Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Grimoire Updates

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Grimoire updates?

R00fles!

MCA
shihonage said:
Looks like he ran into the same sort of problems that made me spend a year on an automated quest/dialogue compiler.

After scripting the first 2-3 semi-playable quests suddenly I realized that all the scripting and checking became unmanageable ALREADY. That was fun.

What kind of custom tools and charts were you using?

After having seen all the iterations of construction set for Bethesda games and how unnecessarily convoluted dialogue and quest logic were provided, I get the feeling that the majority problem with RPGs is the lack of streamlined tools to automate this process efficiently. But maybe I'm just way too clueless and optimistic.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
villain of the story said:
shihonage said:
Looks like he ran into the same sort of problems that made me spend a year on an automated quest/dialogue compiler.

After scripting the first 2-3 semi-playable quests suddenly I realized that all the scripting and checking became unmanageable ALREADY. That was fun.

After having seen all the iterations of construction set for Bethesda games and how unnecessarily convoluted dialogue and quest logic were provided, I get the feeling that the majority problem with RPGs is the lack of streamlined tools to automate this process efficiently. But maybe I'm just way too clueless and optimistic.

He calls it Zorlag.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53366

Esquilax

Arcane
curry said:
Wouldn't it be awesome if he just deleted everything in a temper tantrum?

Deleting would imply that he created something to begin with. :smug:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Cleve said:
it’s too popamole.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore,

The phrase "popamole" is copyrighted. You are in violation of illegal use of this phrase and are hereby warned to cease and desist lest action be taken against you and your firm.

Failure to comply will result in severe multitentacled ramifications, in addition to a personal visit by certain Lithuanian professionals. Trust us, you don't want that.

Cordially,

RPGCodex.net

Johannes

Arcane
Crispy said:
Cleve said:
it’s too popamole.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore,

The phrase "popamole" is copyrighted. You are in violation of illegal use of this phrase and are hereby warned to cease and desist lest action be taken against you and your firm.

Failure to comply will result in severe multitentacled ramifications, in addition to a personal visit by certain Lithuanian professionals. Trust us, you don't want that.

Cordially,

RPGCodex.net
Also, popamole doesn't really fit to describe level scaling.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Davaris said:

Wow, you remembered!

@villain: Without automation things get very hairy and can no longer be done by a team of one (if at all).

My utility compiles quest and dialogue into my scripting language. It is NOT very intuitive. It looks like a giant spreadsheet with a few more windows around it. But it takes care of a number of things by itself, such as scripting of specific types of quests, handling of multiple quests, handling of quests you completed "by accident" before NPC gave them to you(it's rough but better than nothing), dialogue branches dependent on your in-game achievements, etc.

It also generates a cruddy HTML report which lists general locations, their descriptions, and where each character is.

Stabwound

Arcane
I still think that the whole thing is a complete bullshit fabrication along with the "updates" he posts about once in a while.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
shihonage said:

Davaris said:

Wow, you remembered!

@villain: Without automation things get very hairy and can no longer be done by a team of one (if at all).

My utility compiles quest and dialogue into my scripting language. It is NOT very intuitive. It looks like a giant spreadsheet with a few more windows around it. But it takes care of a number of things by itself, such as scripting of specific types of quests, handling of multiple quests, handling of quests you completed "by accident" before NPC gave them to you(it's rough but better than nothing), dialogue branches dependent on your in-game achievements, etc.

It also generates a cruddy HTML report which lists general locations, their descriptions, and where each character is.
Are you making a game 10 times bigger than Fallout or something like that?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Maybe Grimoire the game doesn't exist. Maybe the game is the codex reading about Cleve writing about programming an rpg called Grimoire.

At the end of the year, Cleve Mark Blakemore will release a book on Amazon titled "Grimoire - A Game that Never Was", a postmodern tale of writing about a game that did not exist. There will be no coupon code for rpgcodex members.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
I wish Cleve still posted here so he could tell us how we aren't allowed to purchase the game when it comes out.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Davaris said:
Automation of quest generation is a fascinating subject and I'm surprised so few game makers are talking about it. IMO it is the Holy Grail of CRPG creation.

This isn't automation of quest generation. I create the content myself. It just compiles it into the actual gameplay. I'm afraid true "automatically generated quests" would be too generic to bother with at this point.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Are you making a game 10 times bigger than Fallout or something like that?

Fallout team used internal content editing tools as well. Mine DO MORE, because they have to. I'm not a team paid to do this 40 hours a week, but one guy working to create something of enormous complexity in his spare time. Anything that shortens anything here is a blessing.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
shihonage said:
This isn't automation of quest generation. I create the content myself. It just compiles it into the actual gameplay. I'm afraid true "automatically generated quests" would be too generic to bother with at this point.

By auto I don't mean it generates as the game is played, but that is possible. What I meant, is you can layout a structure for your game quickly and the code is generated at the push of a button. Then you can customize your code later, as you seem to be able to do in Zorlag.

I was reading a book a while back, called Morphology of the Folktale, which touched on this subject. The author thought it was possible to break any folk tale down into irreducible components and these components could be used to create stories of infinite variety. Of course there are writers that disagree and say motivations are more important, but there are still others that say his system works.

After reading his book, I am convinced that quests, plots etc, can be broken down into a finite set of components and these components can be arranged in a tree structure, to create unique games.

If you are interested, the author of Morphology of the Folktale, is Vladimir Propp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Propp

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Davaris said:
By auto I don't mean it generates as the game is played, but that is possible. What I meant, is you can layout a structure for your game quickly and the code is generated at the push of a button. Then you can customize your code later, as you seem to be able to do in Zorlag.

I was reading a book a while back, called Morphology of the Folktale, which touched on this subject. The author thought it was possible to break any folk tale down into irreducible components and these components could be used to create stories of infinite variety. Of course there are writers that disagree and say motivations are more important, but there are still others that say his system works.

After reading his book, I am convinced that quests, plots etc, can be broken down into a finite set of components and these components can be arranged in a tree structure, to create unique games.

Yes, I'm trying to do something like this as well. Fallout did it to a lesser degree than I'm trying to accomplish, but it was there too. A combination of conditional pre-written state changes creates an overall semi-unique experience which yet can be loosely contained within the larger plot.

Maybe ;)

Mortmal

Arcane
Judas said:
I wish Cleve still posted here so he could tell us how we aren't allowed to purchase the game when it comes out.

He never discussed about his game a single time here , nothing about game mechanisms or story whatever. Just about fluoride in water , his proud neanderthalians ancestors and off course machette nigger gangs eating babies (that when they arent sodomizing chickens).

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Mortmal said:
Just about fluoride in water , his proud neanderthalians ancestors and off course machette nigger gangs eating babies (that when they arent sodomizing chickens).

better than Derek Smart at least

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom