Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Having Trouble Playing Evil in PST

MonkeyHead

Educated
Is it just me or is it difficult to pick the evil options? Not that they're not reasonably well written and better than the typical 'kick a puppy' options littering RPGs with "choices" but I just never could tell Dak'kon to enter into a new life of slavery or leave my ol' buddy Morte in the Pillar of Skulls. This is of course in part due to the fact that I don't actively hate my companions unlike NWN2 or KOTOR, but I never felt like abusing the townsfolk of Sigil either.

From a role-playing point of view, I've always felt that the beginning of the game pushes players towards the good path and by the time you encounter the better moral decisions in the game you've already established a good bias. From a roll-playing POV the good options typically lead to new quests, powers, tons of exp, and stronger companions.

Are there any reasons good reasons to be evil beyond lulz? Did anyone encounter a turning point where they decided the Multiverse would be better off burnt to a cinder?

Phelot

Arcane
I guess it says something about a game if it makes you feel guilty about committing evil. I tend to play good in most RPGs I care about and PST is one of them. I always meant to play evil at least once just to see what it was like and to see the movie on Vhailor attacking the player.

racofer

Thread Incliner
MonkeyHead said:
Emo_Kid_color_variant_02_by_sabisaotome.png

Vibalist

Arcane
Maybe going for a moderate amount of evil choices is the way to go. The first time I played the game I played an evil character, but in a reasonable way, where I never went overboard with it.

For instance, I had no qualms with exploiting random citizens and some of the major npc's, like Dionarra, but I remained loyal to my companions. Once in a while I'd throw in a 'good' choice or two when it felt right, in order to keep some measure of balance in my character who was otherwise mostly a jerk. The game felt right to me that way. I felt villainous, but with a conscience that once in a while spoke to me, preventing me from doing some of the stuff that felt really bad, like putting Morte into the pillar.

Texas Red

Whiner
The beauty about PS:T is that you can be either full blown evil(but in a sensible manner, as in you don't go around slaughtering innocents) or just chaotic by lying, manipulating, persuading etc. Some of the evil options are indeed a bit gruesome. I particularly liked telling that mentally touched one that his sister is an ugly whore with whom you wouldn't sleep even if paid, after she gave you money to be delivered to him. I prefer just pocketing the money and telling him that his sister is worried and wants to meet him :cool:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The lack of urgency probably drove you to keep thinking 'Do I really need to do this?'

Couple it with 'I AM IMMORTAL' that enables you to ignore being materially poor...well, evil motivations really depended on your personality.

What if you are given a limited time limit to solve the mystery before you lost your mind forever? Now that would actually made you hurry up and take any opportunity that was given to you, wouldn't it?

MonkeyHead

Educated
racofer said:

The hair is wrong, it should be red. Only the darkest of blood red blood hair coloring can express my pain and anger with the world. So more red, and cut marks on the wrists. And why the fuck are there no shoes? The feet should be clad in iron hobnailed boots the better with which to lash out against a cold uncaring world. Make these changes and I will regale you with my poetry series "The World is A Cold Place and No One Loves Me" parts I - IV.

@RK47
A good point. It's far easier to justify evil acts as "THE ONLY WAY!" when you have time/resource issues. Since the PST's story is slow paced and made for exploration there is never in game time pressure. Similarly, resources are in abundance and items gained from evil acts are typically unneeded. If selling your companion into slavery for the Book of Evil thingy gave you something useful it would be a much more compelling choice.

Bloodlines had a fun choice to make when you're recognized by an old friend. Kill her and lose humanity, don't and suffer a masquerade violation, or be one of the clans with dominate/dementation and supernatural your way out of things like the mind raping vampire you are. Good times.

Texas Red

Whiner
The urgency is called the Spirit Meter which the brainless masses loathed. Many quests helped you immensely(such as Spirit Gorge or ability to suck souls).

Nedrah

Erudite
MonkeyHead said:
racofer said:

The hair is wrong, it should be red. Only the darkest of blood red blood hair coloring can express my pain and anger with the world. So more red, and cut marks on the wrists. And why the fuck are there no shoes? The feet should be clad in iron hobnailed boots the better with which to lash out against a cold uncaring world. Make these changes and I will regale you with my poetry series "The World is A Cold Place and No One Loves Me" parts I - IV.

Well played.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I find it difficult to play evil in games, because i am such a nice guy. :idea:

Michael Ellis

Scholar
Project: Eternity
I played through PST last month and had more trouble being chaotic than evil. About the only time I was chaotic was when I used the Modron cube as a toy and talked to it which pissed off Morte : )

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bah, I always found being chaotic in PST to be easy and enjoyable. The most difficult for me was to remain lawful if I wanted to get the celestial fire.

MonkeyHead

Educated
ghostdog said:
Bah, I always found being chaotic in PST to be easy and enjoyable. The most difficult for me was to remain lawful if I wanted to get the celestial fire.

Same. Much of the fun stuff, like mocking Morte, running with the Starved Dogs, worshipping the Lady, gave you Chaotic points. While mingling with crazy ass Xaositects should by all rights turn you to the Chaotic side I think the verbal sparring with Morte and talking to zombies had too strong an influence on your early game alignment.

Being Chaotic Good was a pretty weak choice roll-playing wise denying you the Celestial and Entropic weapons.

Poetry collection is currently being bound in the tanned hide of infants, should be back from the printers soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom