Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

I mean I get what they say, but have they also employed those 9 people for the 8 years since Grim Dawn's release? That's still a *lot* of dosh, and while they may have sold a few million copies I assume that most of them are like -80% off, so 3m copies would only be "worth" 600k full price copies. I'm not going to try to do the math since there's too many unknowns but the numbers seem pretty tight after factoring in Steam's cut, overhead, taxes, etc. And its not like they are CDProjekt that can employ poles who work for half a potato a day, they are US based.

I do seriously appreciate that they've put out patches on a fairly consistent twice a year basis that shake things up. I think a lot of bigger devs/publishers could learn from that and have a small team that makes small refinements over time. It generates a ton of goodwill, which a lot of bigger devs sorely need. The only thing that comes to mind as comparable is Blizzard still updating WC3 balance (which goes to show how cheap it is because Blizzard isn't going to invest the time to fix Remastered but tweaking the meta and keeping things interesting is easy), and the 15 year anniversary update that Guild Wars 1 got.

VonMiskov

Educated
Crate also made Farthest Frontier and now they are also working on RTS. Arthur Bruno said that he was pitching it to some publisher (for fun, shit and giggles) and all said - nah, because it's so niche. And still Crate exist, publish games and don't crumble like so many others. Respect for that.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I mean I get what they say, but have they also employed those 9 people for the 8 years since Grim Dawn's release? That's still a *lot* of dosh, and while they may have sold a few million copies I assume that most of them are like -80% off, so 3m copies would only be "worth" 600k full price copies. I'm not going to try to do the math since there's too many unknowns but the numbers seem pretty tight after factoring in Steam's cut, overhead, taxes, etc. And its not like they are CDProjekt that can employ poles who work for half a potato a day, they are US based.

3m copies sold with high DLC uptake. Also, GD's start was springboarded off Titan Quest in tech and skill. That's probably why their acceptable projection was 200k copies. If you're aiming for a few hundred thousand and end up with millions... you've got breathing room.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was reminded of this game by the recent update, and was thinking about giving it a go until I heard about the third expansion pack, so I'll be holding off until then.

Then I realized that I last played this game in 2018.
rating_oldman.png

Back then I picked Inquisitor/Demolitionist out of the blue, then gave a rifle a try and was very impressed by its performance. Seeing that my build was somewhat rifle-compatible, I stuck with it. Shortly afterwards I discovered the joys of dual-wielding pistols and there was no going back. I reached level 87 with this character, but I'll be starting fresh the next time round.

Assuming I'm returning to dual-wielding pistols, is there a better choice of classes than Inq/Demo? Oathkeeper wasn't out when I created my character, so that's an obvious point of consideration.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
What made GD unique and still pretty attractive for me, despite its deviation from TQ in terms of the number of creatures, was the possibility to build the character around two weapon sets and two skill sets. Ranged and melee. Similar damage types, but various distance and various skills. All the more fun, all the more ballet of death!
Very few Diablo-likes do this, actually.
But as soon as the devs announced that they were distancing themselves from this idea, I felt at a loss.
One single thing destroyed half the fun I used to have—some cool-downs related to the first weapon stopped cooling down when you switched to the second one.
That did it for me, sadly.
Still, I must say that much art, atmosphere, and craftsmanship can be seen any given time in this game. It's definitely worthy of the ARPG genre, and for a time, it was for me as well.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom