Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Waiting for Spiders to fix all the bugs in Greedfall (from the recent patch notes it seems there are still a few) I took advantage from new offerings on GoG and started playing their previous game, Technomancer. And it's not bad so far. Technically very similar to Greedfall, but miles ahead Mars: War Logs and Bound by Flame. The story is cool, the worldbuilding interesting, I am curious to see if it all falls apart at the end, like some of their previous games.

I have completed game yesterday, full run on 1.1 patch. Never encountered anything worse than getting stuck in the bush with flappy coat once. Game is impressively bug-free by modern standards, it runs smooth, loads fast and saves without tiniest hitch on my PC.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
retired French Canadian prostitute
If she's retired, why are you sleeping with her?

When I met her, I thought she was just a bartender. Once she got off shift, she came up to me and my friends and asked why a bunch of American college kids smelled like opium (we did!). I thought I was being super charming, but in retrospect I’m pretty sure she came back with us for the drugs. Maybe she would’ve slept with one of my friends instead, but I was the only one with a functional penis because I hadn’t smoked opium yet that night.

Codex Year of the Donut
Waiting for Spiders to fix all the bugs in Greedfall (from the recent patch notes it seems there are still a few) I took advantage from new offerings on GoG and started playing their previous game, Technomancer. And it's not bad so far. Technically very similar to Greedfall, but miles ahead Mars: War Logs and Bound by Flame. The story is cool, the worldbuilding interesting, I am curious to see if it all falls apart at the end, like some of their previous games.
I encountered one bug and fixed it by exiting and reentering the room.
Definitely one of the least buggiest games I've played at launch.

Delterius

Arcane
retired French Canadian prostitute
If she's retired, why are you sleeping with her?

When I met her, I thought she was just a bartender. Once she got off shift, she came up to me and my friends and asked why a bunch of American college kids smelled like opium (we did!). I thought I was being super charming, but in retrospect I’m pretty sure she came back with us for the drugs. Maybe she would’ve slept with one of my friends instead, but I was the only one with a functional penis because I hadn’t smoked opium yet that night.
Portrait_Irwena_Convo.png

mfteittnlvx01.jpg

Daidre

Arcane
And I forgot to add, big imho, it does not fall apart in the end. Plot is still interesting, C&C becomes apparent and locations shrink and lose filler. Some repetition and running around is still there but it matches in level with earlier parts.

I wanted to write more detailed impressions on the game but got distracted a bit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And I forgot to add, big imho, it does not fall apart in the end. Plot is still interesting, C&C becomes apparent and locations shrink and lose filler. Some repetition and running around is still there but it matches in level with earlier parts.

I'm getting closer to the end I think and there is some C&C finally coming into play, but I'd still call it very limited compared to something like an Obsidian game.

JDR13

Arcane
There is actually quite a bit of C&C. Unfortunately, there's also a shit ton of backtracking. They should have just allowed fast travel from anywhere.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is actually quite a bit of C&C.

Like... where? I'm 31 hours in and have seen maybe a handful of C&C moments, and half of those seemed to have no real impact either way but some minor amount of faction points one way or the other. I have sided against the religious nuts every chance I got and still just got the achievement for maxing my relationship with them. It's ridiculous.

JDR13

Arcane
There is actually quite a bit of C&C.

Like... where? I'm 31 hours in and have seen maybe a handful of C&C moments, and half of those seemed to have no real impact either way but some minor amount of faction points one way or the other. I have sided against the religious nuts every chance I got and still just got the achievement for maxing my relationship with them. It's ridiculous.

It's not The Witcher or FO:NV, but it has a decent amount of C&C. I'm not going to start throwing out examples since I don't know what quests you have or haven't completed yet, but a lot of quests have multiple solutions and/or ways to piss NPCs off.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not The Witcher or FO:NV, but it has a decent amount of C&C. I'm not going to start throwing out examples since I don't know what quests you have or haven't completed yet, but a lot of quests have multiple solutions and/or ways to piss NPCs off.

If you say so. I don't even think you have dialog options at all 90% of the time. Just which lore/story dump to click first. It makes Dragon Age look like New Vegas.

JDR13

Arcane

If you say so. I don't even think you have dialog options at all 90% of the time. Just which lore/story dump to click first. It makes Dragon Age look like New Vegas.

That couldn't be more blatantly false, but I know from past experience that it's better not to argue with you once you've made up your mind about something.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That couldn't be more blatantly false, but I know from past experience that it's better not to argue with you once you've made up your mind about something.

I mean, I'm 30 hours into the game dude. If you want to tell me my experience is wrong you're gonna need more than "I said so."

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

A lot of the C&C happens based on who you choose to talk to rather than which dialogue option you pick.

For example, the inquisition quest...
Where there’s an inquisition camp holding the natives and you need to shut it down. If you go to the head of Theleme, she’ll have you preemptively attack the camp to prevent a war. If you go to the natives, you’ll attack with them and incite more conflict.

You can also completely reform Theleme’s religion... or not, depending on how you handle the San Matheus quest.

You get to choose the king of the natives—this has big implications.

And all this stuff is prior to the big final choice. The thing with Greedfall is that the C&C is pretty thin on the ground, then you get lots of major decisions in the last third of the game.

Daidre

Arcane
I mean, I'm 30 hours into the game dude. If you want to tell me my experience is wrong you're gonna need more than "I said so."

Game took 50 hours for me and I spent last 10 doing main plot only and honestly half-expecting it to end any second.

There is no tremendous completely game-changing C&C and most of it linked to factions and their willingness to help you in final stretch but I have encountered some impressing little things. Like failing secondary quest because of the plot progression, having it mentioned by the quest giver and even some explanation how they fixed situation without you from his side.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane

Looks like I'm not the only one saying so. I was going to more or less say what Daidre did, but he beat me to it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Looks like I'm not the only one saying so. I was going to more or less say what Daidre did, but he beat me to it.

I don't think his comment is saying it's some amazing C&C bounty, and neither is Kyl's. I said a handful of posts above that the some C&C is finally coming into play after 30 hours. Yes I could decide whether to report on the religion facts, yes I could decide whether to attack natives or alliance a few times. Maybe there is more of this in the home stretch, I'll see soon enough. However I don't think any of this changes the fact that the vast majority of my 30 hours has been dialogues and quests where I felt like I couldn't inject personality or decisions. Quite a few people said pages ago that the game starts well and ends well but is a boring slog in between. Some cool C&C in the end doesn't make up for the bulk having very little.

Daidre

Arcane
Imho, most boring part is when a bulk of faction quest lines that becomes available after first big twist. Some quest are pretty good, like Thélème religious dilemma or Petrus personal quests, but doing Nauts and Coin Guard line about Egon together almost put me to sleep one day.

It would have been more enjoyable, I guess, if I mixed them with a main quests that are in general more eventful, but I had suspicions, and not unfounded, that progressing main story too much will make some of them auto-fail.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane

I don't think his comment is saying it's some amazing C&C bounty, and neither is Kyl's. I said a handful of posts above that the some C&C is finally coming into play after 30 hours. Yes I could decide whether to report on the religion facts, yes I could decide whether to attack natives or alliance a few times. Maybe there is more of this in the home stretch, I'll see soon enough. However I don't think any of this changes the fact that the vast majority of my 30 hours has been dialogues and quests where I felt like I couldn't inject personality or decisions. Quite a few people said pages ago that the game starts well and ends well but is a boring slog in between. Some cool C&C in the end doesn't make up for the bulk having very little.

You love to exaggerate don't you?

No one said it had an amazing amount of C&C. I said it had quite a bit, and it does. It's also spread throughout the game not just at the end. Nothing major, but lots of little things that lead to additional dialogue, battles, loot, etc.

As far as whether or not it's a boring slog in the middile, that depends on personal taste just like any other game. i.e. Does that person enjoy the stlye of combat, etc. The majority of opinions I've seen were largely positive.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
sigh, c&c meme is so tiresome. one of the worst things to enter into the rpg discussion in years.

didn't you like Tyranny (under hurricane devastation conditions)? wasn't C&C part of the appeal, or do you think we should talk about branching and reactivity as separate things?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom