Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grrrr... RockPaperShotgun talk about angry nerd-rage in 2008

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Rock Paper Shotgun have listed <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/12/17/top-10-angry-internet-man-angerers-of-2008/">the top 10 things that made internet nerd-rage this year</a> and then basically dismissed them all. Here are the 3 slightly-RPG relevant bits:
<blockquote><b>10. Diablo 3 has colours shocker</b>: About the most ridiculous protest of the year, and one that makes me fear for developers’ perceptions of PC gamers. Oh no - long-awaited RPG is slightly more colourful than its predecessors. STOP WHINING. Fair play to Blizzard for actually responding to the irate fans with their reasoning for the change, though were I in their shoes I would, I suspect, refuse to stoop to that level.

<b>7. Bethesda Are Worse Than Hitler</b>: There’s been a slow trickle of poison throughout the year about Bethesda handling the second sequel to the old turn-based Fallout RPGs. Surprisingly, the fury was at its worst before release rather than after, with die-hard Fallout fans harshly and bitterly pre-judging the game based on what they saw as Oblivion’s critical failings and resentment that a 2008 game wasn’t 2D, turn-based and PC-only. Extreme exaggeration was everywhere, Bethesda suffered any amount of name-calling and every screenshot was pored over for inconsistencies with the first two Fallouts. Celebration that a third Fallout was happening at all was in incredibly short supply. The white noise of hatred actually seemed to dim upon the game’s release. While it’s got more than its fair share of problems - especially the crashtastic PC port - a goodly number of the angries seemed pleasantly surprised by it. Well, at least until they got to the abysmal ending.

<b>4. Bioshock Ate My Children</b>: By rights, this should have been 2007’s problem. Unfortunately, it remained (remains?) an open wound for a certain breed of gamer. Many had treated it as the last, best hope of intelligent shooters, and when it turned out to be a stylised corridor-pounder that stopped making sense two thirds of the way through and climaxed with one of the more embarrassing boss fights of recent times, a lot of folk felt betrayed. It’s hard to deny - unless you’re Mad Kieron - that Levine & chums’ shooter pulled far too many punches, but the irrational (pun entirely intended) rage of so many people at the mere mention of its name, even months later, totally overshadowed what it did do very well, in terms of atmosphere, setting, horror and early narrative cleverness. Calm down, dears. Believe it or not, Levine didn’t specifically design the game to offend your sensibilities. Oh - and that it was one of the first games to employ limited-installation DRM horror was a slap in the face that hasn’t yet stopped stinging. The game dodged 0-day piracy because of it, and it’s more than likely it’s thus one of the main precedents for all the Securom punishments of this year’s games.</blockquote>
So while Diablo 3 is more colourful than your grandma's curtains, Fallout 3 is still a mediocre Oblivion clone and BioShock was quite disappointing, we should all be happy the games were made in the first place and give thanks this year for game developers. Raeg.

Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">rpgWATCH</a>

pkt-zer0

Scholar
They seem to have missed the outrage towards CDProjekt robbing everyone blind with their paid patch silliness.

racofer

Thread Incliner
We should be grateful developers devote their times to please us, while depriving their families and loved ones from their company, all in our name. Let's not forget, these artists are sensible creatures, whose only motivation in life is to express their artistic capabilities through the digital media to please people like you and me, yes, we codexers are also loved by them.

Despite the fact most of us acquire the games without physically removing it from their inventories, never forget they have families to feed and bills to pay, and every time they release a patch for free we should be forever grateful of their benevolence and good will.

Long live, enlightened game developers of today.

RandomLurker

Scholar
Re: Grrrr... RockPaperShotgun talk about angry nerd-rage in

DarkUnderlord said:
Celebration that a third Fallout was happening at all was in incredibly short supply.

Maybe because it wasn't and now it never will, but hey...

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Top 10 articles suck, we should make our own article listing the worst top ten articles of the year.

This will be number eleven.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't remember anyone saying Bethesda is worse than Hitler, but say what you will about Hitler, he never made a total shit game (to my knowledge). And hey, he inspired all those Call of Duty and Medal of Honor games...

Conversely Bethesda hasn't tried any genocide that I know of, so at best it's a wash, at worse they're still not as bad as Hitler

Tails

Arbiter
pkt-zer0 said:
They seem to have missed the outrage towards CDProjekt robbing everyone blind with their paid patch silliness.
You mean Witcher Extended patch? it's available for free, many times it was said.
Try Harder.

Shannow

Waster of Time
10. STOP BUYING. Fair play to Blizzard for actually responding to the irate fans with their reasoning for the change, though were I in their shoes I would, I suspect, refuse to make money.
Fixed

7. Celebration that a third Fallout was happening at all was in incredibly short supply. The white noise of hatred actually seemed to dim upon the game’s release.
Might be because there is no FO3 but a game that calls itself FO3...
The "white noise of hatred" was in high amounts constructive criticism. When the game is finished there is no use anymore (And many people liked the "game" better than expected. I don't remember anyone calling it a good sequel.).

4. Bioshock
Ah, atmosphere is important in BS but not in D3... Yawn.

I should stop reading internet gaming <s>crap</s> journalism. It's worse than browsing the codex...

Worm King

Scholar
HanoverF said:
I don't remember anyone saying Bethesda is worse than Hitler, but say what you will about Hitler, he never made a total shit game (to my knowledge). And hey, he inspired all those Call of Duty and Medal of Honor games...

Conversely Bethesda hasn't tried any genocide that I know of, so at best it's a wash, at worse they're still not as bad as Hitler

Have you forgotten about the Great Purge of Bethesda Forums? :tearofaneagle:

Longshanks

Augur
HanoverF said:

Yeah, but what does genocide have to do with gaming? In the context of video games, Bethesda really is worse than Hitler, and you didn't even mention Wolfenstein.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
pkt-zer0 said:
I smell pillowpants the pussy troll.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Tails said:
pkt-zer0 said:
You mean Witcher Extended patch? it's available for free, many times it was said.
Try Harder.
Next time I'll remember to write "SARCASM WARNING" at the start of the post. FUCK SUBTLETY

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hm, author of this article is just a desparate idiot who defends game developers, but don't write anything new, I saw these arguments hundred times (especially STOP WHINING one ;) ) on forums. Nothing interesting. Doesn't even worth of posting in this shithole called aeRPeGeCodex.

Tails

Arbiter
pkt-zer0 said:
Tails said:
pkt-zer0 said:
Try Harder.
Next time I'll remember to write "SARCASM WARNING" at the start of the post. FUCK SUBTLETY

Same here, and I luv u to.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
"7. Bethesda Are Worse Than Hitler"

Given the amount of Nazis on this forum I'd assume a lot of you unironically agree with this.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Sure there are many here who are constantly shifting between denial and glorification of the Holocaust :: but does that already make them Nazis???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom