Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half Life is shit

Ash

Arcane
Edited to include a lesson for you plebs, but honestly you're both probably a lost cause. Also being unable to look up or down was fixed in '94 and universally standard by '96 for the record.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Enemy and weapon variety are not really things I'd think of praising Duke 3D for, the combat feels weak and a bunch of the weapons are awkward gimmick shit that don't quite work or feel justified.

Silverfish

Arbiter
-Battles involve a wide array of enemy types fought at once, each with different behaviors.

All joking aside, this is always welcome. In Halo I mean, where it was done better.

Swimming and even flying

Duke Nukem is the perfect character to take a dip during an intense firefight. Fair enough.

Managing a vast array of 10 weapons

This is actually a very smart concession to less skilled players. Not everyone would cope well with their guns of choice running dry and having to use unfamiliar / less powerful weapons scavenged in a tough segment.

Using the map. Using your head. Not required in 2000s FPS.

That's because post-90's level design could actually be followed logically and had more than two hallway textures.

Meaningful health and ammo management

Health management? Taking damage in a non-hitscan fps? That could never be me.

Fast paced movement alongside projectile combat makes combat more a matter of skill

"Being able to move quickly and dodge visible projectiles takes more skill than dealing with hitscan weapons while compensating for slower movement." Is this whole thing because you got wrecked at Modern Warfare 2 deathmatch? We've all been there, man.

Lemming42

Arcane
Although I don't 100% agree with Ash about the quality of 2000s FPS, the genre definitely took a turn for the worse. Off the top of my head, only Far Cry 1, F.E.A.R. 1, and Red Faction 1 stand out as titles I remember really enjoying.

Then there's decent but not great stuff like Halo, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, RTCW and Stalker. They're all alright, and at the very least are preferable the lamest titles of the 90s like Blood 2 or whatever.

I think MoHAA and the first CoD are okay too. If CoD hadn't spawned such a crap franchise and had such an immensely negative hold over the future of gaming then I think it'd stand on its own as a sort of interesting experiment in seeing just how far you can streamline the FPS experience into a heavily-scripted rollercoaster ride.

baba is you

Novice
I don't agree with Ash 100%, but I think he has a point. I don't really remember any FPSs from 2000 onwards, other than far cry 2 and Stalker.

There was the occasional Serious Sam or something, but they were never as well designed as Doom or Duke Nukem.
It wasn't that there were fewer arena shooters, it was the design that was seriously problematic.

But I don't know if Half-Life led to that.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
People like to imagine what the FPS scene would look like nowadays if it weren't for Half-Life, but it's more fun to imagine what 1999 would have looked like. I imagine that it'd be mostly unchanged - shit like Blood 2 and Requiem: Avenging Angel must have already been long into development when Half-Life came out, already doomed by the time of November 1998 to be unimpressive and forgettable games. What would the big standout have been, in terms of single-player FPS games? Kingpin? System Shock 2? PS1 Medal of Honor?
Medal of Honor probably was bigger than we think, we just didn't pay much attention to it because it was only on consoles. Goldeneye only gets the attention it does because there were like 10 games on the N64 everyone owned, so we hear about it a lot more.
Anyway, I think the big game getting shit on all the time would be Sin. While I've never cared for it, it strikes me as something that does the same style of gameplay as Half-Life, but with an extremely '90s veneer of it.
Strafe incorporated RPG elements
Really? Your example of a FPS game with RPG elements is the game that was practically Doom with the bare minimum of RPG elements?
Tek War all kinds of weird shit
Is this bait or are you suffering from some kind of brain parasite?

Desman

Novice
Some people dislike Half life because it is a story driven shooter with a very linear structure.
I was impressed a lot back in the day by all the little interactions with the game environnement and the ai of the npcs but overall i never really enjoyed to play the game that much. Like my favourite part of the game was fighting against the marine grunts. Why i can't have more of that ? Why do i have to suffer all the pseudo platforming and cleaning the boring alien ennemies... oh yeah because it tells the story of Gordon Freeman who try to escape from a ruined science facility and thus has to crawl in every sewer while evading barnacles and fighting headcrabs and slippy ladders.

Meanwhile when i play Deus Ex i feel like a billion dollar man unveiling global conspiracies and handling every situation how i want thanks to my super agent augmentations.
Guess what is more fun ?

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Some people dislike Half life because it is a story driven shooter with a very linear structure.
I was impressed a lot back in the day by all the little interactions with the game environnement and the ai of the npcs but overall i never really enjoyed to play the game that much. Like my favourite part of the game was fighting against the marine grunts. Why i can't have more of that ? Why do i have to suffer all the pseudo platforming and cleaning the boring alien ennemies... oh yeah because it tells the story of Gordon Freeman who try to escape from a ruined science facility and thus has to crawl in every sewer while evading barnacles and fighting headcrabs and slippy ladders.

Meanwhile when i play Deus Ex i feel like a billion dollar man unveiling global conspiracies and handling every situation how i want thanks to my super agent augmentations.
Guess what is more fun ?
nice alt bro

Lemming42

Arcane
oh yeah because it tells the story of Gordon Freeman who try to escape from a ruined science facility and thus has to crawl in every sewer while evading barnacles and fighting headcrabs and slippy ladders.

Half-Life and Deus Ex aren't a good basis for a comparison. You might as well also claim that Deus Ex sucks because it didn't give you the experience of being able to be a master of disguise like you were in Hitman.

Grim Monk

Arcane
not existing in doom1/2 , quake 1/2 and all build engines games has only swimming, only build engine game to have flying is duke. Duke is in fact only fps from 90 to have flying

Heretic/Hexen series also had flying...

Rise of the Triad had flying before all of those other games. In fact, that's how I found some secret level. It was fun. The map was kind of like a circle, got a flying powerup, flew through it paying no mind to the enemies, noticed there was some sort of barrier, flew over it and found the secret exit. Good times.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
2000s FPS games of note:

CAWADOOTY the OG
Call of Juarez (debatable I suppose)
Clive Barker's Undying
Deus Ex
Doom 3 and RoE (fuck you, I have a soft spot for it)
F.E.A.R.
Gunman Chronicles
Left 4 Dead
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
NOLF 1 and 2
Painkiller
Planetside
Portal
Postal 2
Prey (2006)
Red Faction
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, CS, and CoP
Serious Sam: Second Encounter
Shattered Horizon
UT 2004
Zeno Clash

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
2000s FPS games of note:

CAWADOOTY the OG
Clive Barker's Undying
Deus Ex
F.E.A.R.
Gunman Chronicles
Left 4 Dead
NOLF 1 and 2
Painkiller
Planetside
Portal
Postal 2
Prey (2006)
Red Faction
Shattered Horizon
UT 2004
Zeno Clash
f u doom roxx!!!

Is my Ash impression up to par?

Lemming42

Arcane
Call of Juarez is kind of shit. The contrast between the Reverend chapters and the Arsehole chapters (I forgot both their names) was interesting at the time, but on a replay the Reverend chapters just feel a bit clunky and the Arsehole chapters are universally a complete drag with awful rope swing nonsense.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Call of Juarez is kind of shit. The contrast between the Reverend chapters and the Arsehole chapters (I forgot both their names) was interesting at the time, but on a replay the Reverend chapters just feel a bit clunky and the Arsehole chapters are universally a complete drag with awful rope swing nonsense.
Yeah there's a load of jank in it and some shitty stealth parts, but I remember enjoying the game overall at the time. The weirdest thing about CoJ was how the game tired to keep you from shooting dead bodies.

Ash

Arcane
-Battles involve a wide array of enemy types fought at once
Mainly applies to doom 1 and 2, much less to build engine games and even less to quake 1/2

Swimming and even flying (jetpack).
not existing in doom1/2 , quake 1/2 and all build engines games has only swimming, only build engine game to have flying is duke. Duke is in fact only fps from 90 to have flying

Puzzle elements
Puzzle elements in fps are always shit idea

High degree of environmental interactivity - exploding walls for a new path

None in doom1/2, none in quake1/2, none in redneck rampage and tekwar so only half of build engne games has this feature
Minor inventory system
None in doom1/2, quake1/2 and all build engine games, if duke has inventory system then i'm black jew

-Complex AI that fly, teleport, move along the ceiling, jump, duck and more.
Do not exist in doom1/2, only jump in quake1/2, and none in 3/5 build engine games ( blood has only duck)

There is not a SINGLE fps in the 2000s that even really comes remotely close to this level of gameplay depth. Hell, there isn't really in the 2010s to date either.
Fake news, as always.

The majority of 90s FPS feature significantly deeper gameplay than 2000s FPS
Fake news again.
"the only 90s FPS I know is doom & quake".

Heretic/Hexen series also had flying...
As did System Shock.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
2000s FPS games of note:

CAWADOOTY the OG
Clive Barker's Undying
Deus Ex
F.E.A.R.
Gunman Chronicles
Left 4 Dead
NOLF 1 and 2
Painkiller
Planetside
Portal
Postal 2
Prey (2006)
Red Faction
Shattered Horizon
UT 2004
Zeno Clash

Zero standards revealed.

Deus Ex sure, but it is a 90s game in design through and through, a culmination of what Looking Glass had been doing all throughout that decade. Technically, it s a 2000s game sure, but it is the only truly great game here and most would consider it ARPG before a shooter anyway.

What a collection of turds. Prey 2006, early walking-sim in disguise. Gunman Chronicles, a utterly shit half-life mod. Portal, the game that is not a FPS. Doom 3, a.k.a the fall of Doom and pretty much is right where the death of genuine game design was marked. Graphics, realism and sales is now king. Assortment of banal shit boring arena shooters or multiplayer-only games.
And of course the OG yes Sir, Call of Duty.

I'm not adding much of value to your list here, but where is RTCW, Wolf 2009, Timesplitters FP, Half-Life 2? They're better than most in that abomination of a list, while still not exactly great, declined to some extent themselves.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom