Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Old Games is dead

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Horrible stuff. Journeys abroad have taught me not to be ashamed to be a Pole because lots of people and places in the West are quite horrible in comparison to what I experience here on a daily basis, but these guys put the shame back. As a Pole, I sincerely apologise :-(

Ausir

Arcane
The whole stunt was crazy and silly, sure, but it could justbe crazy enough for it to work. Just look at the amount of buzz they generated.

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
Nahh, that was so shitty it was actually cute, like a high-school video project. A little surprising in this context, but sort of adorable nonetheless.

And I've always enjoyed Poles (we've got lots here) for some reason, never understood why people seem to have issues with 'em.

Zeus

Cipher
Reconite said:
phanboy_iv said:
On one hand I'm angry. :x

On the other I'm fucking glad. :thumbsup:

Yeah. It was kind of a wakeup call for me. My GOG wishlist was huge, but I'd only bought a single title. They have stuff (like a DRM-free version of Darkstar One) which I just can't buy anywhere else.

I tried buying Master of Orion I & II from Impulse, right? They barely run on my system. I'm going to have to copy the files over and configure DOSBox myself. For freakin' Master of Orion 1! I feel like writing their support team and telling them to buy GOG's version of MOO and study the .conf file for a lesson in how to do DOSBox right.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ausir said:
The whole stunt was crazy and silly, sure, but it could justbe crazy enough for it to work. Just look at the amount of buzz they generated.

That's the kind of thinking one would expect from EA BioWare. It doesn't surprise me CDP is no better, but it might surprise some users who had more, I dunno, faith in them.

Showing no real contrition about their PR marketing bullshit is probably a bad move.

Ausir

Arcane
They've been doing similar stunts in Poland in the past for years, so I'm not really surprised.

Silellak

Cipher
Brother None said:
Ausir said:

That's the kind of thinking one would expect from EA BioWare. It doesn't surprise me CDP is no better, but it might surprise some users who had more, I dunno, faith in them.

Showing no real contrition about their PR marketing bullshit is probably a bad move.
CDP's marketing has always been fucking awful. Remember some of the buzzwords they used to describe the 4th or 5th re-release of The Witcher? It'd be enough to make even the most cocky EA or Activision exec blush.

"THE MOST PERFECTEST VIDEO GAME IN HISTORY JUST GOT MORE PERFECTER!!!!!!!!!!"

And this is coming from someone whose first posts here were defending the Enhanced Edition.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ausir said:
They've been doing similar stunts in Poland in the past for years, so I'm not really surprised.

Well they might have considered not all of the world is populated by drunken halfwits, unlike Poland, kurwa.

/NotoriousRacistAgainstPoles

Silly said:
CDP's marketing has always been fucking awful. Remember some of the buzzwords they used to describe the 4th or 5th re-release of The Witcher? It'd be enough to make even the most cocky EA or Activision exec blush.

"THE MOST PERFECTEST VIDEO GAME IN HISTORY JUST GOT MORE PERFECTER!!!!!!!!!!"

Pretty much this yeah. But people clung to them as a last vestige of honest game-developing because...well...you gotta believe someone out there isn't just about money-grubbing.

CDP isn't particularly more honest than, say, ZeniMax, they're just a lot less competent at PR.

Well Tom Ohle's pretty good, solid and professional, but otherwise...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The broken English, general goofiness and amateurishness in that video made me laugh (in the positive way).

Elwro

Arcane
Ausir said:
Really? I only remember the full-page ads for "the death of our cheap series", which were evident stunts. I don't remember anything comparable to this.

Tails

Arbiter
Zeus said:
I tried buying Master of Orion I & II from Impulse, right? They barely run on my system. I'm going to have to copy the files over and configure DOSBox myself. For freakin' Master of Orion 1! I feel like writing their support team and telling them to buy GOG's version of MOO and study the .conf file for a lesson in how to do DOSBox right.
Still, the configurations GoG makes for DosDox games like DN3D, Blood or RR are pretty awful though. Especially in case of Blood.

Elwro

Arcane
Yeah. Regarding DN3D, I remember buying it from GoG (to have the content) and then using eduke32 a year ago, which worked flawlessly (I built it in Linux but it is multiplatform).

For RR, though, there is no similar solution I know of.

Zeus

Cipher
Tails said:
Zeus said:
Still, the configurations GoG makes for DosDox games like DN3D, Blood or RR are pretty awful though. Especially in case of Blood.

Yeah, I mean, if you ask me, they should all have configurable configurations. A GOG Launcher, a front end (for the individual game--nothing to do with DRM) where you can say, "I have an old computer, I have a fast computer, here's the resolution I want," etc. Something like D-Fend Reloaded.

I draw the line at manually editing .conf files if I have to pay money.

As it stands, both Impulse and GOG are trying to come up with a one-size-fits-all DOSBox conf. And while GOG is better at it (GOG's Fallout runs perfectly, Impulse's MOO runs like crap), it's not a perfect solution.

Tails

Arbiter
Zeus said:
Yeah, I mean, if you ask me, they should all have configurable configurations. A GOG Launcher, a front end (for the individual game--nothing to do with DRM) where you can say, "I have an old computer, I have a fast computer, here's the resolution I want," etc. Something like D-Fend Reloaded.
Indeed, but the best solution Imho would be if GoG just tried to get source codes from Publishers for games like Blood or RR. Creating something like Elwro mentioned, eduke32 for community would be just matter of time.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Tails said:
Build games are notoriously difficult to configure. Duke's the easiest actually, and anyway both Duke and Shadow Warrior have very nice Windows ports. Blood and RR are a fucking nightmare to get running properly in DOSBox ("properly" being in Glide mode and at high resolution, respectively).

Tails said:
Indeed, but the best solution Imho would be if GoG just tried to get source codes from Publishers for games like Blood or RR.
What publisher is going to have the source code for a 13-year-old game?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sceptic said:
What publisher is going to have the source code for a 13-year-old game?

Interplay still has the Fallout source code. Somewhere. In a box.

Can't release without Bethesda's permission.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I heard Polish people rode horses against German tanks in WWII and that's why Poles get such a hard time. :x

Pegultagol

Erudite
Well the Poles pulled a fast one against us lot of uncouth hordes. Their stunts or PR have some sort of direct mindedness or awkward earnestness to them.

Anyways, hopefully they would not have to delve into this trickery to generate attention anymore, wish much success to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom