Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Good-Evil reviews KOTOR 2 (and other games too!)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://www.good-evil.net>Good-Evil.net</a> has posted a short <a href=http://www.good-evil.net/reviews/games/starwarskotor2.htm>review</a> of <a href=http://www.kotor2.com/>KOTOR 2</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote> The character development is also shallower than the original KOTOR. It seems that people join out of the blue and the depths of the characters’ backgrounds are absent. Only a few characters have deep background stories, but in the first KOTOR all characters had elaborate stories and good reasons for joining your cause.</blockquote>Well, needless to say, such a thoughtful analysis has motivated me to check other reviews:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><a href=http://www.good-evil.net/reviews/games/neverwinternights.htm>NWN review</a>:
<br>
The game has great visuals and sound, and the story is deep and compelling. Any fan of RPG's will love this game. Any fan of D&D will also love this game, because it's so closely made by D&D rules that you feel like you're playing it... without all the dice and sutff. The game is great, you can choose to be good or evil, you can choose your race, you can choose your class, you can choose how you do a mission or even if you do it. It's a great game and I'm very anxious for NeverWinter Nights 2.</blockquote>BEST NWN REVIEW EVAR!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><a href=http://www.good-evil.net/reviews/games/fallout.htm>Fallout review</a>
<br>
Fallout is the complete gaming experience. A fantastic story, nice visuals, fun, engaging combat, easy controls, great replay value, and tons of customization make Fallout one of the best games I have ever played. If you like Diablo or RPGs in general, Fallout will blow your mind.</blockquote>Yep. That's what Fallout reminded me of - Diablo. I'm surprised I didn't figure that out before.
<br>
<br>
<br>

anonymous21

Novice
Do reviewers like that have any idea of how stupid they are? Or are they ignorant in addition to being morons?

I don't understand how someone can honestly compare Fallout to Diablo. I just don't see it.

So many pointless video game sites...

obediah

Erudite
So The NWN review was written by a different guy - the Fallout review was actually of reasonable quality up until that last little bit. It sounds like he finished the game or at least read a complete spoiler - that's better than about half the sites. The author "Chuck" doesn't seem to be a bigwig on the site, so maybe they just hand all the games with reading off to him and then use diablo to tie the review back to their core audience.

Besides the science of game reviewing peaked in 1999 with http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/727.html.

Fez

Erudite
Remember folks, you do not need to pass any tests or obtain a licence to voice your opinions on a website. You can expect the same crap from a reviewer as you can from the average Joe in the street.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The part about playing NWN feeling like D&D without the dice is pretty damned funny considering NWN just seemed like a bunch of meaningless dungeons that were mindlessly filled with monsters that make little sense.

I did not play the same NWN that the reviewer did apparently. How can one be evil in that game anyway?

Putting Diablo in the same sentence as Fallout is blashphemy! [IMHO]

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"How can one be evil in that game anyway?"

Welcome to the baords, Mr. Stupid.

And, oh btw, go play NWN. You obviously haven't yet.

Moron.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Huh? Who said NWN was the only game that allowed that? I surely didn't, and this review - while lacking big time - didn't either. :roll:

Fez

Erudite
Sometimes it's fun to just read the last post in a thread and guess what it was about when you reply. Lots of other people agree with me, it seems.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
it seems theres no actual criteria other than landing a job at some review site in order to qualify as a "professional reviewer". or atleast thats what it seems based on this review.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I should start my review site. I would win. I don't know what exactly I'd win; but I'd win soemthing. Even if I had to create 'Volournian awards' in order to win; I would win.

Muahaha..

Perhaps I'd call it: Volournia - Master of My Reviews

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
I should start my review site. I would win. I don't know what exactly I'd win; but I'd win soemthing. Even if I had to create 'Volournian awards' in order to win; I would win.

Muahaha..

Perhaps I'd call it: Volournia - Master of My Reviews

Keep dreaming, Ted.

Keep dreaming.

Volourn said:
"How can one be evil in that game anyway?"

Welcome to the baords, Mr. Stupid.

And, oh btw, go play NWN. You obviously haven't yet.

Moron.

Thanks for the welcome Volourn and i have finished NWN. The OC itself was horrific. If the game allowed me to be evil, i must have missed it. Care for any examples? [Unless you are speaking of alignment, which ironically what the reviewer was talking about].

Bad first post

Pegultagol

Erudite
I can recall that the PC can
(spoiler below)

kill the fallen paladin Aribeth after subduing her, which is considered evil.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Then maybe they should have written it like
Some stupid reviwer said:
NWN is so great, you can choose race, you can choose party members, you can choose what items to pick or even (!!!!) not to pick up. Plus, the game offers unique possibility to kill the fallen paladin Aribeth after subduing her, which is considered evil.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
If you like Diablo or RPGs in general, Fallout will blow your mind.

Actually, that sounds pretty accurate to me. Anyone who thinks they got a deep Role playing experience from Diablo will have their minds explode when they play Fallout.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Deemer of Suffering said:
If the game allowed me to be evil, i must have missed it. Care for any examples?
There were a ton of ways to be evil in the game, often through dialogue. Here's another sidequest: In the game's first chapter, when you get the quest from with Oleff in the Temple of Tyr to find Never's artifacts, you can go to the Moonstone Mask and talk to someone named Gillet on the first floor. He's evil and wants the artifacts for his own purposes. Giving the artifacts to him instead of Oleff is evil.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
PennyAnte said:
There were a ton of ways to be evil in the game, often through dialogue.

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. The NWN good-evil options, though present, were in any great abudance. Furthermore, when the game primarily a dungeon crawler, what does good and evil have to do with emptying your 30th cave of giant spiders? Most of those dialogue options just gave your character a chance to "roleplay", without actually having any effect on the gameplay. Now, what really disappointed me was the lack of Lawful or Chaotic ways to roleplay, for the most part. Especially after seeing those features so well implemented in Planescape: Torment.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Deemer of Suffering said:
I did not play the same NWN that the reviewer did apparently. How can one be evil in that game anyway?

You do the same thing as the good guy, only you ask for money. That's EVIL.

Because after wading knee deep in the blood of your enemies to retrieve some guys favourite soup spoon its *evil* to ask for some cash to cover the dry cleaning.

Fez

Erudite
You've got to hope you happen to wander on some rich bad guys*, and there is no one who wants the money back, or worthy causes which need funding.

*That or wolves who carry pocket change or gold bars in the middle of a forest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom