Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Tonight I decided, while partaking in various substances to play secret paladin and face hunter. Fuck, I feel dirty.
(I also tried patron warrior, but I didn't feel as shameful, at least it seems to me that you have to practice it a bit before it being so fucking radioactive).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well you can't really play Patron Warrior anymore. You can, but it's pretty awful.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Warsong Commander was nerfed so you can no longer OTK someone by charging Patrons (and Frothing Berserker).

Andhaira

Arcane
Well you can't really play Patron Warrior anymore. You can, but it's pretty awful.

It was so gratifying playing against PWs who were trying to make the deck work any way they could right after the nerf last wee. Just like Undertaker Hunters right after that nerf, especially the few who hadn't gotten wind of the nerf and tried playing like they always did by plopping taker down turn 1 :troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Forums and Reddit seem to be getting fed up with Secret Paladin. Wonder how long it'll take for them to act? Guessing at least another three to five months.

Seems to me that instamatic undertaker was definitely too much. I played at least 10 games of patron warrior in not ranked before it was nerfed, and only achieved once or twice the crazy patron/war chief synergy. It was almost always the berserker which made me win (when I did win).
Tried more of the face hunter and of the secret paladin this night. Of course I knew face hunter from having faced a million times this fucker. Well, it's just so dirty that it makes me want to take a shower, it's like a yakuza bashing the head of a 10 years old with a wrench to steal his lunchbox. It's a fucking psychopath deck.
Secret paladin seems to me not as fucked-up, it actually demands some kind of strategy. But when the dirt does align with the stars, it absolutely becomes the mighty lovecraftean god of filth. I quite like it, in fact.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I quite like it, in fact.
You are now part of the problem. N-e-wayz. I find I just log on every other day to do quests in casual. I do Arena once a week or so. I drafted a deck two days ago but haven't played a match with it. It's a shame some people didn't get to experience the game in its first year or so (beta included). The pace was slower and there were less shitty gimmicks. They only seem to magnify the existing issues with each passing expansion. Can't believe there are those who have spent thousands of dollars on it.

I do lose regularly with secret paladin, it's not an instant win, but then I did tweak it for the worst with the murloc knight for lulz and some other weird cards. I don't really play the optimal secret paladin.
But fuck, face hunter is really disgusting, I'll never play it again. Fuck this shit. I just can't.

Nevertheless, secret paladin is clearly toxic in its synergy, it makes me think a bit of mech mage 6 months ago, in more radioactive.
But then fuck face hunter, it's really disgusting.
But then, I never got really up far in the ladder, maybe 8 at most. Some guy on a french forum said that he stopped playing Hearthstone when he hit legendary by farming face hunter and thought that that was too fucked up.
But then when I watch some of my friends playing rank 2 or 3, it seems that there are no more face hunters. It seems like the highest ranks meta is built around the black hole of the face hunter, resulting in really weirdo decks revolving around CW and ramp druid.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Secrets Paladin deck feels even more mindless than the Face Hunter, which is kinda amazing as I didn't think that would be possible.

Blizzard's resistance to tinkering with cards is getting kinda frustrating. This game could have a really interesting, evolving meta, but instead it just kinda rushes to a point, stalls, and gets stale.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Golden epics mang. +400 dust for little to no effort.
Meh, I just land wherever wins from dailies take me. I'm not short of dust. Maybe if they let you craft adventure cards. Otherwise not paying 3,000 gold/$25 for two or three cards.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
when they decided that this game would have no interaction during your opponent's turn, they reduced the amount of "permissible" stuff by quite a bit. It's not fun watching your opponent one-shot you without being able to do anything about it (like PW did), so they'll have to remove that kind of stuff. That said, Secrets Paladin isn't really like that, it's just... excessive maybe? The idea is to balance the metagame to a point where winning has to be a question of player's skill, and in this game it's mostly... play the right cards in the right order, really. Sure, you can respond to your opponent's tactics etc, but I feel HS lacks the tactical depth Magic has.

What I would do would be either print cards that can be cast during your opponent's turn, or print cards that "trigger" when a specific condition is met, like that hunter's secret that deals 4 to a newly entered creature.

This would allow a more strategic play, either allowing "countermoves" at "instant" speed, or allowing one to plan ahead with certain cards that say stuff like "when you have X or less life point, this happens", or "when your opponent controls X creatures, do this"

etc.

i think that would add a layer of depth and make the game more fun. it would probably stop appealing to people (like me) who just want to throw 20 minutes away though.

Grubba

Arcane
It doesn't make a lot of sense considering The Mistcaller and Wilfred Fizzlebang, both legendaries, are 4/4 for 6. Even if you make MC a 4/4 for 6 it's still way more powerful than those cards plus it's only an epic so you can run two of them. Taking that into account, 3/3 would be more sensible or something else like 2/4 or 4/2. When they do nerf it, hopefully they just fuck with the stats or cost because I like the effect and the deck you build around it.

Another way of fixing the problem could be to make it a legendary but I doubt they'd ever do that.

Grinolf

Arcane
Fuck do I suck as a Warlock in that current meta :(
I wouldn't even consider running non-zoo warlock in the current meta. I checked ladder a week ago and it was even more than usual filled with retarded cancer like secret pallys, huntards and some new aggro druids, so my tempo mage felt like a slow control deck in comparison. Priests, looks like, should be good in this situation: both control and dragon ones.

Mysterious challenger should only draw 2 or 3 secrets at most, it then would be some kind of mid-game Mad scientist and still be fun to play without being as toxic as it is now.
But I don't know how you can redeem face hunter, it's impossible. That's the main problem of Hearthstone: you can't nerf it.

I'm sure that Blizzard thought about it, and realizing that they could not nerf it, thought: "Fuck it, we'll let it be, we'll attract a huge crowd of teabagging frustrated 13 years old cretins with it, people will have to adapt to this temptation of evil".
I think they're wrong for in the long term, it's killing the game, but then I can't see how they could nerf it.

Last edited:

Grinolf

Arcane
Mysterious challenger should only draw 2 or 3 secrets at most, it then would be some kind of mid-game Mad scientist and still be fun to play without being as toxic as it is now.
But I don't know how you can redeem face hunter, it's impossible. That's the main problem of Hearthstone: you can't nerf it.
I don't think MC by himself is a problem. But it allows the possibility of MC -> Boom -> Tirion curve, and that's where things are getting retarded. This could be fixed by numerous ways from increasing MC cost to 7 or making him a legendary to finally nerfing Boom. Or/and making Divine Favor 4 mana, that would make harder for Paladins to replenish their hand while putting pressure on the board.
But at this point it look's like too much to expect a sensible fix from Blizzard. They would likely just completely kill the card after a few months and write that it was "a very thought-out decision that was made based on numerous playtests"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom