Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

mondblut

Arcane
mondblut I know you're a fan of Naga as frontliner tanks and don't like Giants and Durendil because of their gear issue, but how do you feel about the rest of the other races? Like are vampires too weak most of the time in sunlight to be worht using?

Their charm ability is somewhat useful addition to a bard spamming sleep, but so far a vampire necromancer has proven to be the least useful party member. Besides, his bipolar speed means half the time he acts last, waking up critters my bard and sage have put asleep. Always have you sleep spammer act last.

mondblut

Arcane
Does the 100% in the maps means you found everything including secret areas or can it go higher?

It simply means you were in every cell. It cannot go higher. In terms of secret passages and illusionary walls it does guarantee you nailed everything, but secrets that do not depend on walking where you previously weren't do not account into the percentage. Something like a hidden button that pops up a niche chest in a previously common wall or creates a ladder or chute to optional sublevel.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Their charm ability is somewhat useful addition to a bard spamming sleep, but so far a vampire necromancer has proven to be the least useful party member. Besides, his bipolar speed means half the time he acts last, waking up critters my bard and sage have put asleep. Always have you sleep spammer act last.
Any other comments on the rest?

Like Fairy / Drake / Leonar / Saurian / Drow

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bumped up to one above Novice (can't remember what it is right now) and the only enemy that gave me trouble in the beginning were when 2-3 of those packs of worms would show up.. anything else was easily manageable, and of course when lil rosie joins up they become incredibly easy.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also how does penetration work? Is it based on a particular stat or attribute? I've had the same character performing the same action hit well on one turn and then on the next no penetration, so I assume it's a dice roll of some kind but not sure what affects it.

mondblut

Arcane
You're referring to the menu that comes up when you right click the action icon? I see ASSAY which I assume is identify, but I don't see SCRIBE. Fails to identify everytime even when I have my wizard use the identify spell. I know I must be doing something wrong.

Scribing is done by USE. Casting read magic on the scriber first is helpful.

Identify, different items need different power of the spell. For some you'll have to cast it at 7.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Biggest problem I'm having is with status effects... Cure Light Condition doesn't remove stuff like Paralysis or Insanity, and I just can't find items that heal those.

Also, Shops so far are really shitty... got a ton of money but there's nothing interesting to buy - not even arrows for my archer!

Mortmal

Arcane
Biggest problem I'm having is with status effects... Cure Light Condition doesn't remove stuff like Paralysis or Insanity, and I just can't find items that heal those.

Also, Shops so far are really shitty... got a ton of money but there's nothing interesting to buy - not even arrows for my archer!
You found a bow for your archer ? You lucky lucky man....

bataille

Arcane
Bards, eh?

6pI1epg.jpg

GOD THE FUCKING INVENTORY IS KILLING ME!

IS there at least a key to scroll it? Fucking decline UI.

Dang bards! I found a whistle that invokes shrill sound and goes to a bard's off hand. I dread to think what it's going to be like. 100 in skill is something that you get after what, a hundred hours? Time to shriek all around Crowl with 40 in music...
And yes, a 'sort' button is desperately needed. And faster scroll. And a few extra rows for items to occupy.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
God, the inventory is so shit that it is making me consider quitting.
You'll really appreciate the equipment you get later that allows you to dump several items into them. Some of the greatest treasures in Grimoire are... sacks and scroll cases. +M

You can also dump your excess equipment on the floor somewhere accessible (I chose Smithers in Crowl), and retrieve it if you need something. Although if you don't need it, you can mostly just pawn it.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Some more tips - I killed Mordechai by charming him. It gives him a dazed status and he doesn't attack back. I just kept him charmed and he had way, way more than 100 hps. He only gave xp and gold, no items. Charm is great. He also takes a ot of damage from ice spells.

For bards - it takes me two applications of an instrument to get it to let me attack a different group (2, 3, etc). This helped a lot when I figured it out and could keep other groups asleep instead of eating their hits. So you have to select the instrument and it forces group 1, and then use it again and it will pop up the group little menu selection thing.

Outside town is the easiest mobs yet. I cleared the city first (Crowl) which so far has the hardest mobs, then the two dungeons in Crowl, then went outside. I did it all backwards, but I have an OCD need to completely clear an area before leaving it. That is why I couldn't find the weapon shop in Crawl because I thought the ladder went down to a dungeon so ignored it until the town was cleared.

Andy B

Novice
In Aquavia there are 3 dials in a room, after you kill the Serpent. Is there a hint within this dungeon to solve this?

Edit: There's a poem in the second level that probably is the answer, but currently I'm fighting Shiva-Han-Goromu.

The hint on the poem (sum moon star) does not work for me so I am probably doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Were there any in-game hints about how to get to the southern area of Shrine of the Raptor? I just did it by accident Show Spoiler put the owl figurine in the alcove but would like to know if there was something I missed.

I think there are a couple illusory walls there that you can just step through.

1.How do you class change you party members when they get the stats they need? 2. I have 2 people diseased and 1 paralyzed I have been to mid knight gardens and crowl village where can I get them healed?

1. On the character screen, there is a question mark next to the class name, which is greyed out. I guess when you reach level 10, you can click on it to multiclass or change classes.
2. If you started in the wilderness, stand in front of a bush and 'Look' (search). That gives you apples that heal diseases.

Dark Elf

Erudite
Can anybody tell me what happens when you equip the ring?

It depends. Provided you stick your finger in it before you enter Retardoland, and complete the puzzle (the runes are "And" + "Hair" + "A"), it allows you to cast the Detect Butthurt spell and in the journal it links you to an article from The Economist which is the key to understanding Kingcomrade. Discuss!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Does the 100% in the maps means you found everything including secret areas or can it go higher?

In the journal you also have a separate stat for secret area percentage for each map.

Are the other starting areas viable for a beginning party like they were in Wizardry VII?

Don't know how easy it is, but Cleve says the Sanctuary gives you the biggest initial advantage. There is some sort of advanced weapon you can get there.

The skull I got from the first area I awoke in sells for 8k (Skull of Hathor Sogg), I'm holding on to it as the price makes me think it is important maybe.

I think you can revive the skull and have an NPC. Cleve also mentioned that this skull gives access to powerful gear later on.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You'll really appreciate the equipment you get later that allows you to dump several items into them. Some of the greatest treasures in Grimoire are... sacks and scroll cases.

Talking about scroll cases, my scroll case just vanished... with all the scrolls in it. Minor micro issue, right?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Is Little Rosy in the Garden of Midnight? Or am I mixing up that wilderness area with another one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom