Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Halls of Torment – if Diablo and VS had a beautiful lovechild destined to be its own person!

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've been pretty sceptical of anything derivative of Vampire Survivors, and was similarly dubious about this, but it's actually fun, actually distinct, actually interesting on its own terms! Has that roguelite metaprogression, and although it clearly draws some inspiration from VS, it is its own game and not simply derivative.

Disclaimers: Early Access, not perfectly optimised (runs perfectly on my computer, runs fine on Steam Deck, struggles on a friend's PC, YMMV). That being said, if it looks ugly on your computer be sure to turn off Performance Mode. While you can have it auto-aim, you can always overwrite it like in a typical twin stick shooter.

Halls of Torment is a horde survival game in a pre rendered retro look reminiscent of RPGs from the late 90s. Choose one of many hero characters and descend into the deadly Halls of Torment. Fight unholy horrors from beyond and survive wave after wave until you face one of the tormented lords. Advance your hero with character traits, abilities, and items. Create a new powerful build during each run. Explore various underground expanses and find new powerful items that enable you to venture even deeper into the abyss.
Features
  • Quick and casual runs of maximum 30 minutes
  • Old school pre rendered artstyle
  • Quest based meta progression
  • Large selection of diverse abilities, traits, and items, all enabling you to create interesting synergies
  • Diverse bosses featuring unique mechanics and attack patterns
  • Items can be retrieved to the overworld and used to customize future runs
  • Dozens of interesting characters allowing many different playstyles
  • Unlock and explore multiple interesting and challenging underground worlds
  • Interactable environments: Use traps and hazards to your advantage!
Early Access Content
  • 3+ stages unique environment
  • 7+ playable characters
  • 11+ different and upgradable abilities
  • 12+ unique bosses
  • 30+ unique monsters
  • 14+ blessings making you stronger for each attempt
  • 50+ different items to unlock and retrieve
  • 500+ traits that upgrade characters and abilities
  • 150+ quests to complete

This is the content the early access will start with and will be expanded on until the final release.

This is the first real development I've seen with this nascent genre, and it's pretty damn cheap. Hopefully some of you get half as much enjoyment out of it as me.

Üstad

Arcane
I'll bump this thread when that's no longer the case; though from what I've experienced the core systems seem to be in place, as though it's just a matter of adding more stages, abilities, "quests" etc.
I've also checked the reviews people were complaining about the lack of replayability value. Clearly an unfinished game at the moment.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've also checked the reviews people were complaining about the lack of replayability value. Clearly an unfinished game at the moment.
Eh, it's like four euros (I realise Turkiye's currency is in the gutter right now, though that doesn't apply to everyone). People I saw who had "finished" it had 35-50 hours clocked, so I guess I didn't see that as a concern at that price. (You have to dig to find the 5% negative reviews anyway, at least the useful ones, but they've also added stuff since then.)

Essentially if you're someone who enjoyed VS while it was still in EA, I imagine you'd like this right now. Otherwise wait.

Üstad

Arcane
Eh, it's like four euros (I realise Turkiye's currency is in the gutter right now, though that doesn't apply to everyone). People I saw who had "finished" it had 35-50 hours clocked, so I guess I didn't see that as a concern at that price. (You have to dig to find the 5% negative reviews anyway, at least the useful ones, but they've also added stuff since then.)

Essentially if you're someone who enjoyed VS while it was still in EA, I imagine you'd like this right now. Otherwise wait.
It's not about the price really, just seems unfinished. I'll follow it but won't buy now.

Edit: Actually watched a few gameplay videos seems pretty good.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Never played Vampire Survivors but I started playing this and it is a ton of fun. I understand I've arrived late to the trend but this game feels like a must try to me, especially if you enjoyed VS. The art style is fantastic, the music is great, the stats and item system in the game give it a RPG-like feel, making the game more interesting than just a bullet-hell reflex challenge, and the classes that I have tried feel very distinct, rendering them worthy enough to run through all the halls with in my eyes. With a total of seven playable classes and three different halls/levels, I can see myself playing this for hours. It's literally four dollars at the moment on Steam and I'm not sure how much more value anyone could possibly require of the game to deem to worth purchasing, even if there are plans for more content in the future. Shocked that this thread has received barely any traction so far on the Codex, and I'm posting so more people can get there eyes on this title. The only con is the voice acting which is pretty bad, but you know you have a good game when that's the only negative thing that can be said about it. Going to be hard to give VS a try after this game since the art here is so good it makes VS look unappealing.

Üstad

Arcane
I loved the game but effects blocking view and too many shit going on on the screen is a bit annoying. I hope they fix that in future and also make abilities more auxiliary rather than main damage dealer, they become deadlier than your main weapon easily. Lovely artstyle by the way. Even though it's in early acess I'm glad I bought it.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's literally four dollars at the moment on Steam and I'm not sure how much more value anyone could possibly require of the game to deem to worth purchasing, even if there are plans for more content in the future. Shocked that this thread has received barely any traction so far on the Codex, and I'm posting so more people can get there eyes on this title.
Codex sleeps on a lot of games that'd be right up their metaphorical alley, nothing new sadly. :P

I loved the game but effects blocking view and too many shit going on on the screen is a bit annoying. I hope they fix that in future and also make abilities more auxiliary rather than main damage dealer, they become deadlier than your main weapon easily. Lovely artstyle by the way. Even though it's in early acess I'm glad I bought it.
Cool that you gave it a try! I understand why a lot of people are sceptical about EA, but sometimes games justify their price even while still in development, and this is one of those cases. :)

Not sure if any similar games manage to solve the "noise" issue. Supposedly bullet heaven is the name coalescing around this nascent genre, and much like bullet hells, the screen being way too busy seems to come with the experience. (But if anyone has seen a game from either genre that manages to defy this without cutting down on complexity and challenge, I'd love to know about it.)

Gerrard

Arcane
FLdyeiv.jpg

2 seconds :negative:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I've been pretty sceptical of anything derivative of Vampire Survivors, and was similarly dubious about this, but it's actually fun, actually distinct, actually interesting on its own terms! Has that roguelite metaprogression, and although it clearly draws some inspiration from VS, it is its own game and not simply derivative.

Disclaimers: Early Access, not perfectly optimised (runs perfectly on my computer, runs fine on Steam Deck, struggles on a friend's PC, YMMV). That being said, if it looks ugly on your computer be sure to turn off Performance Mode. While you can have it auto-aim, you can always overwrite it like in a typical twin stick shooter.

Halls of Torment is a horde survival game in a pre rendered retro look reminiscent of RPGs from the late 90s. Choose one of many hero characters and descend into the deadly Halls of Torment. Fight unholy horrors from beyond and survive wave after wave until you face one of the tormented lords. Advance your hero with character traits, abilities, and items. Create a new powerful build during each run. Explore various underground expanses and find new powerful items that enable you to venture even deeper into the abyss.
Features
  • Quick and casual runs of maximum 30 minutes
  • Old school pre rendered artstyle
  • Quest based meta progression
  • Large selection of diverse abilities, traits, and items, all enabling you to create interesting synergies
  • Diverse bosses featuring unique mechanics and attack patterns
  • Items can be retrieved to the overworld and used to customize future runs
  • Dozens of interesting characters allowing many different playstyles
  • Unlock and explore multiple interesting and challenging underground worlds
  • Interactable environments: Use traps and hazards to your advantage!
Early Access Content
  • 3+ stages unique environment
  • 7+ playable characters
  • 11+ different and upgradable abilities
  • 12+ unique bosses
  • 30+ unique monsters
  • 14+ blessings making you stronger for each attempt
  • 50+ different items to unlock and retrieve
  • 500+ traits that upgrade characters and abilities
  • 150+ quests to complete

This is the content the early access will start with and will be expanded on until the final release.

This is the first real development I've seen with this nascent genre, and it's pretty damn cheap. Hopefully some of you get half as much enjoyment out of it as me.

this beats VR

better art
better UI
better enemy design
more style

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Screenshot (19).png

Well, I've finished all 3 levels, and unlocked all the classes so I guess there's nothing left now except to chase achievements and maybe try out the newly unlocked Shieldmaiden and Sorceress. I think the game is fun but I liked VS more when it comes to aesthetics and gameplay. For only 5$ it's very much worth it in terms of content, hopefully there'll be a lot more in the future.

Caim

Arcane
Fun game, but I had to add a line of code to the launcher to force the use of a dedicated GPU in order to play it.

Pretty good, and I especially love the Exterminator, going all out with fire damage and just burn motherfuckers alive. I managed to get a crown that increases my damage based on how many dudes I set on fire and boots that spawn fire wherever I walk for even more damage output.

Gerrard

Arcane
I feel the permanent upgrades and gear rapidly make it way too easy. Being able to start with a full set of gear means you have nothing to look forward to in terms of gear drops.
Also I was surprised you can actually make a tanky character.

Caim

Arcane
I feel the permanent upgrades and gear rapidly make it way too easy. Being able to start with a full set of gear means you have nothing to look forward to in terms of gear drops.
Also I was surprised you can actually make a tanky character.
From the little gear I've found so far I see that the quality goes up quite a bit, going from defense, speed and gathering to some powerful stuff that change your playstyle dramatically. Not sure what this will be like in the endgame, but I'm curious to see what else I can get.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Usually the way with roguelites, honestly. The metaprogression aspect is why some love them and others hate them.

Difficult to balance rewards well, because you want to make newer content more challenging, and those rewards a route into making it more accessible.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Very addictive little game. Completed all three maps and unlocked all the classes.

Taking a break for a while till the new content is added.

Gerrard

Arcane
Update released

FEATURES
  • New feature: Class Marks
    • Class Marks allow you to pick traits from a different class
    • To unlock a class mark you will need to finish the class master quests.
    • Those quests require you to reach agony IV on the character's stage of origin.
    • These quests superseed the character quests to reach level 100.
    • If you have already completed the level 100 quests those quests will be set as completed.
  • New feature: Agony Mode
    • Agony Mode can be unlocked by defeating the Lord of a stage.
    • Monster count, monster health, and XP drops are dynamically scaled based on your performance
    • Each killed enemy increases agony, while monsters that are alive reduce agony over time.
    • Aside from monsters, only reviving reduces agony.
    • You may find ‘Uncommon Items’: stronger variations of items that you’ve retrieved previously
    • Additional champion monsters are spawning
    • Champions are randomized monsters with extra modifiers and abilities.
    • Champions can drop various rewards from ability scrolls, to uncommon items, gold, flasks, or an extra bucket for the well.
  • New stage: Frozen Depths
    • Can be unlocked by defeating the frost knight on the Forgotten Viaduct.
    • New unknown enemies await with 3 unique bosses and a new lord.
    • The stage layout limits your movement and requires you to navigate carefully through the caves while avoiding getting encircled by foes.
  • New elemental effect: Frost
    • Frost explodes and deals damage in an area when the affected monster dies or 20 stacks have been accumulated.
    • If the frost effect runs out it triggers with only half of its damage.
    • Frost deals damage based on the number of stacks.
    • The strongest hit that applied frost determines the area of the effect.
  • New characters
    • Norseman
      • Dual wielding axe fighter boosting your physical abilities.
      • When he hits a certain number of enemies he unleashes a devastating Frost Nova.
    • Beast Huntress
      • Throws her spear with great force, piercing through the enemy lines and applying frost effect.
      • Has a hound that protects her from close enemies.
  • New abilities
    • Ice Avalanche: an ice based attack with a diagonal pattern.
    • Flame Strike: close quarter defense or boss killer.
    • Arcane Rift: magic mines that deal devastating damage.
    • Spirit Warrior: summoned warrior that dashes through enemies.
    • Potion of Renewal: allows you to reroll abilities
    • Hallucinogenic Elixir: allows you to reroll items in a chest

Also most of existing items were changed in some way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom