Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pure soldier kills slow. Or at least slower with same quality of gear. I found him slow and boring.

Renevent

Cipher
Pure soldier has good damage and kills just fine/fast especially given the content/difficulty level we have available at this time. Pure summoner is kick ass too, and so is pure arcanist.

Why would it be problem if he is technically slower than a pure damage class be a problem anyways? Isn't these give/take things what give RPG's flavor and make our choices in building characters more interesting? Yes he doesn't do as much damage (though still does plenty) than a pure DPS class, but he is also a ton tankier. It's give and take.

The reality is all of the pure classes are perfectly viable, though because you only have one class it's going to be obviously more pigeon-holed (soldier more tankly less dps, nightblade more dps less survivability, etc). Multiclassing simply will be more interesting as you have more options and greater ability to fill in gaps (though, at some cost at other skills).

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pure soldier has good damage and kills just fine/fast especially given the content/difficulty level we have available at this time. Pure summoner is kick ass too, and so is pure arcanist.

Why would it be problem if he is technically slower than a pure damage class be a problem anyways? Isn't these give/take things what give RPG's flavor and make our choices in building characters more interesting? Yes he doesn't do as much damage (though still does plenty) than a pure DPS class, but he is also a ton tankier. It's give and take.
There is no pure summoner in this game. Real summoner is combination of Shaman and Occultist (I got one at lvl 50) and that one kicks much more ass than just Occultist (which I tried 2 combinations before Shaman was implemented).

Renevent

Cipher

There is no pure summoner in this game. Real summoner is combination of Shaman and Occultist (I got one at lvl 50) and that one kicks much more ass than just Occultist (which I tried 2 combinations before Shaman was implemented).

I played pure occultist as a pure summoner (no player attacks), so no, there is more than one way. If multiclassing two pet classes together is stronger (which I have done, and well, duh) it doesn't make any difference. Pure occultist as a pure summoner is extremely powerful and perfectly viable.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I played pure occultist as a pure summoner (no player attacks), so no, there is more than one way. If multiclassing two pet classes together is stronger (which I have done, and well, duh) it doesn't make any difference. Pure occultist as a pure summoner is extremely powerful and perfectly viable.
Read back in this topic, I said multiclass characters on average are stronger and better, I didn't say single class ones suck. They are just weaker.
Yea, you can play pure Occultist as kind of a summoner, but real Summoner (Conjurer is ingame name) is much stronger.
I would even say pure Shaman is better summoner than pure Occultist because that lvl 50 Shaman summon is super powerful and has a short cooldown.

Renevent

Cipher

Read back in this topic, I said multiclass characters on average are stronger and better, I didn't say single class ones suck. They are just weaker.
Yea, you can play pure Occultist as kind of a summoner, but real Summoner (Conjurer is ingame name) is much stronger.
I would even say pure Shaman is better summoner than pure Occultist because that lvl 50 Shaman summon is super powerful and has a short cooldown.

Well I was correcting it wasn't a pure summoner, which it is. There's three summoners now (Occultist, Shaman, and Occultist + Shaman). Each of these is viable and actually even if you think Occultist is the weakest, it's still extremely viable and IMO actually a strong class to play.

What's the bottom line for you then? Should every single class be exactly as viable and strong as every other class/combination? I personally think the whole point of these types of games is to find the combinations that exceed the others. I don't see the fact that going only one class, while perfectly viable and ok to do, is weaker than taking combinations that may result in greater killing efficiency is an issue. The entire skill system is built around mixing two classes. I think it's nice the devs ensured each individual class can stand on it's own, so for those who don't want to mix can still play just fine, but you are kinda playing wrong if you want the maximum output and you refuse to take advantage of the skill system.

I guess some of the posts in this thread allude to pure classes sucking or being unplayable (slow kill, boring, etc). Maybe misreading a bit, but either way it's not the case. Pure classes are viable and are some are even pretty damn good. Occultist and the previously mentioned soldier, for instance, can clear anything in the game currently fast and easily.

ArchAngel

Arcane
We were talking how pure classes are weaker than multiclass and if that can be somehow overcome. I just shared my experience with making almost only pure class characters and then when making multiclass seeing multiclass is just superior.

As for slow killing or boring, that does not mean it is a weak character build. It is normal soldiers made as tanky characters are slower than some other classes like shaman/soldier focusing on Two-handers or Dualist/soldier focusing on dual wielding.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm not sure if pure classes being viable is a thing that will exist on the higher difficulty levels. Probably not because you'll be hurting for stats, hard. Anyway, don't forget that Crate promised us that the Devotion system was going to fix single mastery characters. And how! :troll:

Turok

Erudite
i have a soldier since years, i am not sure if continue pure soldier or make multi-class, any recommendation?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pure soldier kills slow. Or at least slower with same quality of gear. I found him slow and boring.

Put retaliation on em.
You would have to put a lot of retaliation for it to be worth it. I rather do more defense or pure damage :D
I hate builds that require specific equipment to work and retaliation is just that. I get my character to lvl 50 and do no additional farming.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You would have to put a lot of retaliation for it to be worth it. I rather do more defense or pure damage :D
I hate builds that require specific equipment to work and retaliation is just that. I get my character to lvl 50 and do no additional farming.
Your loss, you'll be missing out on a lot of build variety. You can go Soldier / Demo for some retaliation buffs, though. The devs did say that builds will be completed with end game / high level gear.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I cannot go demo as we were talking about pure soldier being slow at killing. Also the equipment requiring builds usually only get good after getting to max level and getting some high level gear.
You have to suffer through all the time before that.

Builds that just depend on your class skills and average items you find are fun for much much longer. I am more interested in the journey than the goal.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't really grind for gear either. I just make new doods and accumulate gear, and then I make more new doods based on what items I've found.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I don't really grind for gear either. I just make new doods and accumulate gear, and then I make more new doods based on what items I've found.
Yeah, There is like 15+ one-shot chests that have a guaranteed Epic item in them for every char. So you are guaranteed to get at least 15 of them on every char, and in reality you get way more because later on, epics drop quite often from Hero monsters, to the point that you will run out of stash space if you would want to hoard every epic item you've got.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Devotion shrines also drop phat lewt as well. I've been getting a bunch of epics from them as well. Not always, but quite often enough. Rare components too, which is nice.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, There is like 15+ one-shot chests that have a guaranteed Epic item in them for every char. So you are guaranteed to get at least 15 of them on every char, and in reality you get way more because later on, epics drop quite often from Hero monsters, to the point that you will run out of stash space if you would want to hoard every epic item you've got.
Haha, this happened to me. I filled my shared stash with epics and rare components.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Haha, this happened to me. I filled my shared stash with epics and rare components.
And Crate went with the "No more stash space for you, you cunts!" with some kind of retarded explanation. In mostly singleplayer, lootfest driven arpg, thats pretty stupid decision.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
When is the completed release?
I would guess Q1 2016. There is still an update scheduled for December that introduces legendary items and the rest of ACT 4. After that, they will probably need some time for the final polish before official release. If I was a betting man, I might bet on Feb/March.

When is the completed release?
I would guess Q1 2016. There is still an update scheduled for December that introduces legendary items and the rest of ACT 4. After that, they will probably need some time for the final polish before official release. If I was a betting man, I might bet on Feb/March.

Hope that's the case. I've been waiting for this game since I finished Titan Quest: Immortal Throne.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
And Crate went with the "No more stash space for you, you cunts!" with some kind of retarded explanation. In mostly singleplayer, lootfest driven arpg, thats pretty stupid decision.

Mods will fix it... I hope :negative:

Righgt now I'm giving any phat loot to my other middle level characters which can use it in future.
But mostly the find same stuff with better rolls...

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Mods will fix it... I hope :negative:

Righgt now I'm giving any phat loot to my other middle level characters which can use it in future.
But mostly the find same stuff with better rolls...

Mods fixed it in Titan's Quest, they'll fix it here as well.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mods fixed it in Titan's Quest, they'll fix it here as well.

They did? I only remember some "expanded" stashes that added a little space or TQVault, which was utter shit to use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom