Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, that seems to be how it works. Apparently you can only get the journal entries afterwards by showing the items to an NPC or an oracle.

Hint: there is at least one NPC who seems to know every item, although he ain't very easy to reach...

mondblut

Arcane
Yeah, here is the relevant part:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 23 hours ago

Frustrating to test the heck out of it, then still have it not work. I just thought of a reason that could be failing. It might be that the savegame data for the NPC is actually overwriting the revised data loaded at the start of a new game. I might add a small hack to fix this in next update.

Bummer. The game's running from .22. Only encountered him for the first time in .25, though.

Oh well, hex-edited Wolf's Ring in and proceeded with the schedule.

Kayerts

Arcane
Here's a list of all the Arcanum spells and what they do; there might be a few Eldritch ones I'm missing.

Rainbow Rays: 3d6 per level + random effects, vs. a group of up to 6.
Destroyer Vortex: 6d8 per level + random effects vs. all
Deadly Blades: 10d8 per level
Recharge: Recharges, per level of spell. Doesn't seem to work at the moment.
Matter clone: Creates additional units of stackable items.
Astral Travel: Transports party to another plane. Never did anything for me; I assume it's plot-relevant. E: Looks like it doesn't work for anyone.
Etherwarp: Does low-ish (for Arcana) damage against astral creatures.

Teleport and Dimension Door are paired spells, like Might and Magic's Lloyd's Beacon.
Dimension Door: The set to Teleport's return.
Teleport: The set to Dimension Door's return.

Mirror Mirage: Absorbs and can reflect gaze attacks or other magic requiring a line of sight between caster and castee.
Invisibility: Turns party invisible, "makes them virtually immune to attack, because none of the enemies can see the character."
Illusion: Creates an illusion of a powerful entity to aid your party in combat; enemies might disbelieve.
Hermetic Gag: Silences a group.
Protect vs. Plants: Repelling field vs. all plant attacks
Power Nimbus: Restores hit points, vitality, and morale to entire party.

Note: Most of the Arcanum spellbooks are bugged when they're spawned, so you'll have to use the drop-pick up-assay trick to reset.

Last edited:

Nixheb

Arcane
How do you open the gate into the "Acme vending company" near the entrance ? Also, what's the use of the teleporter in this level ?

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I think Cleve said somewhere that it's not implemented (yet?).

Q'uorl was supposed to be your guide in the astral plane IIRC.

Morblot

Patron
God damnit, I really had my hopes up when he told me see you there

I agree. Maybe Cleve will implement it in V3 or Grimoire II.

He might also put the ninth tablet in the game and put it there.
And he could fix the goddamn hints about the locations of the tables, dammit; one of them threw me off so badly I had to spoil myself with felipepepe's map to see what I was missing - turns out the hint was completely off.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
If I continue with journal entries set to on, will the journal be missing important quest information and hints?

The feature seems to suggest you don't need to take many notes yourself.

Viata

Arcane
God damnit, I really had my hopes up when he told me see you there

I agree. Maybe Cleve will implement it in V3 or Grimoire II.

He might also put the ninth tablet in the game and put it there.
And he could fix the goddamn hints about the locations of the tables, dammit; one of them threw me off so badly I had to spoil myself with felipepepe's map to see what I was missing - turns out the hint was completely off.
The ninth tablet, Thanatos, is in the game, though. You use it in the last dungeon.

Kayerts

Arcane
Recharge: Recharges, per level of spell

Does it even work? Tried to cast it, "nothing happens", no item selection. Having a charged item in alter hand doesn't do nothing either.

If it works, I couldn't figure out how. Phrasing of spell made me think it might work only on fully depleted items, but, nope, not even on them. Looks like it's been reported as a bug a few times.

ukdouble1

Educated
After the incident with Argosyre, I began to doubt the adequacy of the author. I think many were surprised by this situation. Did Cleve himself write something about this? Is it supposed that the townspeople knew about the sacrifices?

Kayerts

Arcane
Are there any other mana regen items, other than
Kraken controlling helmet (Mollusk Master)
?

Edit:
Received the answer in the general thread. Apparently, Golden Armor also has mana regen.

There's also:

Farulosonoth's Staff, one of the perk items from the Samhain Mausoleum. The regen boost is significant.

Ukdouble1 wrote:

It's curious that this is what made you doubt the author, since the plot you propose is used in a well-known and acclaimed science fiction story.

Cleve does talk about it here.

I don't think it's explicitly stated whether the villagers knew about it, or if it was just the Crusade Temple; the latter seems more likely. One of the reasons Argosyre cites for the deception is preserving Saint George's reputation. It's been mentioned that Crowl's reason for existence was as a village for pilgrims headed to the tomb, so the villagers might have some reason to participate. On the other hand, Raghilda knows her sister was last seen poking around the Crusade Temple, which would be a very odd thing to let her do if she knew. And if you haven't killed the Horror when come up through the pools, Argosyre attacks you to keep you from telling anyone. At this point, the only friendly characters in the accessible part of the game are people in Crowl, so it seems likeliest that he's worried about you telling them. Also, Mistral's ghost implies the temple specifically is to blame.

PEACH

Arbiter
I taught a character deadly blades from a spell book and it didn't show up in their list of spells afterward nor is it visible in combat

Bug or what?

ukdouble1

Educated
Thx for answer.
And if you
haven't killed the Horror when come up through the pools, Argosyre attacks you to keep you from telling anyone.

But, firstly,
I killed Horror (the Argosyre replied that he would return anyway), and, secondly, the party should be able to tell the townspeople about the actions of the Argosyre. Or, if the townspeople knew about the sacrifices, the party should be able to find out about it (then the murders of the townspeople by my party will not seem absurd to me)

PEACH

Arbiter
Did Cleve himself write something about this?

This is what Cleve had to say on the matter

Do you think it is pretentious to say that Village of Crowl is based on real life? People always seem to have some horrible compromise they are willing to accept but it is forbidden to talk about because if they thought about it some more they'd realize they should not accept it. How much honest talk do you think the public could handle about the drones they pay for in the middle east floating around over remote areas killing unarmed women and children all day? Is it really any worse than feeding the occasional tourist to a demon to keep him belowground like they do in Crowl? I actually thought that the Village of Crowl is the least fantastic part of Grimoire for this reason. Technically, the only troublemakers in Crowl are the Heralds, who interfere with the natural order of things there.

The Vanguard is there to locate the "Owl Artifact" and they simply try to fit in with the locals. If the locals have had this custom of placating the demon for centuries then they do not think it is their business to interfere as long as the locals cooperate with them. If they cared about the Village they would probably start by taking the fire breathing bugs and singing murder hobos off the streets.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I taught a character deadly blades from a spell book and it didn't show up in their list of spells afterward nor is it visible in combat

Bug or what?

I can't even find that spell in my game or on the wiki. Is it an eldritch spell? If so you'd have to unlock the spell tab before being able to use it.

Last edited:

PEACH

Arbiter

Bug or what?

I can't even find that spell in my game or on the wiki. Is it an eldritch spell? If you you'd have to unlock the spell tab before being able to use it.

It may be double blades? I thought it was but I was going off the list of spells above. It's arcane and the tab is unlocked. Can't even check my game since it's as if the spell doesn't exist now that I read the book

Kayerts

Arcane

Bug or what?

It's an eldritch spell. You have to unlock that page of your spellbook with a specific action. You've already had the ability to do that by the time you can find that book, so ask if you want to know how to do that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom