Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Post current teambuild? Without knowing the skills you have available I'd at least say get Panic in there if you have it, it substantially reduces enemy damage ouput.
thank you, after changing my build to include panic and meteor for KD i managed to do that and another titan quest.
i had not panic already because i was planning to get that in the final titan quest, but i redid half of hell precipice to capture that and mind burn
Panic did wonders but the quest in maguuma seemed a bit rng as if i would lose or not. the key was to keep the second generation titans alive as much as possible to avoid them generating 3 elementalist.
now to the last quest of the questline we go.
i will post my build soon

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
OQZDApwDCas7GocROZQD Mine
OwAT043A5BAUSyI0VQSMxiUXBA Ogden
OwAS8YIHzEA1rirMmBUl Talkhora
OQBDAqwDCnowB5cRG9gC Gwen
OgBDkoysOvichwYsaMQG4CaB Susuke
OgmkcWp8Kxuj0NAPgFvlX77+VDD MOX

To be noted these are not definitive build but changing and adapting to progress the game and when i acquire more skills

Since you do not want to have a premade build handed to you, I'm going to focus on where I see specific skills that could be replaced and why, rather than just dumping replacement builds on you. Actually, most of your existing builds are fairly solid already, so you're better off just tuning them as you go along and could just as easily ignore everything I say and be perfectly fine. Ogden's build is the only real exception.

OQZDApwDCas7GocROZQD
I'm assuming Meteor is there for knockdown rather than damage. With Panic added to your build you probably have enough general suppression already. You might want to go Monk secondary and add a hard res, see below.
Ether Feast is good in Pre-Searing, bad once you have a party. Your Monk(s) should be doing the healing. I would recommend replacing it, again, with another interrupt or damage skill.
No other real feedback to make, it's a good Mesmer build.

OwAT043A5BAUSyI0VQSMxiUXBA
Light of Deliverance is ok, everything else here is pretty bad.
OwAS8YIHzEA1rirMmBUl
This is actually not too bad.

I main Monk so I'll go into detail here, unlike with the others. So when designing a hybrid monk build (the preferred Monk build) you generally want the following: one power heal, one minor heal, one spot protection for rapid incoming damage, one heavier protection skill for high pressure, condition removal, hex removal (if you have to pick between one or the other, take hex removal), some form of energy management, and Aegis, unless you have some other source of party-wide block.

I actually usually take all my healing in one elite skill, Glimmer of Life (since it covers spot healing and you can also spam it), but generally speaking (and in the case of heroes) a good pairing is Word of Healing and some minor healing skill like Patient Spirit or Dwayna's Kiss.

You have Mend Ailment on Tahlkora's bar, which is good although Dismiss Condition is the best if you've invested in Protection Prayers already. I would take either of those skills and put it into Ogden's bar to replace Purge Conditions. Purge Conditions is very situational and its long recharge makes it not too good. I'm assuming you were going for synergy between Martyr and Purge. Which actually makes sense if your entire party was getting hit by shittons of conditions, but I don't know how well the AI would micro those skills and suspect such conditions are rare outside of, say, Mandragors in EotN.

I'd get some hex removal in there; Cure Hex is best if you've invested in healing prayers but Remove Hex is also solid and is No Attribute. In some cases RH is better. It doesn't heal, but it recharges as fast as you're going to get for most hex removal.
Shielding Hands, Reversal of Fortune, and Aegis are all great.
Healing Breeze is terrible in general PvE and I'd get rid of it.

For Tahlkora, since you're going with protection/condition removal theme here, I'd replace Martyr with Restore Conditions. You can get that one in the Ring of Fire and it's actually a really good skill that'll be a lot more flexible than Martyr. I'd set her secondary to Mesmer, throw six points into Inspiration Magic, and add Power Drain and Leech Signet to her bar, and ditch Resurrect.

A monk should never carry a res skill; any other party member can fit one by going Monk secondary in but Monk bars are generally at a premium for space. Most professions I can make a build and be at some leisure on what goes into my last few open slots. With Monk I am always plagued with the dilemma on how to compress everything I need into just eight skill slots. Monk has no room for res.

As I mentioned above your slot currently taken by Meteor would be a good candidate. This is doubly good because as a human you can probably escape from a potential party wipe better than the AI could, and then get everyone ressed. You'll also probably handle in-combat resurrection better.

For Ogden, it's kind of hard to suggest improving the existing build because I would replace every skill on it, personally. I'd go back to the Crystal Desert and grab Word of Healing. Add another heal for backup like Patient Spirit or Dwayna's Kiss. Skip condition removal if you do plan to run RC on Tahlkora, but fit Remove Hex in there. A couple of energy management skills. Tahlkora has SH and PS already, so maybe Shield of Absorption and Guardian on the Ogden, if you are ok with a hybrid build. Possibly Signet of Rejuvenation. I never like to run pure Healing Builds besides sometimes a UA hero, and UA is as cookie cutter shit as it gets.

OQBDAqwDCnowB5cRG9gC
I'd drop Hex Breaker and Mantra of Flame, same goes for Ether Feast. For the same reasons described on your build - leave defense to your monks, and have your Mesmers focus on dishing out as much damage as possible. And again there build is otherwise pretty solid. I'd focus on getting more damage dealing interrupts in there. Between Power Drain and Leech Signet the build has enough energy to support them.

OgBDkoysOvichwYsaMQG4CaB
Probably fine for now. I'm not a fan of Mind Burn, but it's not bad either. Sometimes, especially lategame, it can be hard to have more energy than many AI enemies, which would be my only real concern with that one. Most of the elite skills I'd use on an Elementalist hero are later in Nightfall.

OgmkcWp8Kxuj0NAPgFvlX77+VDD

No comment other than that I personally try to avoid using melee heroes; the AI isn't good at the role. I can't really offer any feedback because I haven't really played Dervish since the update and I don't know what constitutes good build design for that profession, especially for a hero. I would replace with another profession when able. You don't actually need a melee character in your party and most people these days do just run pure caster parties unless they themselves are a melee profession.

Last edited:

ultra loser

Scholar

:negative:

I regret playing as a generic warrior instead of ranger, mesmer or assassin. I was never good at this game, never had much gold and didn't manage to farm any ectos in FoW or underworld or whatever it was called but somehow I still enjoyed the game and the comfy events. Beetle racing was cool.

Do you guys remember when you could bet on PvP teams and win zaishen keys? I made most of my gold on that but I remember once when selling keys and asking for 80k dude kept cancelling the transaction like 10 times and that make me not look at the amount he offered and just click accept furiously and he scammed me giving me 8k in the end.
:mixedemotions:

They should make GW available for free so more people would play, maybe that would make me try it again.

Do characters still get miniatures for every year? I wonder how many unopened presents I have now.

warriors are cool. hammer knockdown/interrupts builds, conditions spreading axe, infinite adrenaline sword... and these are just "mono warrior" builds.
of course you're going to be brutally assraped by the first mesmer passing by, but who isn't?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Since you do not want to have a premade build handed to you, I'm going to focus on where I see specific skills that could be replaced and why, rather than just dumping replacement builds on you. Actually, most of your existing builds are fairly solid already, so you're better off just tuning them as you go along and could just as easily ignore everything I say and be perfectly fine. Ogden's build is the only real exception.

OQZDApwDCas7GocROZQD
I'm assuming Meteor is there for knockdown rather than damage. With Panic added to your build you probably have enough general suppression already. You might want to go Monk secondary and add a hard res, see below.
Ether Feast is good in Pre-Searing, bad once you have a party. Your Monk(s) should be doing the healing. I would recommend replacing it, again, with another interrupt or damage skill.
No other real feedback to make, it's a good Mesmer build.

OwAT043A5BAUSyI0VQSMxiUXBA
Light of Deliverance is ok, everything else here is pretty bad.
OwAS8YIHzEA1rirMmBUl
This is actually not too bad.

I main Monk so I'll go into detail here, unlike with the others. So when designing a hybrid monk build (the preferred Monk build) you generally want the following: one power heal, one minor heal, one spot protection for rapid incoming damage, one heavier protection skill for high pressure, condition removal, hex removal (if you have to pick between one or the other, take hex removal), some form of energy management, and Aegis, unless you have some other source of party-wide block.

I actually usually take all my healing in one elite skill, Glimmer of Life (since it covers spot healing and you can also spam it), but generally speaking (and in the case of heroes) a good pairing is Word of Healing and some minor healing skill like Patient Spirit or Dwayna's Kiss.

You have Mend Ailment on Tahlkora's bar, which is good although Dismiss Condition is the best if you've invested in Protection Prayers already. I would take either of those skills and put it into Ogden's bar to replace Purge Conditions. Purge Conditions is very situational and its long recharge makes it not too good. I'm assuming you were going for synergy between Martyr and Purge. Which actually makes sense if your entire party was getting hit by shittons of conditions, but I don't know how well the AI would micro those skills and suspect such conditions are rare outside of, say, Mandragors in EotN.

I'd get some hex removal in there; Cure Hex is best if you've invested in healing prayers but Remove Hex is also solid and is No Attribute. In some cases RH is better. It doesn't heal, but it recharges as fast as you're going to get for most hex removal.
Shielding Hands, Reversal of Fortune, and Aegis are all great.
Healing Breeze is terrible in general PvE and I'd get rid of it.

For Tahlkora, since you're going with protection/condition removal theme here, I'd replace Martyr with Restore Conditions. You can get that one in the Ring of Fire and it's actually a really good skill that'll be a lot more flexible than Martyr. I'd set her secondary to Mesmer, throw six points into Inspiration Magic, and add Power Drain and Leech Signet to her bar, and ditch Resurrect.

A monk should never carry a res skill; any other party member can fit one by going Monk secondary in but Monk bars are generally at a premium for space. Most professions I can make a build and be at some leisure on what goes into my last few open slots. With Monk I am always plagued with the dilemma on how to compress everything I need into just eight skill slots. Monk has no room for res.

As I mentioned above your slot currently taken by Meteor would be a good candidate. This is doubly good because as a human you can probably escape from a potential party wipe better than the AI could, and then get everyone ressed. You'll also probably handle in-combat resurrection better.

For Ogden, it's kind of hard to suggest improving the existing build because I would replace every skill on it, personally. I'd go back to the Crystal Desert and grab Word of Healing. Add another heal for backup like Patient Spirit or Dwayna's Kiss. Skip condition removal if you do plan to run RC on Tahlkora, but fit Remove Hex in there. A couple of energy management skills. Tahlkora has SH and PS already, so maybe Shield of Absorption and Guardian on the Ogden, if you are ok with a hybrid build. Possibly Signet of Rejuvenation. I never like to run pure Healing Builds besides sometimes a UA hero, and UA is as cookie cutter shit as it gets.

OQBDAqwDCnowB5cRG9gC
I'd drop Hex Breaker and Mantra of Flame, same goes for Ether Feast. For the same reasons described on your build - leave defense to your monks, and have your Mesmers focus on dishing out as much damage as possible. And again there build is otherwise pretty solid. I'd focus on getting more damage dealing interrupts in there. Between Power Drain and Leech Signet the build has enough energy to support them.

OgBDkoysOvichwYsaMQG4CaB
Probably fine for now. I'm not a fan of Mind Burn, but it's not bad either. Sometimes, especially lategame, it can be hard to have more energy than many AI enemies, which would be my only real concern with that one. Most of the elite skills I'd use on an Elementalist hero are later in Nightfall.

OgmkcWp8Kxuj0NAPgFvlX77+VDD

No comment other than that I personally try to avoid using melee heroes; the AI isn't good at the role. I can't really offer any feedback because I haven't really played Dervish since the update and I don't know what constitutes good build design for that profession, especially for a hero. I would replace with another profession when able. You don't actually need a melee character in your party and most people these days do just run pure caster parties unless they themselves are a melee profession.
thanks for the very detailed reply.
honestly i'm kind of opposite of you, since gw is is now mostly pve with ai, i never looked at monk prophession as appealing and i know very little of "monking". i made those monk build picking the available skills that seemed the best , one healing other protective. i think i miss a lot of skill though. i will change secondary and grab a bit of monk spells.
for gwen i just lack more rupt skills. if i put some other non rupt she will waste time casting those and not be a good rupter

for MOX honestly i have no idea as well. dervish skills seems so complicated to make a build with , especially on a hero

btw i changed build again, now i have empathy, energy surge, "the skill that remove heces and does aoe dmg" in first three slits and chaos tempest. trying to do The Titan Source and there are no too many eles.
it's tough though

Monk works fine with an AI party, but it's a different style of gameplay. In a way, easier than other professions because if the AI fucks up and someone's about to die, you can intervene. And you load your party more offense heavy. You do lose the appeal of attacking and killing stuff, though, and Monk doesn't do full substitution multiclassing well (the way, say, a Warrior can go daggers and play as an Assassin, or a Necromancer can use Soul Reaping to play as any other caster) since Divine Favour is locked to Monk skills.

Of course, nowhere near as fun as playing with a human party.

The problem with Monk is that you can't zone out while listening to music or something and let the AI handle healing when you are 50% of the healing like you can when you are 15% of the damage. There's a reason Monks were always in fairly short supply in PvE.

Good times remembering back in prophecies when the henchmen were useless (didn't have infused armor) and the player monks went on literal strike for a short time

To be honest with an AI party I find I can typically zone out and keep heroes alive on autopilot. Most of the time. It's a human party that keeps you on your toes because humans will do unexpected stuff like panic and run way out of your casting range, or pull too many enemies. I think the weirdest one is when half the party goes one way, half go the other, and both engage some enemies in combat.

Black

Arcane
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-guild-wars-anniversary-celebration-begins-tomorrow/
The Ancient Anniversary Weaponsmith’s inventory has been reinforced with the Anniversary set, containing weapons with familiar looks but previously unavailable attribute requirements.

Additionally, at the Ancient Anniversary Weaponsmith, heroes can acquire a Proof of Triumph. Carrying this relic will cause an extra enemy group and boss to appear in four late-game maps—fight your way to them, and be sure to bring a Signet of Capture along to acquire a new PvE-only elite skill for each profession! If you miss this year’s celebration, don’t worry—the Proof of Triumph will continue to work when the festival ends so you can adventure with a friend to seek out the new skills.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Looks meh tbh. Most of those elite skills are not even interesting, it's just "haha get +++ to all attributes so you can do everything how very wacky" or other awesome-button tier shit.

Warrior skill is kind of interesting, being able to combine multiple weapons. Spending the warrior's elite skill for this is kind of bad though, means no Hundred Blades or Earth Shaker or w/e.

Ranger skill is quite good in a physical-heavy party and decent just for that incredible free healing. Especially considering Rangers aren't generally that dependent on elites. With the paragon skill boosting it that's a permanent +9 health regen.

Monk looks pretty trashy, maybe it'd work in some solo farming build?

Necro is interesting with Dark Aura. Necromancers can't generally survive in melee sacrificing that much health in PvE though. Might work in some team build centered around keeping the necro alive in melee.

Mesmer is...ehh. Again only in specialized team builds for speed clearing or w/e.

Elementalist looks ridiculously trash. Eles kind of demand either an elite with energy management or an elite that is itself a very powerful skill that can get shit done efficiently. Spending energy and overcast to cast worse spells quicker is not a great deal.

Assassin is pretty bad. +4 attributes is not that great for losing an elite slot. Not when you have to give up Moebius Strike or something similar.

Ritualist looks completely useless without a minion master but possibly quite good with one. There's 20 weapon spells by my count so the chance of getting something you wanted on 8 players is low, but on 10/20 minions (or12/24 with paragon boosting death magic) there's going to be a bunch of random interrupts/splinter weapons/blinds/etc. Still not really sure.

Dervish is kind of interesting. Don't see it having that much use as far as supplanting other classes, I think you'd still be strictly worse as a secondary caster, but its a viable option

Paragon is the best. +4 attributes for the whole party on a class that doesn't terribly need its elite skill. Especially good for the minion builds which see exponential returns (# of minions, minion damage, minion health, and minion healing).

TL;DR paragon/ranger player duos are now the definitive rapetrain. Add in 2 MM heroes and 2 ritualists casting the (also kind of exponentially-boosted) splinter weapon.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Not when you have to give up Moebius Strike or something similar.
The dagger spammer assassin doesn't really need an elite since the chain recharges in 3seconds even without Moebius so a shadowstep + damage boost (that can't be stripped) is very fine since it boosts your death blossom to something ridiculous like +50.
If you're willing to go for 16 crit strikes (though I'm not a big fan of superiors on assassin) the duration is 21 seconds so you can keep it up all the time and just teleport between fools.

The paragon one is busted, easily, with proper management you can maintain +6 attributes on your entire party indefinitely.

Last edited:
Problem is it doesn't really improve death blossom that much. DB goes from 47 damage to 55 damage. Assassin has a bunch of skills that just aren't scaling that great up to 20, and daggers also scale poorly in general (as opposed to something like Axes/Hammers/Scythes which all scale incredibly up to 20 due to high base damage and high crit damage). If it had some other utility (like, 5s recharge so you could shadowstep to secondary targets, or increased movement/attack speed) I'd see it being much more useful. If you aren't doing Moebius you probably want Flashing Blades or Way of the Assassin (+critical defenses and critical agility) instead.

Paragon is definitely excellent but as I think about it Ranger might be even more game-changing. Giving basically the whole party +7-9 health regen is kind of ridiculous, the kind of thing Monks would kill for. Parties with player rangers can basically drop a healer slot thanks to this. Of course Paragon is still absurdly good especially since Paragon is giving buffs and prots to the whole party as well. But the Ranger skill basically single-handedly changes the Ranger into a party-wide healer monk the same way the whole Paragon class is a party-wide prot monk.

Personally I've always liked phys-buffed parties with stuff like Ebon Battle Standard of Honor and Order of Pain/Mark of Pain/Splinter Weapon. With the Ranger Elite skill you're not only getting the healing but also that absurd damage boost for a bunch of other rangers/paragons.

Last edited:
"Together as one!"
This skill is really good. Probably going to always be the choice for a Beast Master build. Damage aside, the 6-7 health regeneration, that cannot be stripped, is a huge boost to party survivability.

Heroic Refrain
Probably broken, since you can take it on a Paragon bar in place of any other Paragon elite (seeing as they aren't very good) and then operate a party with 20 in their main attributes.

Judgment Strike
Total dogshit. There is no reason to take this as a monk. It might have a use as an elite attack in something like a DB spam build (Assassin primary) or a Warrior primary build - because, if you look at the stats, you'll see it barely scales off Divine Favour at all, and even at 0 DF you're dealing close to the same damage as you would at 12 DF. It looks like it was almost deliberately meant to be used by professions other than Monk.

Over the Limit
The exhaustion from this skill means it's basically not going to be used. If it didn't have the exhaustion it'd be a decent contender to go on many bars. Probably not surpassing dual attune, but still great. As it is, with the exhaustion (and it is pretty rapid exhaustion, equivalent to about six pips of energy degen), it's not viable.

Seven Weapons Stance
Not going to outshine 100b or Earth Shaker or Warrior's Endurance, but solid. You can get some hefty damage numbers with it or run weapon swapping builds. Not optimal but not bad either - out of all the new skills I'd say this one is the best balanced.

Shadow Theft
Most players who've tested it say it's equivalent or better to WotA for DB spam builds. Not sure if I'd take it but I think, like SWS, it's a well balanced skill. Doesn't steal the show, but is a decent candidate to go in your bar.

Soul Taker
Kind of hard to assess without testing but I've heard that players have been able to make pretty solid melee builds out of it, which isn't surprising. The main challenge is self-damage mitigation, and it's not that big of a problem.

Time Ward
The duration vs recharge puts a damper on things, but this is basically a mini Essence of Celerity except you don't spend money on it. Seems worthwhile to have in your party, although I suspect difficult to keep AI in the ward. Probably shines best with a human team. Exact stacking mechanics with EoC would have further bearing on how good it is. I think for a player mesmer with a hero party it's a great skill to take.

Vow of Revolution
Basically, gives Dervish the energy management to be a spellcaster using secondary profession skills the way Necromancer can with soul reaping. Extremely good. I was hoping for something like this for Monk so Monk could finally get some multiclassing support. Nope.

Weapons of Three Forges
Seems good or potentially good since it affects minions, but it depends on the draw you get. A whole bunch of Warmonger's Weapon or Weapon of Shadow popping up? Sweet. A bunch of Vital Weapan or Ghostly Weapon? Not so good.

Basically, modern ArenaNet really dislikes Monk.

Black

Arcane
The wiki says that you don't even need a pet for the ranger skill to work.

Are these skills/items attainable after April 28?

Yes. You need to either acquire one (1) Proof of Triumph from the weaponsmith during the anniversary events (lasts to May 6 by the way, and the Weaponsmith is there until May 13 after the event ends), or after the event, be in a party with someone who has their Proof of Triumph in inventory. This latter option only goes for the skills. Weapons, only during the event itself, but you do have a while before it actually ends.

Shilver

Novice
Subtle update but it brought a big population surge to the game. Guild Wars is the only MMO I played on occasion and even though it's a glorified party building simulator to me nowadays. I do miss the population and PvP that no games has matched to me. Maybe ArenaNet will focus more on some QoL updates, so far they've been great the past 2 years. It's just 2 or 3 guys in their off-time from what I understand though.

My biggest wish would be for the PvP scene to revive a bit but the toxicity is pretty off the charts now. These PvE additions seem nice, but I'll probably only use the new Mesmer shield and skill

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom