Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic I, worth it?

Zlaja

Arcane

*Start -> Programs -> utorrent*
*Add torrent -> Gothic I.torrent*
*1 Mb/s -> time remaining 13 mins 24 sek*

haughty.png

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because supporting Piranha Bytes is evil. You'd rather buy Arcania Gothic Tale

TsongaKralj

Novice
Mikayel said:
I found two handed swords to just be more fun, tbh, and since I often joined the mercenaries I never wasted skill points on 1-handed weapons.

Sure,it can be cool to wield giant swords/axes but IMO considering how expensive the skill is(in Gothic 1) 2h weapons should be plain just better than 1h,not roughly equal or worse considering advantages and faults on each side.

Mikayel said:
Also, if you get into the castle inner courtyard of the old camp you can steal a rusty two hander that is a pretty righteous two-handed weapon, above any other in the first chapter (and even later), and has great range. Does a lot of damage too.

Yeah,it's a decent staring 2h sword.Although you can just as easily knock out templars and take their swords at that point anyway.Their swords while not having as much as damage as 2h axes some of those mercs wield in New Camp have considerable more reach.

Mikayel said:
In G2 I found two-handed weapons to be much worse for one reason mainly, there is a small split-second lag when you "jump back" that you don't have with one-handed weapons that alone can be the difference of being able to defeat a dragon-snapper or not. Actually it is helpful for many monsters but dragon-snappers are the most dangerous so eh.

LOL Those dragon snappers are one very,very nasty fucks.I know exactly what you mean,getting a step back and then swinging left right is the best way to deal with enemies like snappers who charge very fast towards you and yes with a 2 hander there's that one pause longer before you can attack when you jump back.

Keep in mind though that in Gothic 2 two handed weapons have more of a reach advantage than in Gothic 1 so it makes them more useful in that way.

TsongaKralj

Novice
MisterStone said:
Hey, is pickpocketing any good? I figured it might be a good skill for the lulz.

I'm still planning on being a cultist... will this gimp me for the rest of the game, or all the different factions reasonably well-balanced?

Pickpocketing sucks,in the sequel it's an excellent and much more developed skill.

As far as faction and classes go:

Mage-Old camp is the best choice by far if you want to become one as soon as possible.You could also join the New Camp but you'll have to wait much longer.Sect Camp gimps you in the fact that you can only learn up to 4th circle spells which sucks so don't join the loonies.

Archer-if you want to use crossbows as your primary ranged weapon join the Old Camp,if you want to use bows it doesn't make any difference which camp you join.

Melee slugger-New Camp teaches you 2 h without requiring you to waste points into 1h but other than that it doesn't matter.

Stabwound said:
Another dumb question.I joined the Old Camp and am now a guard. I did the old mine quest and killed the minecrawler queen, and Raven told me to do something else, but I was half asleep at the time and it didn't write anything in the journal. Anyone have any idea what you're supposed to do after that part?

Did you bring minecrawler eggs back to Cor Kalom? If you did and the final invocation took place than go and speak to Cor Angar,he'll send you to Orc cemetery and after that on a another fetch quest.

Plot in G1 takes a linear direction once you join any of the camps so Raven is largely irrelevant at this point.

Stabwound

Arcane
Well, I just finished it.

Without spoilers, I'll say that the final dungeon was by far the best in the game, and they really should have done more of that throughout instead of just at the end. The game overall could have done with a lot less backtracking and fetch quests. I also had a pretty substantial number of crashes... probably about 10 times over the course of 20 hours. All in all I'm glad I played it, because I was pretty close to quitting and just skipping ahead to G2.

Terrible ending, though. I imagine it was a sore point when the game was first released. Bizarre ending credits, too.

Anyway, onward to Gothic 2! :salute:

Murk

Arcane
The ending gets retconned pretty heavily, but totally worth it.

You ARE playing with NotR, right? It pumps difficulty up but is worth it for every moment.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Stabwound said:
Well, I just finished it.

Anyway, onward to Gothic 2! :salute:

I remember when I first said that I was about to play NotR, somebody said they envied me. Now I know what it means. I'd like to replay it but after a few years it's still too fresh in my mind (I must have played it sober). It will wreck most games for you after that. Enjoy.

Tails

Arbiter
I have weird issue in Gothic, mainly I'm at the Orc camp and all of them attack me, though Iv'e did the Ulu-Mulu task but overall I don't see it in any item category. Did I miss it somehow or something gone wrong?

dr. one

Augur
Tails said:
I have weird issue in Gothic, mainly I'm at the Orc camp and all of them attack me, though Iv'e did the Ulu-Mulu task but overall I don't see it in any item category. Did I miss it somehow or something gone wrong?

it´s a weapon and you have to equip it.

Tails

Arbiter
dr. one said:
Thanks, though Iv'e ended up in killing all Orcs in the camp after getting sure I don't need any of them to progress :expwhore:

BUT now I have some serious issue, the game crashes with this message

B: VFILE Err-2: Can't find file: _WORK:\DATA\TEXTURES\DESKTOP\ITRW_2H_ORCSTAFF_01.MRM Code: 255
It happens in the room where are three switches, turning two of them summon lesser demons. Oddly enough setting game to Win98/2000 compatibility solved this problem, yet the framerate drop almost to zero. Gohic with it's problem on modern hardware puts Arcanum bugs into shame. Now please someone tell me that there are no such issues with Gothic II.

Stabwound

Arcane
Tails said:
dr. one said:
Thanks, though Iv'e ended up in killing all Orcs in the camp after getting sure I don't need any of them to progress :expwhore:

BUT now I have some serious issue, the game crashes with this message

B: VFILE Err-2: Can't find file: _WORK:\DATA\TEXTURES\DESKTOP\ITRW_2H_ORCSTAFF_01.MRM Code: 255
It happens in the room where are three switches, turning two of them summon lesser demons. Oddly enough setting game to Win98/2000 compatibility solved this problem, yet the framerate drop almost to zero. Gohic with it's problem on modern hardware puts Arcanum bugs into shame. Now please someone tell me that there are no such issues with Gothic II.

I had the same problems. Fixed it by downloading that file and extracting it to the folder it says, but now I can't find the link anymore, of course. There's a badly translated guide how to fix it here: http://tinyurl.com/28cepc8

You'll probably reach a point in the temple where it crashes every single time unless you fix it like that, because I did. You can probably google the error and find the actual file if you want. No idea what causes that.

I remember when I first said that I was about to play NotR, somebody said they envied me. Now I know what it means. I'd like to replay it but after a few years it's still too fresh in my mind (I must have played it sober). It will wreck most games for you after that. Enjoy.

Yeah, I've only played G2 for a few hours and right away it's apparent how much more fleshed out the game and world is compared to the first one. I love how you can walk off a path into the forest and find a hidden cave with an orc warrior guarding a stack of treasure, with skeletons of previous adventurers scattered on the ground, which you'll probably be joining quickly. Gothic 1 had a little bit of that, but the land was so barren that it wasn't really that great. Also, a lot more side-quests and NPC interaction. G2 makes G1 feel like it was a prototype for the sequel, although it was definitely good in its own right, and since the story of G2 picks up right after the end of G1, it'd be a pretty awkward beginning if you didn't play the prequel...

And thank satan that the voice acting is very much improved, especially for the protagonist.

Murk

Arcane
d'awwww this thread makes me want to replay the games, but like it has been said, I still remember everything far too well to actually play it instead of just doing the missions in some efficient order.

Maybe I should try the nomaskian approach and treat the game as some messenger-service simulator.

MisterStone

Arcane
I'm still playing this, but still haven't joined a camp yet. I know what I need to do, I just haven't had the time to devote to the game. Anyways, I was wondering what all this loot I am accruing is good for? Also it seems that high STR is the single most important thing to develop at this point, at what point do I need to stop spending points on it? Perhaps I should get into archery too?

Tails

Arbiter
Stabwound said:
I had the same problems. Fixed it by downloading that file and extracting it to the folder it says, but now I can't find the link anymore, of course. There's a badly translated guide how to fix it here: http://tinyurl.com/28cepc8

You'll probably reach a point in the temple where it crashes every single time unless you fix it like that, because I did. You can probably google the error and find the actual file if you want. No idea what causes that.
Thanks, but I've managed to finish game with just somehow in the end. This bug happen later to me few times, in one place only once, in second it was like Russian roulette.

MisterStone said:
Anyways, I was wondering what all this loot I am accruing is good for? Also it seems that high STR is the single most important thing to develop at this point, at what point do I need to stop spending points on it? Perhaps I should get into archery too?
Depends what kind of weapon You prefer really. Personally I've gone most of the time into STR (max is 100, magic rings won't increase the value above that) )and One-Handed Mastery and then increased Dex and Archery.

catfood

AGAIN
Archery is most definetely worth it. You'll encounter some enemies later in the game that you do NOT want near you (fire lizards come to mind).

Stabwound

Arcane
I wanted to make a warrior/mage, but it seems you don't get nearly enough skill points through normal play to develop both sides. The magic stuff costs a lot of points to reach high levels.

Didn't use archery at all, and it probably would have been more useful than low level magic spells.

TsongaKralj

Novice
Warrior-mage is definitely doable if you don't invest into 2 handed weapon skill.Just master 1h,raise your strength to 70(so you can use the best 1h weapon in the game)and use up the rest for mana boost/circles of magic.

Although I usually focus on crossbows after I beef up STR and master 1h.While crossbow is slower than the bow,it does more damage,best one is available very early in the game(while the best bow only gets available in late chapters)and it has a higher % to score a critical hit.

SoupNazi

Yeah, it's definitely doable, just probably not for someone's first playthrough when you don't fully know how the skills work yet. Unless you have a guide that is.

MisterStone

Arcane
Game is much more fun now that STR is above 50, and I got that 1h axe from Silas in the New Camp that does 55 damage or sth. I can actually kill most dangerous animals without much trouble, and the shadows at the Old Camp go down real quick. I just go into their hut, wait for them to follow me in, yelling at me, then beat them down and get to looting. Yeah, the game does seem to be rather binary in the sense that most things either will just rape you with no chance of you defeating them, or you can knock them down with two hits.

I also joined the loonie camp, I dunno, it just seemed to be more fun, and also it's the strangest of the three. Is it correct that only people in the cult can learn "brotherhood" magic (as the manual calls it, the game seems to use different terminology). Are any of the bruthahood spells useful early on?

Murk

Arcane
Most of the nature/wind spells are 'brotherhood' magic. All mage classes go through the same circles (brotherhood mages cap out at circle 4, other two mages can go up to circle 6) so if you are a water mage and get a guru rune then you can use the spell.

Also, you can use their scrolls.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Armor works like absorption. As long as your dmg doesn't overcome the enemy's absorption (animals are "armored" too ;) )you do hardly any dmg. Which is the reason it seems binary to you. Unless you strike a critical you do your normal weapon dmg. If you crit the stat relevant to your weapon gets added to the dmg. Crits depend on you weapon skill. Crossbows can't crit IIRC. G1 provides enough skill points to become proficient in more than one area.

TsongaKralj

Novice
Crossbows can definitely do critical hits,in fact at master level they have the highest critical % out of all weapons.Yeah G1 does give you plenty of SPs to go around so it's possible to make some combinations.

Murk

Arcane
Shannow said:
Armor works like absorption. As long as your dmg doesn't overcome the enemy's absorption (animals are "armored" too ;) )you do hardly any dmg. Which is the reason it seems binary to you. Unless you strike a critical you do your normal weapon dmg. If you crit the stat relevant to your weapon gets added to the dmg. Crits depend on you weapon skill. Crossbows can't crit IIRC. G1 provides enough skill points to become proficient in more than one area.

That's in Gothic 2, in Gothic 1 its always stat+weapon damage.

MisterStone

Arcane
it's not my fault you're too much of a dumbass to understand the difference between discussing the strategy aspect of a game and "hand holding"

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
"strategy" = tell me how game the system and be a min max faggot?

just enjoy the game you little bell-end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom