Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Good-Evil reviews KOTOR 2 (and other games too!)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I see Idiotic People in this thread. There are TONS of evil things to do in the OC.

Anyone who suggests otherwise is just being a moron.

That is all.

Zach

Novice
Hey guys,

As administrator of Good-Evil, I thought I should come thank you for linking us, though it's not exactly in the most flattering way. While you guys are certainly entitled to think our reviews are terrible, keep in mind that not every review is written for someone who has already played the game. Our review policy is generally to give a overview of the title, and if the reviewer wishes, get a bit more in depth about it as well. It varies from each of our writers. And if you are commenting about the professionalism, I should say that Good-Evil is a profit free site started by myself and two of my old high school friends. Brandon and Chuck (the two who wrote the reviews in question) are very experienced game players, and I value their opinions on these games, even if my opinion may differ. My friends are the ones writing these reviews, and our reviews are (ideally) written as if the writer was talking to his friends about it. What's good about it? Whats bad? Would you recommend it, and what is it similar to? etc...

Ah well, thanks for visiting the site anyway.

-Zach

Stark

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Anytime you kill a monster and steal his lunch money, you're being evil. :)

holy shit.... can i atone myself by taking only half the lunch money? I promise to do that from now on...

Zach said:
What's good about it? Whats bad? Would you recommend it, and what is it similar to? etc...

be prepared to be flamed. Personally I'm glad you posts here for opinion though.

The review about NWN, like plenty of other review sites, was too flattering. The reviewer seemed to be influenced by all the hype and failed to see the failings of NWN.

the options to role-play, in the OC, are generally very superficial and has little to no long lasting consequences. Mostly it involves you offering to help for free (good) or ask for a reward up front (evil), which, if you think about it, is stupid.

there's plenty to complain about the OC. it's obviously not well planned out, and very badly designed (just think of the way the quests are structured), yet plenty of reviewers (including your site) heaped too much praise upon it, possibly an effect of brain washing from all the hype surrounding its release.

you can choose how you do a mission or even if you do it

there're very few occations where you get to approach a mission in multiple ways in the OC. I don't want to comment too much on the last bit "or even if you do it". I mean, that's considered a plus?

Saran

Scholar
I dont know if its brainwashing, dont get me wrong, judgeing by the reviews ive seen on some sites the reviewers must have had their heads up their arses, but in my case one of the reasons i cant bring myself to hate it is due to the setting.

It was great to be back on the sword coast, i dont play any PnP games, mostly due to the fact i dont know anyone around here with an interest in PnP so the only time i get to adventure in Faerun is when a new D&D game is released.

Its kind of like watching some of the old war movies from the 50's/60's/70's.

While the acting is ,for the most part, terrible, the violence is heavily sanitised and the dialogue is cheesy, they are still a lot of fun, im going to sound like a tit when i say this but i would call NWN "Comfort Gaming."

At least in my case.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
:lol: I can't imagine enjoying the OC just for the Forgotten Realms considering the way it raped the setting.

Stark

Liturgist
Saran said:
but in my case one of the reasons i cant bring myself to hate it is due to the setting.

who's saying they hate NWN? it's silly to hate a game.

What's grating, though, is the kind of crazy lopsided reviews that praised NWN and gives it near perfect scores (and in many cases, perfect scores).

The graphics consistently scored 9/10 in most review sites yet if you play for 10 hours or so the samey looking and overused tilesets would start irritating you. If those reviewers look at the low polygon ugly looking characters and still award 9/10 for graphics... something must be very wrong.

I'll leave others to comment on the terrible henchmen AI, pathfinding and the combat.

Saran

Scholar
Stark said:
Saran said:
but in my case one of the reasons i cant bring myself to hate it is due to the setting.

who's saying they hate NWN? it's silly to hate a game.

What's grating, though, is the kind of crazy lopsided reviews that praised NWN and gives it near perfect scores (and in many cases, perfect scores).

The graphics consistently scored 9/10 in most review sites yet if you play for 10 hours or so the samey looking and overused tilesets would start irritating you. If those reviewers look at the low polygon ugly looking characters and still award 9/10 for graphics... something must be very wrong.

I'll leave others to comment on the terrible henchmen AI, pathfinding and the combat.

Ohh for fech's sake do i really have to explain every little comment i make, of course i dont hate any game, i "Hate" diablo, does that mean i want to kill all of the lads at blizzard, does that mean i want to find every copy of the game and burn it?

No, i mean hate the exact same way your average person "hates" Britney Spears or Celine Dion, they suck big sweaty donkey balls, i doubt anyone really wishes nothing but misery for those people, noone means hate literally most of the time, did i really have to explain that to you. :roll:

These are my feelings on NWN, since i clearly have to make a mile long post to explain what i mean when i say i almost, but cant quite "Hate" it.

1: As you said the fawning over the graphics was pathethic, while the graphics werent really that bad some of the reviewers (both in print and online) made it out to be the most beautifull game imaginable, fair enough, if for some reason your eyelids were glued shut from the end of BG2 until the release of NWN it would be perfectly understandable to heap praise on the game for its graphics, otherwise you would have to be a crack addict to hail it as a beautifull game.

"Decent enough" is how i would describe the graphics.

(maybe a 6 or a 7 out of ten.)

2:The story: The original campaign was for the most part a yawnfest, dont get me wrong i got my moneysworth out of it, but it really was a pretty bad showing, one thing that really annoyed me was the fact that i was expected to be all pally-pally with lord Nasher after he killed whats-his name for helping that guy, despite the fact lord Nasher could be held just as responsible for allowing that guy into the inner circle.
(As you can see it was so iffy that i cant even remember the names of most of the characters. :lol: )

3: The ending........shit.

4: The combat and so on doesnt really bother me, so "meh" pretty much summarises my feelings on that.

Worst of all was the fact that some of the most mediocre modules out there were superior to the OC, and then came the add-on packs, which i loved btw, in fact the add-ons should have been installed over the OC to cover up its shamefull blandness.

So an OK game, while i dont feel like going on a crusade against Bioware (and no, im not accusing you of that :P ) i must admit that most of the problems people have with the game are valid, at least the ones dealing with the OC and the Tileset, in fact that was probably the biggest mistake they made with the game, they tried to do too many things, the editor was meant to be easy to use, and it was, unfortunetley in making it so easy to use they cut away a lot of the little details that helps bring a world to life.

Ohh, and those fucking savegames, as a line in one of my favourite comedy films puts it "THATS A HUUUUUGE BITCH!" :)

Stark

Liturgist
actually only my first sentence was directed to you. the paragraph that follows are just some random rambling from me directed to no one in particular. oh well, maybe i should have added a smiley or something to lessen the sting.... but i thought smileys are so ghey....

Saran

Scholar
Stark said:
actually only my first sentence was directed to you. the paragraph that follows are just some random rambling from me directed to no one in particular. oh well, maybe i should have added a smiley or something to lessen the sting.... but i thought smileys are so ghey....

I know, thats why i explained exactly what i meant by "Hate", your right, its silly to hate a game and i dont, if you were to ask me how i felt about Diablo in real life i would say i hate it, but by that i mean "Its a boring piece of shit, i cant stand games who's sole point is to dungeon crawl, i have better things to do than work my way threw level after level of undead only to get a shitty FMV at the end, thats i why i wouldnt touch most MMORPGS with somebody elses ten foot stick."

So as you can see saying that i hate something often ends up saving a hell of a lot of time.

As for smilies, yes, i know what you mean, but id rather look like an AOL'er and get my meaning across clearly, than a raving lunatic that gets pissed off at the slightest comment, which is a problem when you have a sense of humour like mine.

Fag. :P :lol:

See how that works, i dont have to worry about you thinking im a prick, crazy yes, but a prick no. :lol:

raublekick

Novice
hey dudes, i'm one of the other admins/owners of good-evil. just wanted to say that out reviews are more of a "blog" sorta deal. we just play games and comment on them. we don't get free games from companies, we buy them. we aren't proffessional, we're just gamers. the purpose of our site is to be a learning experience for ourselves, learning new web design techniques, etc. the reviews are just the content we use. we're not trying to be the next GameSpot or IGN or anything.

and for the record, i think NWN is crap :wink:

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Rereading this thread, I just remember something else to complain about the OC. I first ran accross this trying to return somebodies dead brother's staff to him, and get a reward. Asking for money upfront made me evil, and since I was playing a GOOD character I didn't want that hit. So, I ended up just giving it to him for free, and then he turns around and gives me the exact amount of money I would have gotten had a been a jerk about it. A lot of the quests then proceeded to reward you in that manner. So, basically being evil rarely (though not always) got you any more money than be a goodie two shoes. Plus, whats with all the quest givers giving all the gold they had on them. Ask for money and they can only give you a piece of ironwood or a diamond. Yeah, the OC is really a low point in CRPGs. The only redeeming value it might have is as a tech demo for modders.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
A. I find it hialrious that for a game you think is crappy you sure remember itma dn discuss it LOTS.

b. You seem to have selective memory when it comes to that quest.

Next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom