Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand MS-DOS gaming General MIDI showdown

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally, my grand General MIDI comparison project is completed! It only took a bit more than a month!

I'm putting a real Roland SC-55 and Yamaha MU80 to the test, along with their softsynth recreations. I've recorded 46 tunes from DOS games on 7 different MIDI modules, resulting in 322 tracks in total! That's a roughly 2 hours 20 minutes long material per module, so at the very least now you have some nice background music to listen to :cool: All MIDI files and recordings in FLAC and MP3 format are downloadable from the Internet Archive (links in the blog post).

So what do you think, which GM module will win the first prize? (hint: it's not the SC-55)

https://blog.johnnovak.net/2023/03/05/grand-ms-dos-gaming-general-midi-showdown/

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Very nice comparisons!
I do get what you are saying about the Yamaha, but I think the fact that most if not all of the composers back then were using the (technically limited but prevalent) SC-55 to compose their music is a mark in the favor of the Roland synth. Using a "better" synth to me seems like upscaling graphics with a filter, etc. It might work fine, it may even be "better" in some cases, but it's not what was intended. Having said that, that's what makes General MIDI so great; it allows the possibility of better technology to come in and just make things better.

schru

Arcane
There's one mistake in your article. Shadow Warrior's music was composed on SC-88, as Lee Jackson, 3D Realms' composer, had that synthesizer since around the time Duke Nukem 3D was released. For instance, the full CD audio version of ‘Grabbag’, which he included on the discs of the Plutonium PAK and Atomic Edition, was rearranged for and recorded on it.

If you listen to the CD tracks from the full version of the game (the MIDI files were only included in the shareware version), they clearly are rendered on SC-88, it's just that they sound a little different probably because Jackson continued to work on them and then applied his mastering technique to the final recordings.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I do get what you are saying about the Yamaha, but I think the fact that most if not all of the composers back then were using the (technically limited but prevalent) SC-55 to compose their music is a mark in the favor of the Roland synth. Using a "better" synth to me seems like upscaling graphics with a filter, etc. It might work fine, it may even be "better" in some cases, but it's not what was intended. Having said that, that's what makes General MIDI so great; it allows the possibility of better technology to come in and just make things better.
I get where you're coming from, but where it's not 100% confirmed the composer indeed used an SC-55, we simply don't know. For really early titles up to about 1993 yes, we can be kind of certain because GM was still new, but things become increasingly fuzzy after that with the proliferation of General MIDI compatible modules.

Take the Discworld example, a game from 1995. I might have been composed on the SC-88 or one of the Yamahas—we just don't know. What is obvious though is that it sounds a lot better on the MU80 and the SC-88. There are more similar examples in the mid-late DOS period.

I usually value authenticity when it comes to graphics, but like you pointed out, the situation with General MIDI is slightly different, and I don't think the graphics upscaling analogy is fair. It's more like getting a new monitor with the same resolution and physical screen size, but more vibrant colours and better blacks.

Admittedly, I stated my Yamaha preference even for titles where it is well-know the music was composed for the SC-55. Well, that's my subjective take on it, and I guess I also wanted to stress that the MU series of modules are very capable alternatives to the SoundCanvas. The SCVA is nice, but if you don't want to pay for it, I'd much rather recommend the "abandonware" S-YXG50 to someone as a SoundCanvas substitute than all those questionable "SC-55 emulation" SoundFonts done by amateurs. No disrespect to them, but you won't be able to improve a sound bank created by a professional synth company such as Yamaha...

In practice, I use a MIDI splitter as you can see on the photo in the article, so I can switch between the MU80 and the SC-55 with the flick of a button on my mixer, and I just pick what I like best. Again, that's my personal take; I've shared all the recordings so everybody can draw their own conclusions.

Where does Gravis Ultrasound fit into all of this?
The GUS can emulate the MT-32 and the SoundCanvas with its UltraMID & MegaEm utilities. It does an acceptable job in supported games (not all are supported), but there's little point in using that now that we have much better options. The samples used by the GUS emulation are not bad, but different. The biggest problem is the lack of chorus and reverb effects on the GUS; that simply robs the music of space and ambience. Definitely not recommended unless you have no other options.

Having said that, I only had a GUS back in the day in my 486 and I was happy with the MegaEm emulation (I haven't even heard of the Sound Canvas then). Some kind of sound beats no sound, no doubt.

Also, don't confuse this with native GUS support in those ~150 games where you can select "Gravis UltraSound" in the sound setup utility. Those games with native support often sound very good on the GUS, although the lack of reverb still stands, so I'd still use the SC-55 / MU80 where I can.

Shadow Warrior's music was composed on SC-88, as Lee Jackson, 3D Realms' composer, had that synthesizer since around the time Duke Nukem 3D was released.
I did read the interview where he mentions that, but as he never explicitly stated to my knowledge that he used the SC-88 for Shadow Warrior, and because I think the SC-55 rendition sounds better, I went with that. But what you're stating sounds compelling enough, so I'll update the article. I still think the drums on the SC-88 sound exceedingly wimpy compared to the SC-55 on those tracks, but whatever; maybe it was intentional.

schru

Arcane
Shadow Warrior's music was composed on SC-88, as Lee Jackson, 3D Realms' composer, had that synthesizer since around the time Duke Nukem 3D was released.
I did read the interview where he mentions that, but as he never explicitly stated to my knowledge that he used the SC-88 for Shadow Warrior, and because I think the SC-55 rendition sounds better, I went with that. But what you're stating sounds compelling enough, so I'll update the article. I still think the drums on the SC-88 sound exceedingly wimpy compared to the SC-55 on those tracks, but whatever; maybe it was intentional.
I can't put together some samples for comparison now, but I think you should be able to determine it yourself by comparing the MIDI files played in the 55 and 88 map modes with the CD tracks from the full game.

As for the synthesizers Lee Jackson had access to: https://dleejackson.lbjackson.com/music/the-history-of-grabbag/

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can't put together some samples for comparison now, but I think you should be able to determine it yourself by comparing the MIDI files played in the 55 and 88 map modes with the CD tracks from the full game.
I'll try that, thanks. If have the full eXoDOS collection here, so don't worry, I can check and compare anything myself.

Admittedly, I'm not an FPS gamer and I'm not familiar with the game. I'll also fix the article today. You seem to be really into the audio side of things, just like myself, so feel free to post any further improvement suggestions.

Ladonna

Arcane
No way. Going through your stuff with the monitors has already made me start searching for another CRT for my early windows machine. I'm not getting sucked down the audio rabbit hole as well. I'm happy with my soundblaster!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Very nice comparisons!
I thought about what you wrote, and I do agree with you in general on what you said. I've expanded the article with the following paragraph just now:

There is another important consideration: using “too high quality” samples (yes, there is such a thing!) to play back General MIDI game music from the 90s in the hope of “improving it” can make it sound a lot worse. It’s a peculiar thing; using too realistic instruments on such music can easily get us into this weird “uncanny valley” territory—the result often sounds like “fake real music” as opposed to “good computer music”, if that makes sense. I am not personally a fan of those “enhanced remasters” of old game soundtracks using modern sythesisers (there are lots of them available for ScummVM games), multi-hundred-megabyte SoundFonts, and while I do own the excellent Serdaco DreamBlaster S2 waveblaster daughterboard, sometimes I really think it sounds too polished for 90s MIDI music. My favourite waveblaster module from Serdaco is actually the QWave that features a modest 512K sample set, but what a sample set that is!

Size alone is not a good indicator of the quality of a sample set. What matters a lot more is the artistry that went into crafting those samples and the instruments that make use of them. And rest assured, the MU-series sample set weighing only 4MB doesn’t lack anything in that regard. While it improves on the SC-55 samples, it still stays true to them and doesn’t diverge too far from the source. I see it as an “improved SC-55-compatible sample set” as opposed to a “high-quality remaster”—but again, that’s my opinion.

schru

Arcane
I'll try that, thanks. If have the full eXoDOS collection here, so don't worry, I can check and compare anything myself.

Admittedly, I'm not an FPS gamer and I'm not familiar with the game. I'll also fix the article today. You seem to be really into the audio side of things, just like myself, so feel free to post any further improvement suggestions.
I haven't had the time to read your article in full yet, but I'll be sure to post if there's anything else.

I don't actually have any experience with the real hardware from the period, I just have some specific knowledge about a few of the games which I like. My interest in this started when I found out about the great disparity between the default settings in DOSBox configurations or soundfonts and what modules like SC-55 were capable of.

Given the topic, I'd like to ask if you have Sound Blaster AWE32 or 64. There are reasons* to believe that the music for Heretic was composed on AWE32, but the recordings available on YouTube show strange crackling in parts with chorus. However, apart from that, the tracks do sound a lot better on it than on SC-55, with the instruments harmonizing much more nicely.

If you have access to one of these cards (64's MIDI module should produce the same result), could you check if the said crackling occurs in the game with the correct music card settings? Also, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, it would be very nice to have a complete set of recordings of the tracks, as I think that even with that problem it just seems like AWE32 gives the best rendition.

* https://www.doomworld.com/forum/top...nd-canvas-music/?tab=comments#comment-1927601

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I haven't had the time to read your article in full yet, but I'll be sure to post if there's anything else.

I don't actually have any experience with the real hardware from the period, I just have some specific knowledge about a few of the games which I like. My interest in this started when I found out about the great disparity between the default settings in DOSBox configurations or soundfonts and what modules like SC-55 were capable of.

Given the topic, I'd like to ask if you have Sound Blaster AWE32 or 64. There are reasons to believe that the music for Heretic was composed on AWE32, but the recordings available on YouTube show strange crackling in parts with chorus. However, apart from that, the tracks do sound a lot better on it than on SC-55, with the instruments harmonizing much more nicely.

If you have access to one of these cards (64's MIDI module should produce the same result), could you check if the said crackling occurs in the game with the correct music card settings? Also, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, it would be very nice to have a complete set of recordings of the tracks, as I think that even with that problem it just seems like AWE32 gives the best rendition.
I do have an AWE32 which I have acquired with the intention of adding accurate AWE32 emulation to DOSBox Staging (better than PCem, but I'll use that as a base, augmented with my own research & reverse-engineering).

I'm not against making a recording of the Heretic soundtrack, but I'll need some help. As I said, I'm not an FPS gamer, and it's very unlikely I'll force myself through the game just to record the music... I assume the level music just keeps playing even when the game is paused (like in Shadow Warrior), so if you send me save files for each level that has different music, I can record all of them (I don't touch "MIDI rips" done by others as I don't trust them and they're all over the place—I only record in-game music, as a general rule, except when I'm 100% certain the alternative way is safe, like with the PX player, and even then I double-check).

Perhaps there are such save files available somewhere already; you could help me save some time and locate them for me. It seems there are 22 tracks in total according to this page, so I'll need 22 save files and then I can record the full OST :)

schru

Arcane

Given the topic, I'd like to ask if you have Sound Blaster AWE32 or 64. There are reasons to believe that the music for Heretic was composed on AWE32, but the recordings available on YouTube show strange crackling in parts with chorus. However, apart from that, the tracks do sound a lot better on it than on SC-55, with the instruments harmonizing much more nicely.

I do have an AWE32 which I have acquired with the intention of adding accurate AWE32 emulation to DOSBox Staging (better than PCem, but I'll use that as a base, augmented with my own research & reverse-engineering).

I'm not against making a recording of the Heretic soundtrack, but I'll need some help. As I said, I'm not an FPS gamer, and it's very unlikely I'll force myself through the game just to record the music... I assume the level music just keeps playing even when the game is paused (like in Shadow Warrior), so if you send me save files for each level that has different music, I can record all of them (I don't touch "MIDI rips" done by others as I don't trust them and they're all over the place—I only record in-game music, as a general rule, except when I'm 100% certain the alternative way is safe, like with the PX player, and even then I double-check).

Perhaps there are such save files available somewhere already; you could help me save some time and locate them for me. It seems there are 22 tracks in total according to this page, so I'll need 22 save files and then I can record the full OST :)
Thank you, this is excellent. I'm currently away from my computer, but I'll provide the necessary information as soon as I have the time. One thing that might be worth considering right off is whether recording lossless files at optimal bit depth and frequency won't pose any difficulties, since I presume that the card can only be used with an older system.

It should be possible to record the tracks using properly extracted and converted files. Morenatsu. has experience with making good and accurate recordings with SC-55, so his advice would be welcome.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thank you, this is excellent. I'm currently away from my computer, but I'll provide the necessary information as soon as I have the time. One thing that might be worth considering right off is whether recording lossless files at optimal bit depth and frequency won't pose any difficulties, since I presume that the card can only be used with an older system.
That isn't a problem, it's no different to recording the SC-55 and the MU80 or anything with an analog out. The AWE32 analog out will go into a mixer that also acts as an USB audio interface, which is plugged into a second computer. I record at 24-bit / 48kHz, then downconvert to 16-bit / 48kHz FLACs.

I might get the digital TOSLINK output of my AWE32 hooked up to the mixer, I just need to buy some extra gear for that. However, I prefer the character the analog output stage of the AWE32 imparts to the sound—I've listened to some recordings of the digi out of the AWE32 on YouTube, and I found them sterile and cold sounding in an unflattering way.

It should be possible to record the tracks using properly extracted and converted files. @Morenatsu. has experience with making good and accurate recordings with SC-55, so his advice would be welcome.
Read my full article for my thoughts on this. Unless there is a tool that uses the *original sound drivers* of the game with the *exact same*, unaltered music files (which is what PX does; it's basically an extracted version of the whole Miles Sound System); I won't touch it. My understanding is that id Software games such as Heretic and DOOM use the MUS format, and conversion between MUS and MIDI is problematic. There's lots of things that can go wrong, believe me. It's just much easier for me to go straight to the source rather than constantly second-guessing the results... that's a waste of time and effort.

schru

Arcane
That isn't a problem, it's no different to recording the SC-55 and the MU80 or anything with an analog out. The AWE32 analog out will go into a mixer that also acts as an USB audio interface, which is plugged into a second computer. I record at 24-bit / 48kHz, then downconvert to 16-bit / 48kHz FLACs.

I might get the digital TOSLINK output of my AWE32 hooked up to the mixer, I just need to buy some extra gear for that. However, I prefer the character the analog output stage of the AWE32 imparts to the sound—I've listened to some recordings of the digi out of the AWE32 on YouTube, and I found them sterile and cold sounding in an unflattering way.

It should be possible to record the tracks using properly extracted and converted files. @Morenatsu. has experience with making good and accurate recordings with SC-55, so his advice would be welcome.
Read my full article for my thoughts on this. Unless there is a tool that uses the *original sound drivers* of the game with the *exact same*, unaltered music files (which is what PX does; it's basically an extracted version of the whole Miles Sound System); I won't touch it. My understanding is that id Software games such as Heretic and DOOM use the MUS format, and conversion between MUS and MIDI is problematic. There's lots of things that can go wrong, believe me. It's just much easier for me to go straight to the source rather than constantly second-guessing the results... that's a waste of time and effort.
I see, that's good to know. I do think authenticity should be maintained to the fullest extent possible, so I do like your approach. I take it that all you need is save files for every distinct track made in the DOS version of the game. Analogue output would indeed be preferable, from what you describe.

I can't test how all the tracks are right now, but most of them do not have loop points and the pause before a loop is intentional. I'm only uncertain about MUS_E1M9, the final boss theme, as that track is short and it feels like it would be better to have one loop on it, but only if there's actually a smooth transition.

Apart from that, isolating the intermission and outro scene tracks might pose a problem, as they are probably launched without any pause. Perhaps there's a way of switching tracks in the game manually.

I will provide the save files as soon as I can.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's wrong with MUS? I just play them in some old version of Winamp. Seems fine.

System Shock on Yamaha... lol...
"Seems fine and it sounds how I remember it if I put it on in the background" is not good enough for preservation purposes, sorry. If you haven't compared it painstakingly to the real in-game music recently, you just don't know.

I've done some digging, and bingo, the Winamp plugin is just some reimplementation of the MUS player by some dude, and it's not accurate.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/19447-mus-player/?tab=comments#comment-335083
2. MUSPlay by Vladimir Arnost. That's one great DOS app which allows you to play MUS via command-line and can play in the background while you're doing other things. Problem is that, again, it's a DOS program, and under Windows may not function well. Also, being a command-line app, it doesn't include any fancy (but pretty standard these days) options, like playlists.

[...}

To summarize it all - if you want a simple and convenient way to play MUS files - go for WinAmp. If you want accurate playback - the old MUSPlay is pretty much the only way.

The MUSPlay DOS-only tool seems to be just the ticket as that uses the exact same driver code without changes ripped out of the game. It can be still not 100%, because what if they tweaked the driver slightly between games... that's a fairly typical thing to do. But it's at least promising.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=447161#p447161
Comparing to MUSPlay by V. Arnost, I find that it sounds exactly the same when playing through DOSBOx's MPU-401, but quite different when playing through the OPL emulated at port 388h. MUSPlay sounds nicer in this case (using the original Genmidi lump from DOOM).

Also see here:
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/MUS_Player

schru we might do that, use savegames where possible, and revert to using MUSPlay if there's no other practical way without me becoming an FPS expert :)

EDIT: Uh oh... just downloaded MUSPlay and checked out the included documentation. It's *not* the original driver, but a re-implementation... It's only supposed to play DOOM MUS files, probably the format & drivers are slightly different in later games (and why wouldn't they improve their internal tools a bit, right?)

Also, this is at the end of the doco... *This* is what I'm talking about, you can't trust any of these re-implemented players...
Known Bugs
----------

File D_INTROA.MUS from original DOOM.WAD is not played correctly (some voices
sound too loud). I can't figure out why.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can you post what exactly is wrong with MUS playback? Do you know?
Dunno. You're trusting the guy that he reimplemented an undocumented, internal music format correctly and bug free on all supported sound devices. That's a lot of trust.

You can compare in-game output and the MUSPlay output for all games on all supported soundcard drivers and report back. I find that a waste of time.

We just found some problems with PX that uses identical code ripped out of the Miles Sound System, because the game executable itself can interact with it in ways that's not contained in the XMI music files... So, you can never be sure that you get 100% correct output, unless you painstakingly compare it to the in-game output... which beats the whole purpose.

If you're just listening to some tunes, MUSPlay is probably fine. But I want to capture & archive the 100% authentic output for archival purposes — that's a different story.

There is good reason why all C64 SID players emulate the *whole* C64, and the SID music files are basically the byte-identical music player & music data ripped out of the games & demos.

Same for Amiga modplayers; virtually all of them are subtly wrong, including XMPlay and BASS, which are supposed to be 100% accurate... they're not. One way to achieve accurate ProTracker playback is to slavishly convert the original 68k assembly code to C code. A better way is to write a full 68k CPU emulator... I've been there, tried to write a modplayer, and failed in the accuracy department... There's simply no other way, it's a deceptively simple task to write a MIDI/MOD player, but in practice it's full of traps...

EDIT: Lots of complaints about the accuracy of MUSPlay here, doubts about the MUS format, the process of extracting the MUS files, etc. This is why I don't deal with this shit, only with in-game playback.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/53957-doom-2-music-over-sb16/

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
Rincewind, I've spent a bit of time checking out how the tracks are played in Heretic, and isolating some of them or even getting nice fade-outs to silence with lingering reverb on tracks which do have definite conclusions with a short pause may be a problem. There's even a problem with the title track in that it is cut off and a demo recording with a different track is launched before it finishes.

Only a few of the tracks seem to have a bit of silence at the end, but many which are set up to transition back to the beginning nicely would nevertheless probably benefit from being recorded with no additional short loop to add a fade-out manually, as the way they wrap up on their own is better if they're to be appreciated one by one, on their own.

Of course, this also raises the question of what your intention with such recordings might be, because if they were to be used with source ports, recording each track with a looped section from the beginning might allow someone who knows how to do it to create loop points for seamless playback, the way MusicallyInspired does it with his SC-55 recordings. If the tracks are meant to be listened to outside the game, I think it's better to have them end where they conclude if no looping is involved, so without manually added fade-outs.

Generally, for purposes of listening, I think it would have to be decided which tracks should be recorded without any loops

Setting that aside for the time being, I have tried to look a bit further into what the music or sound card which Kevin Schilder, the game's composer, used might have been, and I found something interesting. He wrote that he usually had access to the latest Sound Blaster, which indeed would have been AWE32 at the time of the game's development. In fact, Heretic entered development the same month as that card was released, in March 1994.

The earlier Sound Blaster, 16, is clearly too limited to have been the hardware he worked on. But there's also the add-on Wave Blaster MIDI synthesizer, which I might have dismissed prematurely in the past. It seems that it and its sequel, Wave Blaster II, had both already been out by 1993. Judging by the recordings available at wavetable.nl, the music produced by Wave Blaster II is quite similar, if not identical, to that produced by AWE32, as they seem to have used the same synthesizer engine. However, the first Wave Blaster sounds a bit different and there's a surprising quality to its rendition of the first level track, ‘Dark’, as the strings there sound more like a chorus and it's quite impressive. On the other hand, the second track seems to sound rather obviously wrong, but it can't be discounted that it's a problem caused by using badly prepared files for the recording, as I think certain parts need to be disabled depending on the music device used.

The recordings in question are available here: https://www.wavetable.nl/heretic/

Sound Blaster AWE32: https://www.wavetable.nl/files/comparison/games/Heretic/E1M1/Heretic - HE1M1_The Docks [Creative Sound Blaster AWE32].mp3

Wave Blaster: https://www.wavetable.nl/files/comparison/games/Heretic/E1M1/Heretic - HE1M1_The Docks [Creative Wave Blaster].mp3

Doesn't that sound rather good? A bit too good to be accidental, perhaps?

It's hard to say if this is worth investigating further, or if it's even possible to do so if there's no one available who could check how the Wave Blaster performs in the game, but I thought it was worth bringing it up before starting anything.

Finally, one thing you could profitably do for now, Rincewind, is to see if the crackling I mentioned occurs for your on AWE32 in the game. The best track to look for it seems to be MUS_E1M7, as it happens right away in the available AWE32 and 64 recordings. You can launch the level which uses this track by starting an episode and typing in engage17 during gameplay.

Here are the recordings with the distortion:

I apologize if I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, but I wouldn't like to waste your time if the original card synthesizer used to compose the tracks is after all in doubt.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Dunno. You're trusting the guy that he reimplemented an undocumented, internal music format correctly and bug free on all supported sound devices. That's a lot of trust.
You're also putting trust in people who say it's wrong in an old thread full of people who seem to have no idea what they're talking about? It's not like I'm emulating my SC-55 or anything. And what are you going to do if the in-game playback is actually the one that's wrong?

Well, it seems like you're only interested in recording in-game output on random modules rather than ripping soundtracks. Whatever.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You're also putting trust in people who say it's wrong in an old thread full of people who seem to have no idea what they're talking about? It's not like I'm emulating my SC-55 or anything. And what are you going to do if the in-game playback is actually the one that's wrong?

Well, it seems like you're only interested in recording in-game output on random modules rather than ripping soundtracks. Whatever.
Both.

And by "ripping" I mean recording the actual in-game MIDI output, where possible (not possible on games with direct AWE32 support that talks to the EMU8k chip directly — there's no MIDI involved; same with native GUS games). I'm also in the process of collecting game OST recordings from YouTube etc, but only where it's clearly stated they recorded the tunes in-game. Reasons: many of the random rips are wrong, or "enhanced" by the guy who created them.

Last edited:

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
After reading this article in the OP post, the main conclusion that SC-55 or MU80 are automatically superior stayed with me.

I didn't do any DOS gaming in the last couple of months, but yesterday I decided to try playing Dark Sun for the hundredth time.

I compared Gravis Ultrasound (thru UltraMID), CM-32L and SC-55, and I can't say SC-55 is a winner here. CM-32L offers more sound effects than SC-55:
- applause
- gust of wind (not captured in this video, it happens in the intro)
- some croaking sound that's part of the music sequence in the beginning

CM-32L also sounds more "here". SC-55 sounds like the music is coming from a distance.
On the other hand SC-55 offers better drums and pipes, and provides some surround sound effects (the latter I'm not sure I like).
GUS offers a more interesting "crowd roar" sound instead of applause, but sounds worse in general.

I don't know, but I think I'm sticking with CM-32L here. Music-wise, SC-55 may be a winner, but if we're talking about gaming, it looks like you're going to miss out on sounds.

Also, check out the CRT shader.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom