Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Half Life and Half Life 2 - List of recommended modifications and mini campaigns

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Finished this one yesterday. At first I was surprised with the graphical changes, but after awhile I knew what the creators are going for. It's a mix of older beta versions of HL combined with better lighting and a lot more ambient sounds. You can really feel, how the game originated from Quake engine. The changed weapon looks is a nice change, as well as the visible grainy pixels are a nice touch. It feels like a really boosted Uplink demo. It plays smooth, but ends too quickly, just when things are getting interesting. I would recommend waiting for the whole full campaign. It took me less than 40 minutes to finish it. And I even took my time to find secrets locations as well. Overall it's got a big potential. Plus the voice acting is really decent, and was made with a proper volume levels.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Yeah Signal Lost has enormous potential... if it ever gets finished. The atmo especially was given great attention. Still needs a lot more balancing work (make it harder) though.

The other mod I posted, Delta, was kinda rubbish.

Riskbreaker

Started playing Delta. So far it's enjoyable BM-redux sort of thing altho it's nothing special. Visuals and atmosphere are it's strong points. It seems to be trying to retrieve some of HL's horror element which is admittedly hard to do after all these years of encountering these same critters. Some fine brushwork so far, new resources bring the air of decrepitude, unkemptness to the environments compared to BM's cleanliness (unsurprisingly, this is made by an eastern European).
One thing tho:
If you notice an area suitable for a headcrab ambush, you can be sure that one is coming.
If an area doesn't cause you to suspect one, there's one coming anyway.
And this thing ain't too generous with health.

toughasnails

With that sort of this, I wonder if bored modders just fill a board with titles of various games and then throw darts at them while blindfolded. I can't think of any other way in which they get ideas for mods like that.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This upcoming mod looks promising:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/field-intensity

Mod for Half-Life. Previously known as "Soldier's Adventures". The story covers the time from the arrival of soldiers to the nuclear explosion in Black Mesa Research Facility. 5-10 hours of gameplay, 34 maps totally.

After over 13 years of development, during school, high school, job, despite procrastination, freezes, hiatuses, worldwide pandemic and many other real life events - we're happy to announce the release of this long-awaited piece. Known by the original indev name "Soldier's Adventures" to the public, we've decided to rename it right before release to "Field Intensity", which is a more fitting name for a HL mod. The mod is about to release on March 23, 2022. It was really a half-life journey for us, so we hope this mod is worth the wait. Thank you for your patience and stay tuned!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.moddb.com/mods/field-intensity

This is out and getting very favorable reviews.

After 13 years' development, Half-Life mod about a marine assault on Black Mesa launches to rave reviews
By Rick Lane published 23 minutes ago

Created by a Russian/Ukrainian modding team.

cTziX7qsa62XXdUhZCS6aX-320-80.png

(Image credit: Hazard Team)
Audio player loading…
Half-Life: Field Intensity is a new mod for Valve's 1998 shooter that launched this week after 13 years in development. Created by a group of three veteran modders known as Hazard Team, whose previous work includes the 2009 prequel mod Half-Life: Induction, Field Intensity is a much larger project. Taking cues from Opposing Force, the mod's 34 maps follow the story of one of the marines sent into Black Mesa to quell the alien invasion and silence the scientists working there. The mod has had a very positive reception, with one ModDB user calling it "one of the best mods I've ever played".

Hazard Team began work on the mod in 2009, after the launch of Induction. Originally known as Soldier's Adventures, Hazard Team wanted to make a "classic" Half-Life mod that, in the words of its programmer Roman Chistokhodov "tells the story of the Black Mesa incident from the point of view of yet another character." The mod initially focuses on the Marines' opening assault on the Black Mesa facility. "Opposing Force starts with an osprey crash and Adrian Shephard being unconscious for a long time, and skips a big bulk of the Half-Life storyline" says Chistokhodov. "We tried to fill this gap and show some HECU action before the evac order."

The mod's action is split into two parts that Hazard Team refers to internally as "Days". Day 1 focuses on the Marines' early encounters with the Xen aliens, with maps made primarily by the mod's co-creator, who goes by the nickname KRSK. Day 2 is, as Chistokhodov puts it, "a classic 'try to escape Black Mesa'" trope. The two halves of the story are weaved together by an unseen radioman who informs you about the wider events at the facility, an addition that Chistokhodov states was "inspired by games like Bioshock and SOMA."

Field Intensity is a substantial project, adding custom content as well as new maps and story. The mod was originally based on the Opposing Force game libraries, but in 2017, Chistokhodov started working on his "own version" of the Half-Life SDK. "Eventually it let us abandon using Opposing Force game libraries and switch to our custom implementation," he says. "Having such freedom opened a lot of new possibilities, so I've added new enemies and weapons beyond Opposing Force ones."

As for why the mod was in development for such a long period, Chistokhodov explains that development was "intermittent", due to "shifts of interests or lack of motivation". "There was even a time when I wanted to abandon it altogether, thinking that Half-Life modding is outdated and nobody would be interested," he says. "However I saw that Half-Life community is still alive and a lot of mods are still being developed and some are even getting released on Steam."

Hazard Team is a Russian and Ukrainian modding outfit which has been working together for many years. The Russian invasion of Ukraine has had an impact on the team. KRSK, the modder who worked on Field Intensity's first part, was not available for direct contact as a consequence of the conflict, although Chistokhodov said they "keep contact with him every day at this time." When I asked Chistokhodov how he felt about the timing of the release, he responded "We're happy that we made it to the release. So far reviews are great, people like it, so it was not for nothing. We gather all the feedback and watch playthough videos to understand what we can fix and improve about the mod."

You can download Half-Life: Field Intensity here.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Half-Life: Through The City is a fan-made sequel to Half-Life: Opposing Force. 20 years after the Black Mesa incident G-man awakes Adrian Shephard and sends him into City 17 during the first days of the Uprising. Throughout his journey Shephard is going to encounter a group of rebels that will aid him in completing his mission, furthermore he will even see the last living Race-X entity on earth

Go try the demo:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-lif...half-life-through-the-city-the-awoken-demo-10

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I have been waiting for a female assassin mod ever since I saw them in HL1. This is as close as anyone has ever got, but never to be completed.

I love the idea of a high agility glass cannon that can explore black mesa easily, with a minor focus on stealth and planning. But no one wants to tap the potential of the idea.

Don Peste

Arcane
People talking about Xana on the other thread made me think...
There's a gazillion Half-Life 2 mods, yet nobody ever decided to make a little Dark Messiah clone?
:killit:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i've been raising the bar pilled for at least 16 years, ever since i lurked on father grigori's half life 2 beta forum. i almost can't believe that a substantial raising the bar-inspired total conversion is finally out

of course it's not the entire thing, but it's at least a good 5-6 hours long

hayst

Educated
Any of the HL2 beta mods make any significant progress recently?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any of the HL2 beta mods make any significant progress recently?

i'm late, but raising the bar redux is like 40 percent done and you can play like 4-5 hours worth of it now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom