Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Graphics =/= Art Direction

denizsi

Arcane
StrangeCase said:
Sorry boys, "art direction" is an established term that has almost nothing to do with your bullshit.

Established by who? When?

Use the Google, Luke.

Don't get so stuck up in your semantics, people. Certain terminology have long been established to answer the needs of the industry to resolve the issues with the then overall creation and manufacturing process of any product long before there were any public perception of arts in a liberal sense (ie. the contemporary perception we today have) and thus a semanticist redefinition. In the context of the industry (whether it is theatre, opera, film, literature, publishing and so on and so forth) which is the only context that's relevant to anyone or anything because there's no art or any value to art without industry, primary meaning of "art" has always been and still is the dealings with visuals from the very beginning.

For instance, think of the term "concept art" and "concept artist". Have you ever heard of a concept artist who provided "conceptual choreography" for performing arts, "conceptual dialogue" for a play or "conceptual sound samples" for music/films/opera/whatever, just because the suffix of the term is "art" and "artist"? No.

When anyone on anywhere on the planet says "concept art" or "concept artist", there is simply no confusion or dispute over what is actually meant by that: the piece of imagery, picture, a visual work that's meant to provide key concepts to set the direction of any kind of visual representation in the overall creation process. It's a term exclusive to the imagery. If there is need to set a direction for the music, there are other, more technical and "less artsy" terms like sound engineer, sometimes "sound artist" (note the "sound" prefix) or what have you.

The exact same thing applies to art direction. It's nice that you're so stuck up in yourself and eager to provide meaningless walls of text to prove your clueless "insight" based on your poor grasp of semantics devoid of any historical and industrial context.

There is another term, "creative direction" which is probably closer to your semanticist misperception of art direction.

StrangeCase

Educated
Use the Google, Luke.

I used the wiki:

"The term art director is a blanket title for a variety of similar job functions in advertising, publishing, film and television, the Internet, and video games."
[...]
"In particular, the art director is in charge of the overall visual appearance and how it communicates visually, stimulates moods, contrasts features, and psychologically appeals to a target audience. The art director makes decisions about visual elements used, what artistic style to use, and when to use motion."

Unless we separate art director from art direction, looks like the term is limited to visual aspects.

CrimHead

Scholar
1eyedking said:
Chateaubryan said:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Silent-Hill-2-Pyramid-Head-Analysis&id=3860301

Pity this thread derailed from a rather interesting thought about how music and sound is relevant to Art direction in interactive media to a rather sub-codexian trolling of japanese productions.

"Article" said:
Pyramid Head from the video game Silent Hill 2 has remained the Silent Hill series' iconic monster. This is most probably due to the originality of the monster as well as the complex psychological implications of it. While there are quite a few good attempts at analysis around, there are some implications that seem to have been missed. Herein, the significance and complexity of the monsters will be explored.

Pyramid Head serves as a manifestation of what Jung would call the Shadow Archetype. This is basically the repressed negative aspects of every human being and in Silent Hill represents the repressed negative aspects of James Sunderland 1. To represent James Sunderland's Shadow Archetype, the monster draws upon a relatively wide selection of concepts.

In terms of its appearance, it first draws upon the image of an executioner from the medieval ages. As Executioners are almost exclusively male and associated with oppressive, masculine laws, the monster represents James Sunderland's oppressive masculinity. It also represents how James essentially 'executed' his wife.

Pyramid Head also has a secondary representation associated with oppressive masculinity by having a clearly phallic appearance. This is both in terms of its general appearance; with its head essentially representing the glans of male anatomy, as well as the weapons it uses all being long, stabbing weapons of some kind or another. It is no mistake that James eventually comes to wield Pyramid Head's blade, which is effective against anything that has experienced oppressive masculinity such as Eddie.

Near the end Silent Hill 2, James must essentially fight two Pyramid Heads. This is because he has murdered, or believes he has murdered, two people. Thus, when defeated, one of the monsters has a rusted sphere, representing the murder of Mary, and one has a crimson sphere, representing the murder of Eddie.

References:

1.Jung, C.G. (1938). "Psychology and Religion." In CW 11: Psychology and Religion: West and East. P.131.
BWAAHHAHHAHA, WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!

Male + Gigantic Metallic Pyramid + Gigantic Generic Sword + Butchers' apron = "repressed negativity"-born oppressive executioner?

Triangular head = phallic?

Rust/crimson spheres = murders?

Seriously.

I mean, seriously.

dali.jpg

LOLOLOL LOOK AT THIS SHIT SO PRETENTIOUS SYMBOLISM WHAT???

1eyedking's first post on this thread was p. good, but now he's descending into trying-too-hard-to-look-cool territory. Shame.

Black Cat said:
You mean ICO? Sorry, i thought this was a serious talk with someone who knew what the fuck he was talking about. Move along, then.

1eyedking said:
Yes. Your point is...?

The kid isn't wearing a viking helmet (even if he was, dismissing the character because of that would be dumb), he has actual horns, which caused the people to lock him into the tower where the game takes place. In the prequel, Shadow of the Colossus, it's shown how the kid was born.

You can't take a 5-second quick look into a game and safely say it's shit. That's why we have FO3 retards babbling about how it's stupid a post apocalyptic wasteland would be, since nuclear winter would make everything cold and how it's unrealistic that there's no vegetation and how radiation doesn't create giant ants and yadda yadda uadda.

Clockwork Knight said:
1eyedking's first post on this thread was p. good, but now he's descending into trying-too-hard-to-look-cool territory. Shame.
'Tis the folly of many a Codexer.

Destroid

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:

Except he wrote 10 paragraphs explaining his misconception about the term art direction.

Radisshu

Prophet
Did someone actually claim that graphics are art direction? On this forum?

1eyedking

Erudite
Chateaubryan said:
Thought so.

I won't be fighting over your feinted inability to understand how symbolism can be used efficiently in a medium. If you don't want to play it, or at least admit that there are games worth playing outside the spectrum you're accustomed to, your loss. :smug:
Hammer = Blacksmithing tool, symbol of hard work, immediately associated with metalcrafting and productivity. Hammerite symbology in Thief.

Guy in bloody apron + gigantic sword + gigantic metal triangle helmet = Butchering (which is direct and not a symbol at all) + serious self-esteem issues + mathematical...something? Apparently not - it's supposed to be an executioner with sexual overtones. LULZ.

By those second standards I should also consider the hammer to be a phallic object since it's composed of a shaft and a gigantic head (which obviously represents the glans) and striking with a hammer "calling forth sparks" is obviously a metaphor for semen. Herp derp.

You see, symbolism is fine and dandy when it's done well. Otherwise it's just pretentious crap. Try harder.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
1eyedking said:
Old Degenerate Priest said:
Sure, you may not like it but it is nothing like anime which was your point. Anime isn't everything that is japanese, it is a style with its own signatures and tropes, which all i showed you doesn't has. I'm not saying you have to like it, i'm saying it's not what it's usually refered as anime.
This is the supposed "wide range of modern Anime" characters.
The above example was bit silly. You are quoting from wikipedia...

Anime is an abstract form of art. They avoid part of mimics on purpose.

Let's show you some real images from anime. (Chosen at random.)

And oh yes also this:

And this:

However this thread is about art in computer games, not about surrealistic landscapes in Anime, or about list of Anime characters. So I suggest to post more images for example from Void or from something similar.

1eyedking

Erudite
CrimHead said:
dali.jpg

LOLOLOL LOOK AT THIS SHIT SO PRETENTIOUS SYMBOLISM WHAT???
Obviously at Silent Hill's Pyramid Head level.

But anyway, since we're on the subject of symbols, here's a much more powerful one:
adam%20and%20the%20finger%20of%20god%201.jpg

Dude didn't need to resort to any pomegranates, rifles, bayonets, fishes, tigers, insectoid elephants, floating pieces of stone; just two fingers almost touching each other.

I don't particularly like MA, but at least his symbolism is not tacky.

Last edited:

1eyedking

Erudite
Black Cat said:
You and I are talking of entirely diferent things. You are seeing settings as real places, or as imitation of those, needing a story and an inner logic that can be understood by following normal logic. I'm talking about settings as in the scenery where a story (or game) happens, with no more use nor existence beyond either helping to build mood and atmosphere, be pretty to look at, create interesting challenges, and convey parts of the plot or meaning by their very presence.
Well, that's my point altogether. It's supposed to look pretty (when it's not even that). End of story.

It's incredibly superficial. Doesn't invite to thinking, to imagine, to get lost in the world as if you could walk inside of it and see the cogs moving behind the wheel. In terms you'd like, I think, it's all akin to Plato's allegory of the cave.

This is kind of obvious in your opinion of The Witcher monsters. You tell me to read the bestiary, while all i care about is there are monsters who look kind of ghoulish, in a crypt, and i kill them. They are lacking in the mood department, since for all uses and purposes they are ghouls (and then you have evil plants too) and they are not trying to convey any meaning either, so why should we care?
So you only care about the creature's external appearance? You don't care why it's there, how it came to be there, nor when? Nor how can you trace it's existence tied to previous events? You just take it in without questioning, I see; I'm sorry but this speaks terribly shallow of you.

You ask about the history and reasons behind the building of a fantasy castle, for fuck's sake. Do you care about that when listening to an allegory that happens in a castle, or a fairy tale that does? No, the entire point of the castle is to have shit happen inside of it. That's the only point of it's existence, and it's only function as a setting is to be a cool place for the shit that will happen inside of it, be moody and atmospheric, and, if the story has a purpose or meaning beyond kill shit and get loot, how well does it convey that message. All other crap is, like, i don't know, stupid. Who cares about that kind of stuff in a fantasy game?
I don't care when I listen to the world "castle" in a fairy tale because my imagination does all the work of creating a plausible castle that provides the fertile ground to break the wall between fantasy and reality that is the purpose of fairy tales themselves.

When a game draws the castle out for me, it better not break the purpose of fantasy which is to provide a link between imagination and reality. A link which all Japanese games shatter.

It's like questioning the biology of the Colossi in SotC, or the rationale beyond there being a huge roguelike tower dungeon in Baroque. Who cares? It's reason is to be there and be aesthetically consistent, aesthetically pleasing for its target demographic, and to convey the plots themes when the plot has themes.

I mean...
I'm not questioning the biology of the Colossus. In fact, I particularly didn't find the Colossus to be unbelievable, just the landscapes. I don't care for a giant golem's particular inner workings as long as its existence is justified in the mind of a believable creator - I don't know, maybe a god: but if this god were to add unnecessary glowing runes and twisting sparkly fiery balls spinning around it as most jRPGs tend to do, I'd ask myself "Why the fuck did he add all that if gods don't give a shit about fashion design and in fact precede nature". Believable creation -> Believable creator -> Disbelief is still in suspension -> Good art direction.

Sure, I'm glad you think over design is wrong and vile, cool, but we live in a pretty superficial society ourselves, and most of the current western styles are victim of being over designed and lacking both purpose and direction too. So regardless of your opinion of it we are talking of something universal, not gook based nor inspired. Or do you think gook thingies are so popular with people of my generation because it corrupts our very selves and turns us inside out instead of because it gives us exactly what we are looking for? It isn't the cause, dood.
Of course not. We've adopted Japanese stuff into our culture and we're suffering the consequences, blatantly apparent in games like WoW, for example.

But still that doesn't mean that at some point we didn't create a Fallout, a StarCraft, a Diablo, a Thief, a Witcher, a Deus Ex. Did the Japanese ever create something of that level? No.

Who cares? First, those haircuts where not even in the medieval like games, so meh, but are you asking for internal cultural consistency in a bloody fantasy game? Are you the king of escapist storyfags or something like that? In most japanese thingies the haircuts and colors and fashion are used to convey the character and it's themes to us, so it has to talk our language, not the language of the, like, low medieval or something, and that goes regardless of how cool or insipid the character is. The entire point is to you being able to tell the general themes and aspects of the characters because of their speech patterns, fashion, and colors. They aren't complex psychological constructs, they are either incarnated gameplay mechanics or devices to convey a message. Who wants to invest their lives in learning the subtleties of people that does not exist? D:
This I can understand, and it's true; but isn't length, curliness and opaque colors enough to portray those themes? Do they really have to go spiky and fluorescent to get a character's theme right? I don't think so.

It's just a modern fashion statement. It doesn't even qualify as artistic, if we have to be serious. So no, I still think it's a terrible way of providing symbolic cues.

And really big swords are just guys compensating, that's not my fault. The japagooks just go kind of overboard with it, but really, Geralt going all dancing murderous hopping dervish with a sword, like, as long as i am tall, or about if i don't recall it wrong, is not precisely less compensating or ridiculous, less so when he is somehow choping and dicing four foes at once while doin so. Let's be honest, please. :P
The Witcher isn't perfect. If there's something in particular that I loathed in the game and can't stop commenting to my friends is how ridiculously bombastic the combat is - the sad part? At one point the directors hired professional fencers to motion-capture medieval messer handbook techniques, but ultimately ditched it in favor of pleasing the gimmick crowd.

Uhm, pathetic excuse? There is no excuse nor need for one, and why limit the symbolic meanings or gameplay uses of some random fantasy place to either realism, common sense, or fantasy logic when there is no need to do so? It was built there to be a nice backdrop for the game's story and offer interesting challenges, jumping puzzles, battle arenas, and lots of indirect routes after getting all old and rusty and ruined, because last time i checked there is no real people living in there and thus no real motives to build big magic castles. Just like the colossi are representations of forces and concepts and there is not logic to their beings other than being so and then getting killed by a jerk with a horse and a sword so we can all feel sad and go down the path of black eyeliner. The stories and settings are the excuses themselves, you don't create excuses for the excuses.
Couldn't they have copied European castle design, added some rust, some soot, and collapsed segments instead of going the floating tower with green/blue/red bricked tower caps and chains and unnecessary twisting arches route? Less is more. And this is an axiom in tasteful art (you know, the whole "tell without showing" thing and stuff), let me inform you.

Also there you again with the reason of being being none other than being (pardon the redundancy). Even if there's no people living there, some entity must have imagined it, and if his or her imagination includes themes and concepts that are out of place with the game's world, time and setting then it's still shallow to forgive complete dumbfuckery of expected aesthetics, functionality, and purpose of form. People don't build and create stuff just "for the lulz" you know, or at least we adults don't. Perhaps in your fantastical excuse of a reality this kind of thing is the norm - maybe we're disagreeing because we're on two totally different frequencies.

I mean, like, people in Fantasy Land lives only to either be walking stores, gameplay elements, walking hints, and storytelling devices, and they did not exist before you put the disc in the drive, and they stop existing once you get bored. And time stops in their universe when you let the game on pause to get some food or go talk to your parents or go on a date with your boyfriend. So if you think a thing other than either what was the writer trying to convey or how do i use this on the gameplay challenges or this shit is totally pwetty and moody when exploring i don't really understand you, sorry.

And if you see it like this, well, then it's just subjective judgement on how pwetty or cool it is, and there's, like, nothing to discuss.
Cute. I think all of those while I'm playing, as long as what is conveyed is logical and coherent. That's the point of my original post, to be honest. You're still not understanding (or wanting to) what I'm trying to explain here; the reason why art/creative direction in most games nowadays is vomitive.

What's the point of being original on the language you are using to express the ideas you are trying to convey? Babel was no fun, you know? Why go and create an entire symbolic system from the ground up when it is not needed to express your ideas nor is it going to be understood by the people you want your ideas to reach? What kind of retard learns the five hundred Gods of fantasy land when they are in no way more meaningful in their symbolism than the already big enough pantheons we have over here? And if you are going to try to pull an but Lord Blah of Faerun is as meaningful and symbolic as Shiva i'm calling no life retard, sorry.
First, because the gods are ultimately tied to the history of the fantasy land and their actions and convictions

I really have nothing against you, and i actually think you have interesting things to say every now and then, but i don't really follow the way you are seeing fantasy worlds as anything but, like, fantasy worlds, and if someone really expects me to learn the five hundred gods and three thousand magical creatures and six thousands year of history and twelve diferent made up ideologies, which are actually simplified and superretarded versions of real ideologies and symbologies and pantheons and stuffies, of their fantasy world to convey a message that could have been conveyed by using the gods and symbols and philosophies we already have, well, fuck them and it is them who are the pretentious ones if they think they have something so totally groundbreaking to convey in a bloody videogame that thousands of years of folklore, mythology, symbolism, and mythology is not enough to convey it. They have way too much time on their hands. And they write for people who does the same. And when a fifteen year old girl eighty year old degenerate pedophile of a retired catholic exorcist thinks someone has way too much time in their hands, believe her him, it's her his area of expertise. :roll:
I have nothing against you either, just your opinions. I just think you built them on sandy ground, that's all, since art is destroyed as soon as we judge it solely by its "prettyness".

To the point: do we have a Hammerite god in our culture? Do we have a Trickster, too? Even if we did have them, do they fit in tightly with the game's world parameters?

Anyway, I'm on the same level with you when you say five hundred gods and/or pantheons are boring when they convey just lore you can read for flavor purposes. If they aren't tied to gameworld events, people, or philosophies that affect your character(s) (or sparked a sequence of events that ultimately led to such an effect), then they're completely needless and filler. This happens particularly in The Elder Scrolls games, which's filler lore sadly gets lots of props here in the Codex.

And I did not really went any deeper on Thief lore once I saw it was basicaly Pillar of Force vs Pillar of Form with basic hermetic gnosticism done all over again, thank you very much. I like their clothes, though. And I like the way they draw their magic thingies in the cutscenes, too. :3 I love Thief all the same, though. We are like brothers in Christ, but in Thief instead, regardless of we liking it for totally diferent reasons, i guess.
Please explain more.

Not really smart dead things that stumble around in crypts and need to meet my magical silvery sword of evil monster anihilation = Zombie, maybe Ghoul, a gaki or preta if they are motivated by unsatisfied material lusts, etc. I do not need to learn an entirely new set of symbols to convey the same basic concept for all things that are holy and pretty and fluffy and cute, like, everywhere!
I'm not going to make it easy for you. Read the fucking bestiary already.

As opposed to, like, all the vastly inhabited keeps in those videos i posted? Or did you really took those walking skeletons and evil hungry demons and zombies and, like, thingies falling apart and dust and piles of rubble and the broken masonry and the total lack of living non hostile things outside the main character and sidekicks as a sign of them being cultural, economic, and social centers of some kind? :?
YES. I imagined a necromancer raising them for the purpose of fielding his own personal army; maybe the demons from the Nine Hells commanding their minions to rise against from the Underworld to establish a forward post for their terror campaigns; or some ghostly murder that echoes in the halls of forgotten keep, a spirit waiting for the truth of the matter to be known so as to finally rest in peace. As much as stuff in our world doesn't happen without a cause, so in our imaginations events should be conceived under the same rule, lest we become beastly purposeless in our thoughts.

That thing you posted turns all thing i posted into outside of the wide range of modern anime, so either it is wrong or you just said, like, super kawaii black kitty is right and i'm wrong, thank you. So don't try to be a jerk when no one's being hostile and i'm just talking around, dood.
Really? I still saw the very same stereotypes, design conventions and visual style that plagues modern Japanese culture. But maybe I'm wrong, I'm just a one-eyed king after all.

Radisshu

Prophet
Anime isn't an abstract form of art, it's what japanese cartoons are called.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Radisshu said:
Anime isn't an abstract form of art, it's what japanese cartoons are called.
No no Radisshu, Anime is animated Manga, which is an art with a large sexual undertones and large degree of stylization. Have you seen that 300 years old Manga image (Tied up woman had a sex, that penis was quite visible.)? Manga heavily borrowed from these old Japanese artistic/sexual images.

Of course not. We've adopted Japanese stuff into our culture and we're suffering the consequences, blatantly apparent in games like WoW, for example.
No no 1eyedking, US movie industry seen popularity of the Anime, and instead of an analysis which could give them a hints why is anime popular, they thought it was because of the different drawing style, not because Anime had consistency, more mature/better quality stories, and continuity. So they decided to copy look and feel, however they forgot a different color will not save a pig with a lipstick, it would look like a pig anyway.

Also what's that talk about adoption of Japanese stuff into society? Japanese are very racists, isolationistic, and jerks inside. US made games are still very politically correct, try to avoid any nipple exposure, and try to not offend democratic government.

Anime like art style were used in computer games to distinguish two characters on the screen. Look for example at Disgaea style. Then compare Disgaea game with Disgaea anime style.

But still that doesn't mean that at some point we didn't create a Fallout, a StarCraft, a Diablo, a Thief, a Witcher, a Deus Ex. Did the Japanese ever create something of that level? No.
Well Japanese created Okami, ICO, and several other games. In fact majority of Square-Enix games had rather high end art direction. FF XII characters look nice even on 1200x1000 screen. FF XIII has several great looking scenes, for example that scene where they are pumping an explosive liquid into that thing where main characters are. Chrono cross had several very nicely looking scenes.

Actually look at this image: http://img1.sankakustatic.com/wp-conten ... ey-016.jpg
It looks like Japanese artists are quite skilled.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am sorely disappointed with 1EK for dismissing Vagrant Story. The art direction is very far from the usual japanese stuff, if you'll only ignore Ashleys assless chaps.

yaster

Liturgist
Raghar said:
Well Japanese created Okami, ICO, and several other games. In fact majority of Square-Enix games had rather high end art direction. FF XII characters look nice even on 1200x1000 screen. FF XIII has several great looking scenes, for example that scene where they are pumping an explosive liquid into that thing where main characters are. Chrono cross had several very nicely looking scenes.

Actually look at this image: http://img1.sankakustatic.com/wp-conten ... ey-016.jpg

But you lack proper understanding. The real question, like in really real real, is: is it realistic enough, like in really real realistic? Is protagonist sword bursting in flames? If yes it is shit. Is this sword very wide as opposed to just very long? If yes it is shit. Does characters hair have some form of weird stylization as opposed to be corporate standards friendly? If yes it is shit. Does characters clothing have shoulder pads just so it looks cool? If yes it is shit. Does character clothing looks like being stolen from superman (poor naked bitch)? If yes then it is sh... ohh wait it is good actually, because you know it is nice to take things from films 1eyedking you ought to like and it looks cool. But no matter, lets continue. Is style of art somehow related to anime, like being made in the very same country? If yes it is shit. Is style not unique enough, copypasted from other things? If yes it is shit. Is monsters design ripped from warhammer? If yes it is.. g.. no sh.. no goo.. good! yeah good. Great even! It is warhammer afterall silly! war-ham-mer. Huh.

I think you understand what good art direction is now. So don't act sinful anymore and adhere the golden rules. Peace be with you brother, believer of the new faith.

Now you can admire:

diablo1.gif

Just look at all this purpose in monster design, those claws and elbow spikes. And toads! Owwwh

Morgan's Vats of Goo
Here the water flowing

Zergling_SC-G_Art1.jpg

Uhmmm zerglings, my love.

tyranid.jpg

What the hell, moar zerglings!

1eyedking

Erudite
yaster said:
Bombastic Hollywood scenes = art now, I see. Herp derp.

Technical skill =/= art. Lots of people can draw pretty things, but about 99% of them aren't artists. They lack the creativity, playfulness and wisdom to create something of lasting value. That picture transmits nothing, in the end.

"Looks pretty" was all I thought. Style is indefinite. Take a look at any of Boyarsky's Icewind Dale portraits and you'll see he has his own style and vision different from about everything else in games out there. I'm not saying he's a Jacques-Louis David or a Repin, but he's got talent.

But you lack proper understanding. The real question, like in really real real, is: is it realistic enough, like in really real realistic? Is protagonist sword bursting in flames? If yes it is shit. Is this sword very wide as opposed to just very long? If yes it is shit. Does characters hair have some form of weird stylization as opposed to be corporate standards friendly? If yes it is shit. Does characters clothing have shoulder pads just so it looks cool? If yes it is shit. Does character clothing looks like being stolen from superman (poor naked bitch)? If yes then it is sh... ohh wait it is good actually, because you know it is nice to take things from films 1eyedking you ought to like and it looks cool. But no matter, lets continue. Is style of art somehow related to anime, like being made in the very same country? If yes it is shit. Is style not unique enough, copypasted from other things? If yes it is shit. Is monsters design ripped from warhammer? If yes it is.. g.. no sh.. no goo.. good! yeah good. Great even! It is warhammer afterall silly! war-ham-mer. Huh.

I think you understand what good art direction is now. So don't act sinful anymore and adhere the golden rules. Peace be with you brother, believer of the new faith.
Quaint, but lacking arguments. None of the games I mentioned have flaming swords, naked chicks (really is the Rogue that scantily clad? Looks like a Valkyrie to me), or anything severely out of place in the game (except for Fallout 2, but still everything fits in its own special way). And yes, all Japanese games borrow something from Anime in one way or another, and since Anime is pure shit from every angle you look at it from, it's always shit what they end up putting.

About Diablo: you forgot about the Catacombs, the music, the church's entrance, the dungeons, the Butcher's lair, Hell, the characters' normal armors, the monster's screams, the HUD, the darkness, the tomes and libraries, etc. Bonus: compare to Vagrant Story's terrible concept art design. There's no way someone can understand what the fuck is going on in that picture's background, too.

About StarCraft: thanks for posting concept art for StarCraft II, Blizzard's new upcoming fail. Bonus: tyranids were copied from Giger's Alien designs.

About Fallout: OK, Mark Morgan copied it. Does that make the piece any worse? No, it fits the game perfectly. And I mean perfectly. Vault City track is awesome as well and isn't copied from anywhere. And most of the other songs, too. Bonus: he added the iconic industrial background noises that no other game has.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Take a look at any of Boyarsky's Icewind Dale portraits and you'll see he has his own style and vision different from about everything else in games out there. I'm not saying he's a Jacques-Louis David or a Repin, but he's got talent.

Boyarsky is there nowhere to be found.

I support your cause but your are a dumbfuck. And no, I am not gonna try to prove it to you. You just have to believe me.

Black Cat, my fav bro, where is that picture? You know, that one showing that you are a real girl.

hiver

Lets not overdue on "all anime is shit" lines.
We do have Miyazaki works which can only be described as art - in quality, inventivness, superb design... whatevere you can come up with.
Ghost in the shell is art. Poetry.

Its not all bad.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
1eyedking said:
yaster said:
Bombastic Hollywood scenes = art now, I see. Herp derp.
What?

Technical skill =/= art. Lots of people can draw pretty things, but about 99% of them aren't artists. They lack the creativity, playfulness and wisdom to create something of lasting value. That picture transmits nothing, in the end.

Are you sure about it?

1eyedking

Erudite
Orgasm said:
Take a look at any of Boyarsky's Icewind Dale portraits and you'll see he has his own style and vision different from about everything else in games out there. I'm not saying he's a Jacques-Louis David or a Repin, but he's got talent.
Brainfart, I meant Vampire Bloodlines.

Not that Jason Manley's portraits are bad, for that matter, quite the contrary.

Raghar said:
And your point is...?

hiver said:
We do have Miyazaki works which can only be described as art - in quality, inventivness, superb design... whatevere you can come up with.
Art. Please excuse me while I snort.

hiver said:
Ghost in the shell is art. Poetry.
Explain how that piece of crap movie is "art, poetry."

Lol @ people saying Anime is art. Really.

hiver

Yes - art, poetry.

miyazaki :

-

-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom