Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GoG TW2 Preorder: Which bonus game to get?

Green Fairy

Novice
Howdy,

My GoG preorder came with a freebie choice of getting one of these:
  • Beyond Divinity
  • Divine Divinity
  • Gothic II Gold Edition
  • Realms of Arkania 1&2
  • Realms of Arkania 3
Now I ain't got a single one of these games. So which do you guys recommend?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I got Divine Divinity because Larian is still developing games. And I remember reading somewhere that the gog version has an exclusive patch, I remember some drama from retail version owners that didn't get it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gothic 2 Gold is probably the best overall game. Divine Divinity is a Diablo-like with story, so if you're into that style of game it might be up your alley - the voice acting is horrid, though. Realms of Arkania 1&2 are interesting with a fairly deep system compared to most games but they also tend to drown you in details (e.g. wear a winter coat in cold weather or catch the flu).

Beyond Divinity is the only one I'd say to definitely not get (it's also what I had to pick since I had the rest of those already).

MMXI

Arcane
Divine Divinity if you care about supporting the developers as Larian are still alive. If not, Realms of Arkania 1 & 2 shit on the rest from a great height.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I prefer Gothic II Gold but Divine Divinity is excellent as well. Once you get past the Diablo-like gameplay of the first five dungeon levels, DD opens up into a huge open exploration world with tonnes of quests, a half decent story and some of the best music ever in a video game.

Both are great choices and you can't go wrong with either one of them.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
DD is the weirdest and most value packed of the lot.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But as far as I know, the money from Gothic II purchases still go to Jewood or whatever is left of it.

MCA
mediocrepoet said:
Realms of Arkania 1&2 ... tend to drown you in details (e.g. wear a winter coat in cold weather or catch the flu).

A most simple and reasonable game choice = IH GOD HALP IMMA DROWNIN INDATAILS!

This is what playing too many shit games does to your brain. You start perceiving things that used to be perfectly normal and expected to be "extra details". That even the top Codex favourites lack these kinds of details tells something about the state of RPGs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gothic 2 is the best game on that list by a decent margin -- as to where the money goes, it doesn't matter. It's a free promo game.

MMXI

Arcane
Satori said:
Gothic 2 for the best game.
mediocrepoet said:
Gothic 2 Gold is probably the best overall game.
Metro said:
Gothic 2 is the best game on that list by a decent margin
:retarded:

villain of the story said:
mediocrepoet said:
Realms of Arkania 1&2 ... tend to drown you in details (e.g. wear a winter coat in cold weather or catch the flu).
A most simple and reasonable game choice = IH GOD HALP IMMA DROWNIN INDATAILS!

This is what playing too many shit games does to your brain. You start perceiving things that used to be perfectly normal and expected to be "extra details". That even the top Codex favourites lack these kinds of details tells something about the state of RPGs.
:thumbsup:

Andhaira

Arcane
Get Divine Divnity. Yes, even the Realms of Arkania series is the best game series I have ever played, I still suggest you get DD. Thing is, you might not like the hardcoreness of The Realms of Arkania series. Also, DD is a fine gem of a game.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Realms of Arkania 2 is definitely the best and deepest RPG on that list. Then again, Gothic 2 is a nice action-RPG if you're an explorationfag, especially with the Night of the Raven expansion installed. So it depends on what you're looking for in an RPG, really.

Micmu

Magister
Get Gothic 2 (Piranha still lives) and is a cute action/adventure.
RoA you can download elsewhere.
Xy Divinity is utter shit, play Diablo instead.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
All of those games are good, except arguably Beyond Divinity, but it's still not awful. It really just depends on your preferences and what sorts of RPGs you enjoy... Diablo-style action, get Divine Divinity, open world, it's Gothic 2, and for something more traditional you can't go wrong with Arkania. Trying to break down those games as if they are objectively better/worse is pretty difficult because they all represent different eras and niches of the RPG genre.

MMXI

Arcane
micmu said:
Get Gothic 2 (Piranha still lives) and is a cute action/adventure.
And Piranha Bytes won't be getting a penny from it.

micmu said:
RoA you can download elsewhere.
And you can download Gothic 2 from elsewhere.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Something to think about when DD is described as a "Diablo clone":

It's more like Diablo++ in that although the game is packed with respawning combat, there are lots and lots of quests, many some interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom