Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gothic 3 Review

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Works fine for Whippo and me on 1024x768 on...

1024 DDR RAM, CL 2
Athlon 64 3400+ (754)
Radeon 9600 SE

Oh yeah, and medium details, but far view distances. Takes a bit of loading-stutter sometimes, but very rarely.

Maybe you should disable tree shadows in the .ini, and increase cache sizes. Also, your virtual memory in windows should be set to 2048, no more, no less. I get flawless loading times in Bloodlines and good Gothic 3 performance (20 - 30 FPS are good for me).

This is what SmokeyBones at WorldOfGothic.com thinks of your review, VD. I posted it there and titled the the thread "Best Gothic 3 Review". Now I now this guy is probably a GuRmiN FaNbOi lol, but some reason i found it interesting even though the guy doesn't know how to space paragraphs.

"Is it the best review because you agree with it or because it covers all the elements fairly and completely so that you know what you are getting when you buy the game? I really want to like Gothic 3 but find it difficult because I found Gothic 2 so completely engaging. There are many deficiencies in G3 that, though small, detract from the playing experience. The larger issues are minimzed or glossed over. In this, the reviewer misses an important opportunity to inform. The reviewer is absolutely right about the open-ended nature of the game and the choices you can make. But, why is it so easy to wipe out entire Orc towns in seconds? In G2, orcs were tough and fun to fight. Dragons were massive, etc., etc. This does not demean the effort PB has made but showcases where they could have made better choices to bring open-endedness AND great scale, graphics, etc. This does not free other reviewers from missing the good qualities of G3 and focusing only on the bad elements. Rather, it shows that you need to decide for yourself (by playing the demo) who has it right or if you should ignore all of them and get down to some additional Gothic fun."

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh, I wanna play! A few comments from our very own tetsuo:

but if you read the comments over there you'll quickly notice that the amis are a little simpler than outselves after all.
That from a guy who can't even speak German as well as VD speaks English.

They praise the game exactly because it's 80% pointless combat in their opinion.

It's obvious that tetsuo is illiterate. Oh, and he closed with "they are only amis after all" too.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Okay punks who've played it, what's the dealio:

- How easy are Orcs to kill, in comparison with G2?

- How easy overall is the game?

- How quickly do you become uber (considering it seems they've Oblivioned the skill system)?

And how much difference does the difficulty level make - can we get back to G2 NOTR goodness by putting it on supa-hard?

Twinfalls said:
- How easy are Orcs to kill, in comparison with G2?

Very easy, i beat an Orc Warrior at lvl 1 with my BARE HANDS.

Twinfalls said:
- How easy overall is the game?

Easier than Gothic 1 and 2. The game itself is easy enough provided you have any common sense.

Twinfalls said:
- How quickly do you become uber (considering it seems they've Oblivioned the skill system)?

Read VD's review.

Twinfalls said:
And how much difference does the difficulty level make - can we get back to G2 NOTR goodness by putting it on supa-hard?

Have not adjusted the difficulty yet.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Very easy, i beat an Orc Warrior at lvl 1 with my BARE HANDS.
That's an exploit. Unarmed combat is a) very fast and b) unblockable. I guess the review could've emphasized how horribly unpolished, unbalanced and simply unfinished the game is.

Claw said:
That's an exploit. Unarmed combat is a) very fast and b) unblockable. I guess the review could've emphasized how horribly unpolished, unbalanced and simply unfinished the game is.

Thank you claw, hopefully a future patch will address this issue.

Still, though, I beat an Orc Elite at level 1 with my starting sword. I would still have to say easier than the first 2 games.

Ladonna

Arcane
Goblins are actually harder than orcs now....

Basically, all Humanoids (Not counting gobbos until you learn that one power attack, well timed, will bring them down) are terribly weak. Except Magic users, who are very very hard to take down (Especially undead ones).

Fighting an enemy is easiest when done uphill. Fighting an enemy downhill gives an advantage of reach to your opponent.

Ladonna said:
Fighting an enemy is easiest when done uphill. Fighting an enemy downhill gives an advantage of reach to your opponent.

Which is retarded. They should have considered some sort of terrain/ gravity advantage instead of a height/hit location ratio. All they have to do is keep attacking your feet while you have strain yourself aiming down and making timing more difficult. Oh well.

Ladonna

Arcane
It is indeed retarded. These people made a brilliant but flawed game, and forgot to play the thing before shipping it.

With a game like this, they should have taken at least another year in development. Not to add things, just to clean the thing up and optimise it.

I can forgive these things to a degree because of the fun I am having. But Its possibly getting worse than its ever been. Both of the games I have been looking forward to this year (Gothic 3 and MTW2) are flawed out of the box, and one of them is a retread of RTW.

From what I have heard, NWN2 is buggy and flawed as well. I think the last game I played that was in a condition I would consider 'finished' was GTA San Andreas.

So, I am playing a flawed but completable Gothic 3, and a MTW2 that is too screwed in combat (AI SUCKS) to be worth my time as yet. I love PC gaming.

elander_

Arbiter
This is why the review gave 80% score to the game and not 90% or more. Gothic 3 has its flaws. Some reviewers judge a game just on the fun factor. You can kill an orc at level 1 but it is fun ? Then whats the problem ?

Nobody complain about enemies in Oblivion leveling up towards the player and having robers using Daedric armor at level 20 so why complain that the difficulty level for foes in G3 is not as realistic as they wanted?

Ladonna

Arcane
Elander_: I have NO idea why Oblivion got its cock sucked until surely its balls were inside out....Its been a mystery to me since day one. Luckily, I avoided it in spite of the review horde (Not to mention my hatred of all things Elder Scrolls).

However, my point is that I am getting sick of unfinished games. It is now becoming a joke, no, more than a joke. If I was a newbie to PC games, I could have a plethora of new games at my fingertips now, all patched up.

Im not. Hence I tend to buy a game that I would like when it comes out. And now its every fucking game thats shite right out of the box.

Either its shite as in Oblivion boring shite, or shite as in Gothic 3 shite (where I heeded the wise words here and quickly bought a new Video card and more RAM, put in tweaks, use some saving mod from a user until 1.09 came out).

I can only imagine the pain a newbie without a super computer would face trying to play G3. I can sit here smugly with my knowledge of doing this stuff (tweaks, etc) without having to have a supercomputer, but a newb....fucked baby, fucked.

As mentioned, I still love G3. Just sick of unfinished games.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Just read the whole review. Interesting read. Although the last note at the end kind of deflated my interest. Being isolated from anything to do with computers other than how to use Microsoft Word Processer kind of left me in the dust for hardware savvy... :(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not true. Every console has 98% shit and 2% good games.

Silent Hill?
Zelda: OoT?
Earthbound?
Ikaruga?

You can't honestly tell me those were bad games. Consoles have /gems/, you just have to find them.

Also,[Super] Metroid (Prime), and a lot of other stuff. Those games have /exceptional/ gameplay. But if you're only into strategy and RPGs you're still better off without a console.

Ladonna

Arcane
If a person doesn't like them, they are shit. I dislike/don't know of, the games you mentioned, sorry :wink: And I am not going to buy a console/go though hours of attempting to find a 'copy' and run it on my PC to find out.

I do agree that there would no doubt be some games on a console that I enjoyed, but for the life of me, I couldn't be bothered trying to find them.

Almost all of the game types I enjoy have either never been created for consoles, or cannot be on a console. I also dislike the controllers for anything other than fighting games like Tekken.

Jasede said:
Consoles have /gems/, you just have to find them.

Resident Evil 2. Such fun I had indeed all those years ago. Beat the game in 1:30 time. No saving, no health sprays.

whatusername

Scholar
I'm also wondering that too. The last time I played it [with the v1.01 patch], I tried holding the right mouse button, then left click. It still didn't work.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I definitely need to know. I've 'killed' the same orc at least a dozen times. And, it keeps popping up with an identical wepaon I took from him.. right in front of me. R00fles! All the while his still hostile buddies are atking shots of me.. I wasted tons of potions there until eventually i just said whatever and let them kill me. LOL And, I need them dead to help the rebels. Unconcious is NOT good enough!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom