Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Diablo II did summoning better imo. Low/no maintenance, quicker, more gory and satisfying corpse exploits. In GW, I'd much rather do curses or spam wells of power all over the place with blood magic and outsource summoning to the npcs. It's less busywork.
But playing a summoner in D2 was extremely dull, like it is in basically all hack and slashers, unlike in GW1.
Other way around, in my opinion. I found skeleton necromancer in Diablo 2 a lot more fun than GW MM builds. Especially because of the whole "minions decompose over time" shit which is just balance by tedium. In both cases you're mostly just watching your minions engage in combat while you fire off one or two combat skills periodically, but in GW you also have the whole problem that you have to either keep casting Blood of the Master all the time, or enter combat with most/all of your minions dead and you have to wait until the enemy is already dying to get more of them. I like spirit builds a lot better in that regard because you can get your spirits up at the start of combat.

Diablo 2 has Corpse Explosion and teleporting to bring all your minions with you in a massive melee ball to attack things. Not really much contest. The interesting gameplay part of GW1 necro is curses, especially those that you can combo with minions. Leaving the MMing to a hero is how most play I expect.

Yes, sounds like he was 12 to 14 back then. Thinking on it, it's kinda weird how leetspeak died such a quiet death around 2010/11? I remember hearing the "OWNED/FAIL/NOOB/WOOT!" shit everywhere. RIP to that bit of Millenialsprach.

Black

Arcane
zKIJRWK.jpeg

I love this so much.

Black

Arcane
mAjI0Ct.jpeg

Another GW birthday is upon us, this time is the 19th, and it marks yet another period of Vaettir holocaust.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, sounds like he was 12 to 14 back then. Thinking on it, it's kinda weird how leetspeak died such a quiet death around 2010/11? I remember hearing the "OWNED/FAIL/NOOB/WOOT!" shit everywhere. RIP to that bit of Millenialsprach.
It's quite bit older than millenial shift though, I remember 1337 sp33k was present in amiga demos, already.

Leet_31337_h4x0r.jpg

Hell Swarm

Educated
It's quite bit older than millenial shift though, I remember 1337 sp33k was present in amiga demos, already.

Leet_31337_h4x0r.jpg
I blame smart phones. Auto correct ruined everything.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm kinda hoping they do a rebalance on the 20th anniversary because mesmers are too op and have been op for a decade now.

If they did such a thing, I think of all the classes, Ranger needs the most work in PvE, especially end game. Literally better off as shitty budget dagger spam in the current build rather than using their own skills, with the exception of TAO support perhaps. Many Bow abilities are too expensive energy-wise, preparations and nature spirits take too fucking long to activate and old go-tos like splinter/ignite are spent too quick and are too situational. Hell, wouldn't it be cool if trapping was viable for something?

Lacrymas

Arcane
My main is a mesmer, so I'm not qq-ing. Well, I kinda am because the best parties atm consist of 8 mesmers, which isn't very cool.

Hell Swarm

Educated
How OP can any single class be in a party of 8? Unless you have specific builds to farm specific areas you're likely not doing exceptional well compared to any other decent build. Ranger is still procing a lot of status across a group of enemies even if it's "weak"

Lacrymas

Arcane
How OP can any single class be in a party of 8?
Mesmers have 2 things that make them op - fast casting and armor-ignoring damage. Fast casting is super good in general, so a party of 8 primary mesmers is going to do better than a mixed bag of primary casters whose special attributes are overall meh. And *all* mesmer skills ignore armor, which makes them the highest DPS class in the game. Some people have speculated that this is a bug because mesmer skills don't have assigned damage types, like *some* necro skills (which also ignore armor because of it).

Black

Arcane
There's certainly diminishing returns to having a lot of mesmers. At some point you're better swapping 2 mesmers in your party for a melee with a support rit with Strength of Honor and Splinter Weapon.

As a Ranger main who has henched everything pre-heroes and then hero/henched everything afterwards pre mesmer buffs, git fucking good you casuals.

If there's anything that's OP it's Splinter Weapon. LMAO prebuff for 200 damage AoE then immediately buff again for another 200 damage. The only impediment to PvE dominance with physicals is you have to first micro spirit weapon and hero physicals are stupid tards so you can't double up the damage. Also its armor ignoring. Like half the skills in the game are armor ignoring, it's not a bug, this includes around 95% of attack skills.

Granted if splinter weapon didn't exist a lot of physicals would be underpowered in AoE capacity, it basically carries half the classes in the game.

As a Ranger main who has henched everything pre-heroes and then hero/henched everything afterwards pre mesmer buffs, git fucking good you casuals.
Did exactly the same thing, ranger was my first class and it was underwhelming. Splinter is only good if you can consistently cluster enemies, rarely happens in PVE, certainly not with henchmen skill bars. Physical heroes are indeed worthless, especially rangers and warriors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom