Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic I, worth it?

bhlaab

Erudite
Gnidrologist said:
Not enough skill points? I always have some 60-80 unused LPs by the very end of the game, even when playing the mage, who is the most LP consuming type in the game.
Only way see there might no be enough Xp is if you don't thoroughly explore the game and just go from one story critical quest to the next, which isn't the way Gothic games to be played.

Yeah, by the end of the game. It's at the beginning where you're thrown into brick walls left and right, and I went through trying to complete every single quest I could find.

I found that with my LP setting NotR had a similar difficulty curve to G1.

Zomg

Arbiter
The thing is you don't really have to be able to do much to advance the plot, I think you aren't plot-expected to be able to solo stuff with Orc-level armor until like Chapter 3 or so (in fact Chapter 2 is much more fun if you can't, which is how I played the non-NotR G2 at release). Plus you can use the stat potions and things as you find them - you just won't be able to shithammer the boss fights quite as trivially without saving a scroll or two of Summon Demon.

DefJam101

Arcane
Reached the G1 minecrawler queen yesterday after clearing the Old Mine with a bone bow and two +5 dex rings. Unable to damage her. :oops:

Looks like I need to finally toss some points into strength or dexterity...

Murk

Arcane
You gotta put out at least 70+ damage to melee her or 60+ to arrow her.

And you need at least 9 inches to please her :smug:

bhlaab

Erudite
DefJam101 said:
Reached the G1 minecrawler queen yesterday after clearing the Old Mine with a bone bow and two +5 dex rings. Unable to damage her. :oops:

Looks like I need to finally toss some points into strength or dexterity...

You can keep trying, you might be able to damage her with crits.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yep, I couldn't damage the queen with regular attacks either, but criticals did a minuscule amount of damage. With a two handed weapon you can reach far enough to hit her and not get hit back. Takes a good 5 minutes of whacking to kill her that way, though.

bhlaab

Erudite
deuxhero said:
So I guess there is no mouse look mod? Only system shock's fanbase is able to do that?

The mouselook mod in Gothic 1 is enabling the mouse in the options menu.

Murk

Arcane
Yep, pretty much. I just convert the 'action' key to be the left mouse button and shit's pretty simple to do, really...

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Mouse works for scrolling and clicking, but doesn't have a cursor to hover over menus. Just like in G2. As for mouselook, both games have it, what are you talking about (ok, my memory about G1 is a bit sketchy)?

deuxhero

Arcane
Ok, thought it lacked mouse look from reading this topic (was think of getting the 2nd game and possibly the first at some point)

MisterStone

Arcane
Mouselook works just fine in G1; in fact it's probably why I get my ass kicked in melee all the time, since I'd rotate faster w/keyboard controlz.

MisterStone

Arcane
I was wondering, how much mana would you say is necessary to get at least some use out of magic? I got the perma bonus mana potion from the fire mage as a reward, and I trained mana once, so I have 15 mana. Only first circle right now. Is this enough mana to at least play around with at this stage? (just began Chap. 2)

MisterStone

Arcane
Lol I just found out that I can walk up to almsot any Templar, beat his ass down in 5 seconds and steal his sweet 2h sword. The question is, is there any reason I should not do this now that I am a sect novice? I'm supposed to be on the same team as these dudes.

Also, the trainers won't teach me 2H weapon skill... do I need to be a second-tier guild member (Templar) to learn this skill?

Murk

Arcane
The only way to learn 2-H before mastering 1-H is to be a mercenary, otherwise you have to master 1-H before they teach you 2-H.

15 Mana is not enough for a grand-mage type character but if you're JUST a novice then you're probably fine for now. But keep this in mind: mana in this game is replenished by items and by resting. If you only use items to replenish mana then it doesn't matter what your mana total is as you never get more "bang for your buck" other than how many spells you can cast at once (still a big deal if all you can do is lob 3 fireballs). If however you do a lot of healing by resting, then you get free mana restored so in that case a bigger mana total = more free mana to use.

bhlaab

Erudite
If you're playing a dedicated mage you'll want hella manas.

As a warrior/mage you'll want somewhere around 30-50-ish? Enough to cast storm of fire (10) a couple times before you run out.

You'll have a ton of mana potions by the end of the game anyway.

Murk

Arcane
Rain of Fire? That's 15 mana per casting. It is also the most expensive spell to cast and does 150 damage per casting.

I'd say 50 is a decent "early mage" level of mana to have - it'll let you shoot 10 fireballs which should be enough for most basic enemies.

I gotta say though, if you joined the Cult you wont get access to Circle 5 and 6 runes which include Rain of Fire, Breath of Death, Wave of Ice, and Uriziel's Wave of Death. Those are effectively the spells that make armies die, but you'll still get some solid stuff to blast around.

Try not to rely on the Wind Fist and Storm Fist spells much though, they're pretty shit compared to the fire or water spells.

bhlaab

Erudite
No, Storm of Fire. The best spell. Rain of Fire kind of stinks.

Fireballs are actually worthless, don't bother with them. Long cast time, not a whole lot of damage. Keep the pissy little starter fire spell for taking out crappy enemies, use Storm of Fire for major crowd control (it's area of effect)

MisterStone

Arcane
SO the manual tells me there are spells like berserk, charm, mind control, etc. but I don't think I saw them for sale. Are they actually in the game? (the manual is shit)

Murk

Arcane
bhlaab said:
No, Storm of Fire. The best spell. Rain of Fire kind of stinks.

Fireballs are actually worthless, don't bother with them. Long cast time, not a whole lot of damage. Keep the pissy little starter fire spell for taking out crappy enemies, use Storm of Fire for major crowd control (it's area of effect)

Blah, I kept thinking "fire storm" from G2 and didn't realize the names were changed between the two games. Fireball is circle 3, Storm of Fire is circle 4, otherwise you're right though - storm of fire gives way better damage per mana output.

Misterstone - list of runes in the game: http://www.worldofgothic.com/gothic/?go=g1magie

All the 'manipulation' spells (not direct damage) are basically nature (brotherhood) spells, so you'll probably be able to get them more easily from the Gurus as you advance through the chapters. I never played as a Sect Mage so I can't truly comment. Only time I went mage was as a Water Mage.

DefJam101

Arcane
Trained acrobatics; am superhero.

Bumped strength up to 40, equipped new mace and killed minecrawler queen. Leaving 10 LP aside so I can train lockpicking 2 next level. This game is hella fun. :M

Zomg

Arbiter
I wish more map exploration games would give you goofy acrobatic flea-jumping powers, I probably would have played several fewer hours of Morrowind if I hadn't made some enchanted belt of +a large amount of jump and I think some feather fall.

DefJam101

Arcane
Combat diverolling over knee-high rock wall into a flock of scavengers and I feel like John McClane

Decided against lockpicking 2, trained magic up instead. What's the level requirement for templar?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom