Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Gotdamit]Promising RPG's that died in birth...

Starwars

Arcane
Purgatorio is not in beta as far as I know, however building is going full steam ahead. Monty mentioned on the NWN2 chat room last week that he was downloading the latest build, and the new lead guy recently said that they're gonna aim to get the mod out around the time when SoZ is released to take advantage of the likely increased interest in NWN2. People are also at work at tilesets and prestige classes (I've talked with them in the NWN chat channel).
They also updated the website and said they're gonna update it more frequently: http://www.roguedao.com/

There was also an interview made last month I think, and an area was uploaded as a prefab to the Vault today.

No idea if it'll be truly out around SoZ or not, but it most certainly is not dead.

Depressinator

Novice
plansescape:vengeance mod. Deader than dead due to a HDD failure, supposedly it was in alpha.

Keldryn

Arcane
TORN did sound great on paper, but it was not coming along well at all. I got to play it for about 15 minutes at E3 2001, and it really wasn't in a state where it should have been shown externally. All there was to it was a brief character creation part and then a dungeon where you fought monsters in real-time. There was no dialogue, no quests, nothing. Dave Maldonado was a great guy, and I probably talked to him about the game and his ideas for a good hour before one of the Interplay booth reps politely told me I was taking up too much of their developers' time.

TORN definitely had some potential, but I don't think it would have been realized given what Interplay went through over the course of the next 3-4 years.

I don't think anyone has mentioned The Lady, The Mage, and The Knight yet. I think that Larian Studios took what wasn't part of that IP and turned it into the horribly named Divine Divinity.

Let us not forget Ultima IX, as it was previewed around 1996, and Origin's "Arthurian Legends" game, which I believe was to have used the Ultima VII/Serpent Isle engine.

EDIT: I forgot about Mean Time, a proposed pseudo-but-not-really-sequel from the Wasteland team. I believe that Dragon Wars was also intended to be a series, but never went beyond the first (fantastic) game.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Dark Individual said:
larpingdude14 said:
Relayer71 said:
Great looking screenshot. Remind me, why is Fallout 3 in 1st person 3D?

No, it's ugly, take off your nostalgia goggles dumbass.

I agree with the alt. I've seen better 2D and so have you.

Well sure, but I'd prefer Fallout 3 in THAT engine than in 1st person!

Plus, look at the detail in that character's boots! And look at the items against the wall on the right CASTING SHADOWS!. Nifty :lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Watched that Purgatorio trailer and while voice-overs smell of amateur - the level design is just zomg. Some places really remind me of how good the design was in PS:T. I've noticed the messed up world there (Githzerai plane?) and a mechanic world (Mechanicus?) - if they are what I think it's even better.
The music is also very good. Guess I will add it too my wanted list and I hope it will be better than most pro-games.

Shoelip

Arbiter
It looked a little too stable to be Limbo, but I'll blame that on the limitations of the engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom