Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Harbinger gets nailed on ship day

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Harbinger

That's right, it just came out today, and <A href="Http://www.harbingergame.com">Harbinger</a>'s already racked up it's first <A href="http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,468717,00.html">bad review</a> over at <A href="http://www.gamespot.com">GameSpot</a>. It's score was a painful <b>4.5/10</b>! Here's a taste of the un-love:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>There are only three character classes to choose from in Harbinger: human, gladiator, and culibine. The gladiator is a cyborglike robot infused with the consciousness of a living being, while the culibine resembles Diablo's sorcerer character, though in practice, all the classes play about the same. While the different classes have special gadgets they can use--the gladiator can control remotely operated cameras and the human can drop mines of varying types, for example--these items actually don't figure prominently into the gameplay because of play-balance issues between the attack types.
<br>
<br>
All three classes have a ranged attack, and the human and gladiator have true melee attacks. When engaged in close-quarters combat, the culibine can use a spell-like ability to damage enemies in a small radius around her. However, almost all ranged attacks from enemies in Harbinger are slow projectiles that are easily dodged. You can also outrun just about all the enemies in the game. As a result, you'll find that the entire game consists of running away, firing off a couple of shots, dodging your enemies' shots, and then running some more. There is no point in putting yourself in harm's way by moving into melee range when you can avoid damage altogether by just running and shooting all the time. While you could argue that this kind of shallow gameplay is a feature of almost any other game of this kind, Harbinger lacks the fun elements that better action RPGs possess.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Well, I got my review copy today, and I really can't say that isn't true.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Spazmo</b>, for the heads up!
<br>

Rendelius

Liturgist
I have been playing a gold copy for some time now. A rating of 4.5/10 is - well, rather questionable, to say at least. But tastes are different, aren't they?

The reviewer has some valid points, but overall, I find Harbinger quite enjoyable. It's nothing groundbreaking, but 4.5 is a joke, if you ask me.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Marksman said:
User ratings so far are 8.0 at gamespot so theres still hope.

I suspect those will drop fairly quickly.

Rendelius said:
I have been playing a gold copy for some time now. A rating of 4.5/10 is - well, rather questionable, to say at least. But tastes are different, aren't they?

The reviewer has some valid points, but overall, I find Harbinger quite enjoyable. It's nothing groundbreaking, but 4.5 is a joke, if you ask me.

I think 4.5 is pretty fair, really. The RPG elements in this game are fairly non-existant, and the action part of it is rather crippled by both pathfinding issues as well as poor design choices.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is it fun?
Is the combat fun?Do you get some kewl machine guns or bazookas to blow things up?How interactive is the envirement(sp?)?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm working on my review now. I'll address all of that.

Well, I'll tell you about the environment interaction now. There isn't any. There's a few switches to open doors and extend bridges, but that's about it. There are also containers which spill loot. Oh, and there's a few devices that give skill bonuses like Diablo's fountains. Other than that, nope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom