Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Going to play Fallout: New Vegas for the first time, requesting sage 'dex advice.

naossano

Cipher
Well, Dr Henry openly admit being ex-Enclave (which is no secret if you played Fo2), while the conversations with others give some hints about their past.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Am wondering about couple of things concerning the dam battle.
Does boomer carpet bombing cause any real damage to legion soldiers or is it just for show. Would there be more enemy soldiers after the checkpoint if they wouldn't drop the bombs?
Are other helpers like Khans and Remnants supposed to dissipate along the way? Only the Cabbibal Something geezer with minigun comes all the way till the ending with Lanius.

typical user

Arbiter
Am wondering about couple of things concerning the dam battle.
Does boomer carpet bombing cause any real damage to legion soldiers or is it just for show. Would there be more enemy soldiers after the checkpoint if they wouldn't drop the bombs?
Are other helpers like Khans and Remnants supposed to dissipate along the way? Only the Cabbibal Something geezer with minigun comes all the way till the ending with Lanius.

If you have Boomers on your side then you will be able to use them. Don't want to spoil though, because it is really good moment. But no, they don't reduce Legion/NCR numbers AFAIK so in temrs of combat they are for the show but they are useful still if you don't have certain stats high. I can't help you with Khans because I told them to get out of Mojave before things get nasty. Remnants show up at one point but only Cannibal Johnson or whatever his name was or the other one that guy who is vengeful over NCR will follow you through. Rest just stays at their spawn point shooting stragglers.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I already finished the game, so nothing to spoil. In what way are boomers useful then if the bomber was just for the show?

typical user

Arbiter
You can avoid fight with general Oliver or Lanius after you've dealt with each other. You have to have 100 speech for that option if I recall correctly. I played on Yes Man's side and told Oliver to try his luck with band of Securitrons on my side pointing their rockets at his back as well as Boomers in sky bombing the whole place who I can order to attack NCR territories any moment and so he should surrender. You can then order Yes Man to throw him off the dam.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Replayed FNV, for the first time working with Legion and roleplaying an evil fuck.

Highlights:
- completed Goodsprings by siding with Powder gangers;
- made Boone kill his friend Manny, and then rubbed this info in his ugly face;
- rigged rocket fuel during "Come fly with me" quest;
- betrayed Cass while working for Van Graffs;
- worked with Mortimer, framed Ted Gunderson for killing his son;
- lied to a girl with whom a young boomer fell in love with, convinced her to run into the artillery barrage;
- destroyed Brotherhood and then told Veronica about this;
- sold Arcade into slavery.

Yeah, that was a bit more evil than nuking Megaton.

Also - holy shit, Arizona Killer is amazing. Basically a small Hitman mission inserted into an open world rpg. Use disguise, shoot vertibird, hack turrets, hack navigational program making vertibird crash, plant explosives into vertibird, plant explosives into some poor sod's helmet (lol), simply shoot Kimball with a sniper rifle. Great stuff.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Replayed FNV, for the first time working with Legion and roleplaying an evil fuck.

Highlights:
- completed Goodsprings by siding with Powder gangers;
- made Boone kill his friend Manny, and then rubbed this info in his ugly face;
- rigged rocket fuel during "Come fly with me" quest;
- betrayed Cass while working for Van Graffs;
- worked with Mortimer, framed Ted Gunderson for killing his son;
- lied to a girl with whom a young boomer fell in love with, convinced her to run into the artillery barrage;
- destroyed Brotherhood and then told Veronica about this;
- sold Arcade into slavery.

Yeah, that was a bit more evil than nuking Megaton.

Also - holy shit, Arizona Killer is amazing. Basically a small Hitman mission inserted into an open world rpg. Use disguise, shoot vertibird, hack turrets, hack navigational program making vertibird crash, plant explosives into vertibird, plant explosives into some poor sod's helmet (lol), simply shoot Kimball with a sniper rifle. Great stuff.

Or walk up to him and blow his head off with revolver.

DAFA2C9D91A2475B0969B63D560000AEB6C46CBF

about to buy FNV on steam its like $4.99, never played it..what DLC is needed? Any? Do I need any mods? I would rather avoid downloading a bunch of bullshit if possible, but I guess if absolutely necessary I would. I have avoided 3d fallout because I am still butthurt about it, but I guess I should at least give a FNV a chance someday..I did not read any of the 16 pages of this thread, its TLDR..

what mods do I need? The josh sawyer one? Any others? Where are the mods for this POS? I am going to pissed if I hate this game, I fucking hate bethesda and Oblivion bullshit and most 3d games..

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Mods for Fallout: New Vegas can be obtained from the Nexus, as usual for games running on the Morrowind engine. As far as gameplay is concerned, necessary mods are minimal; just download something for extra bug fixes beyond those caught by Obsidian, something to improve the menu interface and/or replace the Pipboy, something to remove the skill cap of 100, and something to make quest items removable from your inventory. If you want graphical mods, there are probably far more now than the last time I played nearly a decade ago.

so after playing this game for the first time ever for about 5 hours now (using the josh sawyer MOD btw) I guess I can see why people like it, but I just can't into the 3D view, which I thought would likely be the case. The graphics actually are fine, better than I expected them to be...however...

I know moderns think 3d is more 'immersive', but being old I find it just the opposite and its hard to think anything but that I am playing a bad looking cartoon all the time. I also constantly feel claustrophobic, I just don't like 3D RPG's and can't really get into them, its too much of a chore to explore the world. It would take me 600 hours to play this game, I am sure its fine, but I don't think I can do it.

I also constantly feel claustrophobic, I
Play it in third person then?
I changed the view from 1st to 3ed person and it did not make much of a difference to me. One of the issues is it will just take way too long for me to search everything in the game world, I am used to being able to scan the screen with the mouse and search a room more easily.

Having to literally walk around every room, then approach and face what you want to search or explore and then adjust your eye site level and then search or loot whatever thing you are examining takes forever. Just searching the first doctor guys house you start in (where you make your character) took me like 15 minutes. I realize you don't need to or 'HAVE TO' do this in order to play or win the game, but I like to play RPG's to explore and look at the world and if doing so feels like a literal chore to me and takes an incredible amount of effort, I just don't have the stamina to keep it up.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also constantly feel claustrophobic, I
Play it in third person then?
I changed the view from 1st to 3ed person and it did not make much of a difference to me. One of the issues is it will just take way too long for me to search everything in the game world, I am used to being able to scan the screen with the mouse and search a room more easily.

Having to literally walk around every room, then approach and face what you want to search or explore and then adjust your eye site level and then search or loot whatever thing you are examining takes forever. Just searching the first doctor guys house you start in (where you make your character) took me like 15 minutes. I realize you don't need to or 'HAVE TO' do this in order to play or win the game, but I like to play RPG's to explore and look at the world and if doing so is a literally chore and just takes an incredible amount of effort to do, I just don't have the stamina to keep it up.
Well if it ain't for you it ain't for you. I tend to use FPP only to search things anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom