Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I installed it using the offline installer because there's no way to tell Galaxy to not download and install Revision. But then Galaxy detects the installation and forces the download of the Revision files either way.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's sad how every new update of GOG makes me more and more disappointed with the former service dedicated to preserve good old games. Now they don't even bother to do that right, seeing there are many games with missing/faulty features compared to Steam. Or not publishing stuff for inane reasons while indie crap that no normal human being will ever play is given a pass.

i'm excited when GOG finally decides to release some old stuff on their website instead of just jacking off. i more or less lost my mind when they released sea dogs, emperor of the fading suns, hidden and dangerous 2, parkan 1, and the old combat mission games there

Lacrymas

Arcane
Also, the whole launcher integration thing was a huge dud. The only use for it is to see what games you have where without opening all the launchers. I hate that it opens the other launchers in order to start up a game. Launchers are already RAM eaters, I don't need more than 1 running at a time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I have 16 GBs as of a few weeks, but still. I want all my resources to go to programs I want, not shitty DRM bloatware.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sure.

Just saying that the RAM issue is minor compared to the rest of the reasons to dislike launchers.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have 16 GBs as of a few weeks, but still. I want all my resources to go to programs I want, not shitty DRM bloatware.

The way clients and modern windows work, it's really not an issue dude. Reason to be against DRM is companies controlling your access after you download the game.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While GOG does have a "browse by release date" feature and that kinda serves as a temporary solution, that doesn't help you to keep track of, say, a good release from 1999. If you sort it by oldest first get you'll get thrown to Akalabeth, the Zork games and other 80's stuff, and said 1999 release will be hidden many pages in.

GOG's filtering is awful (e.g. they do not even have an option to hide stuff you already own) and it weird that this feature you describe doesn't exist since they actually used to have something like it at the past (IIRC it was a "before 1995, after 1995" or some similar year).

However you can install this Greasemonkey script to add a very nice detailed grid view to the games lists:

https://github.com/ghorint2t/scripts

Then you can type something like, e.g. 1997-2001 in the year column filter to only show games released between 1997 and 2001. You can also use it to sort by discount, filter to specific genres and of course hide any owned games you have.

Bara

Arcane
Right am I missing something or is there any way to have gog galaxy when it creates a desktop icon actually launch the game and by pass logging into the launcher on download? Is there some option to adjust how it install games?

Currently after installing a game through galaxy I then have to create my own short cut so I don't have to log in to play my games otherwise when I lauch a game from the desktop shortcut that galaxy made it says "log in to install your game" even though its already installed.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Right am I missing something or is there any way to have gog galaxy when it creates a desktop icon actually launch the game and by pass logging into the launcher on download? Is there some option to adjust how it install games?

Currently after installing a game through galaxy I then have to create my own short cut so I don't have to log in to play my games otherwise when I lauch a game from the desktop shortcut that galaxy made it says "log in to install your game" even though its already installed.

If you open the game installation folder, all GOG games have a shortcut for launching the game. Simply copy that to your desktop.

And no, creating shortcuts through Galaxy redirects the game launch through Galaxy.

ADL

Prophet

Metro Last Light Redux is free on GOG's main page for the next 48 hours
Metro 2033 Redux might not be worth it. I've heard people complain about that one but the mode that makes Last Light play like 2033 (more survival-oriented) is worth it.

Dux

Arcane
750+ games amounting to almost 500 GB in total have now been uploaded safely to a cloud. It took time, effort and much of my remaining sanity but it's finally done. GOG Galaxy is now but a memory and I'm glad to see the back of it, to be honest. Old games in the cloud and new games from Steam - that's the way forward. Steam is at least good for keeping games updated and the workshop is a neat bonus, I guess.

Going forward I'll also use Launchbox as a hub for my games and it's looking pretty good so far, especially with the Big Box mode that comes with Premium.

This is what Big Box looks like by the way, although it can change appearance pretty jarringly depending on what theme you're using:
4WbUgc6.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Cool to know the rough storage demands of such an endeavor. One of these days I'll buy two 3TB drives or some shit and back up all the classics on redundant drives, hopefully. Though honestly since people like you exist I'm not worried about these games being available in the future, and for that I salute you.

ADL

Prophet
Just curious why do you hate Galaxy so much? Personally I back up all my DRM-free games on Steam/GOG/EGS but I don't mind using Galaxy as a client. Also, why new games on Steam? Some of the newer Denuvo games I've bought on Steam later released on GOG and they never bothered to patch it out so I try to wait for a GOG release as much as possible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Galaxy is great for new stuff with lots of patches and a large install size, but for older stuff like he's talking about it probably just causes problems and offers nothing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The only problem I've had with an older game is the Deus Ex thing which I already fixed.

Dux

Arcane
GOG Galaxy is decent. For one thing, it's more visually pleasing than Steam - which is not saying much admittedly. However, pretty much all of these clients lack custimisation and that is a pretty big deal for me. I want things to look neat and tidy: Launchbox ticks most boxes in that category and it's a very flexible way of organising your games.

Additionally, it didn't seem to make much sense to persist with Galaxy and its lack of features considering I'm never going to spend any real money on GOG again. It seems quite pointless. Sure, I'll keep a lookout for more old games on discounts that I can add to my cloud storage but that's literally it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm using GOG for old games and see no added value from installing another client. And, like I mentioned previously, Galaxy doesn't scale well to low res, making it look like shit and a pain to use, so my prestigious 1024x768 screen says no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom