Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Isn't Mastodon that woke alternative to twitter? If so, that's already a red flag.
Woke alternative?
Twitter isn't woke enough?
Apparently not. When Elon took over a lot of the woke types threw a fit and wanted to go to Mastodon. Never mind that twitter is still a cesspit, just a slightly fairer one.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ironic. Woke. Mastadon. I keep thinking huge fat colored haired freaks yelling all the time eternally butthurt.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
SPRING GOG-CHAN!!!
IMG_7159.jpeg

IMG_7158.jpeg

Kirben

Novice
What preservation? GOG currently puts in the absolute minimum effort to get older DOS game working on modern systems
  • Original game files aren't even included half the time, due to replacements been used (i.e. ScummVM)
  • Rarely provides alterative versions (Floppy vs CD, other platforms), even if they offer advantages.
  • No attempt to provide high quality conversions of old manuals (converted and reformatted, not just scanned in, or ripped off other sites)
  • Lucky to even get manuals or clue books in recent releases of older RPGS (Phantasie, Silver Box Classics)
  • Tends to use game cracks, or whatever is provided by publishers, rather than even attempt to remove copy protection themselves.
  • I expect there was lots of other bonuses included in original game boxes, that could be converted to digital too.

If GOG focused their developers on fixing older games, rather than wasting time on Galaxy front end, they could achieve a lot more, they could even provide some optional fun trainers, like the old scene used to do.

What preservation? GOG currently puts in the absolute minimum effort to get older DOS game working on modern systems
  • Original game files aren't even included half the time, due to replacements been used (i.e. ScummVM)
  • Rarely provides alterative versions (Floppy vs CD, other platforms), even if they offer advantages.
  • No attempt to provide high quality conversions of old manuals (converted and reformatted, not just scanned in, or ripped off other sites)
  • Lucky to even get manuals or clue books in recent releases of older RPGS (Phantasie, Silver Box Classics)
  • Tends to use game cracks, or whatever is provided by publishers, rather than even attempt to remove copy protection themselves.
  • I expect there was lots of other bonuses included in original game boxes, that could be converted to digital too.

If GOG focused their developers on fixing older games, rather than wasting time on Galaxy front end, they could achieve a lot more, they could even provide some optional fun trainers, like the old scene used to do.
"Preservation" here means "i can buy it again"

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Isn't Mastodon that woke alternative to twitter? If so, that's already a red flag.
Woke alternative?
Apparently not. When Elon took over a lot of the woke types threw a fit and wanted to go to Mastodon. Never mind that twitter is still a cesspit, just a slightly fairer one.
Twitter is pretty much the same.
I don't know about it being "fairer" or anything.
Fairer in skin tone

Cologno

Educated
Woke alternative?
Twitter is pretty much the same.
I don't know about it being "fairer" or anything.
Fairer in skin tone
Not even. Elon ain't white.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do not have a Gog-Chan pic with Amazon tattooed on her ass ..... yet. Or she could be dressed as an Amazon.
Have you tried not being a faggot?
people should back up GOG games on SSDs and bury them underground like scientology did to hubbard's books in case our friends at sweet**** decide to "update" them for modern audiences
What good would that do? You will struggle to find a DVD drive in a PC these days. It won't be long until SSDs are ancient tech nothing supports.
this post makes zero sense

all consumer computers need a reliable form of long term, non-volatile storage can be serviced (i.e. removed and replaced if it breaks) if something goes wrong for whatever reason

SSD's - either in the form of NVME SSD's that connects directly to your motherboard, or in the form of SATA SSD's that attach to somewhere in your case and connect to your mobo via a SATA cable - are still the order of the day when it comes to storage

hell, people still use SATA HDD's if they want something that's dirt cheap and reliable. HDD's are glacially slow, but you can store a *lot* of stuff on a 4 TB SATA HDD for relatively little money

Hell Swarm

Educated

all consumer computers need a reliable form of long term, non-volatile storage can be serviced (i.e. removed and replaced if it breaks) if something goes wrong for whatever reason
It makes a lot of sense if you're not small brained.

There is no guarantee that a consumer computer will even exist in 10 years time. Let alone 100 or more. Preservation goes beyond this tech cycle and we've seen a lot of old tech disappear after being an essential part of life. Fax machine and pagers are both dead tech now and 30 years ago were every where.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

It makes a lot of sense if you're not small brained.

There is no guarantee that a consumer computer will even exist in 10 years time. Let alone 100 or more. Preservation goes beyond this tech cycle and we've seen a lot of old tech disappear after being an essential part of life. Fax machine and pagers are both dead tech now and 30 years ago were every where.
Yes, but owning them after all these years brings with them a certain collector's prestige.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't recall which GOG pirate site I used to visit but it became a god damn virus park. It was like walking in Eugene with all the homeless and their needles and shit everywhere. WATCH YOUR STEP!!! FUCK!!!

Yeah, a lot of certain sites I've abandoned. I am not sure if this one was a shit-fest or not. I went legit purchase a long while ago unless roms and internet archive.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I can't recall which GOG pirate site I used to visit but it became a god damn virus park. It was like walking in Eugene with all the homeless and their needles and shit everywhere. WATCH YOUR STEP!!! FUCK!!!

Yeah, a lot of certain sites I've abandoned. I am not sure if this one was a shit-fest or not. I went legit purchase a long while ago unless roms and internet archive.
Well, those are just part and parcel of navigating those websites in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom