion. Ultima 4,5, and 6 were all far better. Wasteland, its predesesor, was superior. The gold box SST games were better. Even Morrowind was better.

Hey Joe...

1/ It's 'Fallout', not 'Fall Out'
2/ It's SSI not SST, STD or anything else
3/ 'adaquit' is not a word
4/ The GoldBox games sucked

Lots of rabid losers hang out on this forum and they'll Dumbfuck you for no reason at all. Don't give them a reason.

Not everybody thinks the dialogue driven "choose your own adventure" model is all that great. Personally, I get tired of "if-then" text mazes pretty quick. Having that as their focus made games like Fall Out and Torment, with their obvious quest trees, seem pretty dull. I prefer something a little more fluid... the best is yet to come.

A respectable viewpoint except Torment is not a good example. What kind of RPG do you like? Baldurs Gate?

Joe Krow

Erudite
No love for the gold box? It was like Bard's Tale with tactical combat. They had good stories too. The original Neverwinter, using the same engine, proved that turn-based tactical combat was viable in an online game.

For me, Ultima 4 holds the status most people here attribute to Fallout. It offered an open world with an abundance of objectives but no quests. No quests = No rails. You would hear about an item or individual, ask around and research, and ultimatly succeed or fail in your goal. The "rumors" dialogue option you've seen in almost every game since originated here but has never been used in quite the same way.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I haven't played any of the Ultimas - well, except a demo of one ten years ago and a DS mod.

Goldboxes: just boring D&D in a Forgotten Realms setting. The stories didn't impress me. No C&C, very linear . Only things I liked maybe were the puzzles and the hintbook.

You have a point about too-formulaic quests-to-advance though. It seems rigid and I don't like it either.

taxacaria

Scholar
Joe Krow said:
Even Morrowind was better...

Not everybody thinks the dialogue driven "choose your own adventure" model is all that great. Personally, I get tired of "if-then" text mazes pretty quick.

Dialogue study isn't acceptable for the weak minded, that's right.
If you like simpe topic clicking and dialogue without any great ingame consequences, there are enough of hack&slash or action RPGs to satisfy your needs.

Is Morrowind not an example for the "choose your own adventure" model?
That model is part of the TES philosophy, beginning with Daggerfall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom