Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Beat first boss on heroic first try... although I got a bit lucky. He had me down to 4 health after a few turns and never draw any direct damage after that. Maybe he doesn't even have any.

And holy shit heroic mine cart is retarded. Pure RNG. Have to hope you draw the AoE's or you're fucked.

Beat the last boss on heroic my first 'legit' attempt. Cobbled together a Paladin deck of common buff cards: Kings, Might, Lance Carrier, Abusive, Dark Iron, etc. Also had Mind Control Deck. If you keep his board clear he can't do shit. Pretty underwhelming wing.

Also also, no wing next week because of Thanksgiving. Save up ur goldz.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
tfw Reno Jackson is getting so popular that people refer to this as the "Reno Jackson Control Warrior Meta"

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Brann Mill Rogue: Double draw Oracles, +16 Healbots. Some dude had a deck with Belchers but I replaced them with Summoning Stones.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I dunno about you but I think this whole Reno meta only took off when Phage talked about it here, he p. much invented those decks as far as Im concerned men

Revenant

Yeah, talking seriously, I went from rank 20 to 12 in NA yesterday and saw Reno ONCE. New meta, really.

't is indeed. Amusingly enough with all the new OP talk it's not my best-performing class since TGT (Pally second), that'd be Warlock with 7.21 wins per arena average. I sometimes wonder why the averages of Warlock is so damn low on the typical tracking sites.
What's your secret? Warlock is not a good class of mine, whether I use HearthArena or not. Do your choices diverge a lot from the recommendations?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
meanwhile, AT THE UPPERMOST LEVELS OF GLORY

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/372171-rank-1-legend-na-reno-dreadsteed

RANK 1 RENO DREADSTEED CONTROL - THE NEW META, BOW DOWN!
That is pretty bonkers (Sideshow Spelleater haha) but awesome. As a long-time admirer of the potential of Dreadsteed, count me as excite.

What's your secret? Warlock is not a good class of mine, whether I use HearthArena or not. Do your choices diverge a lot from the recommendations?
I almost never use HearthArena so I don't know how much I diverge. I tend to go more aggressively for early-game, zooish openings, and as a warlock you should embrace the potential of combo/synergy cards more than other classes. Play hyper-aggressive for early board control (as a zoo would) because you can't run out of gas as long as you have the board.

Looking at HearthArena I don't see much wrong though ranking flame Imp as about the same as Floating Watcher is a joke. Floating Watcher is a hopeful card, Flame Imp still smashes, just the presence of paladin with the occasional minibot doesn't counter that. I draft high-quality 1s pretty aggressively, I guess that's one difference with HA.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Generally, if you get late into the game and you still have a decent amount of health, you'll always come out on top due to your hero power, so a strong early/mid game is much higher priority. With most Warlock decks you need to contest the board right from the beginning and not let up at all until the late game. Your hero power basically hands you the value game on a plate, so what you need to do is add tempo. Think Zoo. I was never overly fond of some of HearthArena's picks/tier ratings for Warlock when I tried it, partly because it tends to aim to give you 'well-rounded' decks and you often have to push Warlock in a single direction earlier than the other classes, but ADWCTA and Merps have said in the past that it's one of their worst classes, which is bound to influence it a bit. HearthArena's Warlock is by no means terrible, though.

That's just my opinion, anyway. Warlock isn't my best class (that's Rogue, I think) but I play them equally and my average is above 7 with all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
just the presence of paladin with the occasional minibot doesn't counter that

The shielded miniGod single-handedly made 2/3 better than 3/2, so it's definitely a matter worth considering. Other than that I agree, zoolock is pretty strong, it's also my best class.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Oh, and it's probably obvious, but unless you drafted a really aggro-ish deck, the main reason you want to fight so hard for board presence as Warlock is so that you're the one applying pressure and dictating trades, not just so you can go face right from the start. Controlling the board conserves your health, which is probably more important for Warlock than any other class. It's important to keep in mind that every 2 HP you lose is another card you can't draw. Your hero power is downright broken if you can get proper use out of it, so people who know what they're doing will prioritize damage on your face and leave you unable to use it, if you let them. Again, this depends on your exact deck - if your draft was really aggressive and low-curved, you can just keep the board from start to finish while overwhelming them, refilling your hand by tapping while continuing to add pressure with low mana minions at the same time - but with slower Warlocks, you don't want to be tapping until later in the game (since it doesn't affect the board), so you need to make sure you still have the health to do so when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Brann is a card I can see sticking around a lot longer than Reno. For starters when played in combination with Antique Healbot it gives you +16. Not a Reno full heal but Brann is useful for other cards, too. In Paladin Guardian of Kings would be a 7 mana 5/6 and a +12 heal. Coghammer puts divine shield and taunt on two minions.* Quartermaster turns your 1/1's into 5/5's. A non-class card like Gormok (who is more likely to work in Paladin) is a 4/4 and 8 damage to a minion/face.

*Slight drawback -- Coghammer can buff the same minion twice.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Brann's very flexible for sure. Been using him in a slight twist on handlock that also has Dark Peddler, 72% winrate so far.

Andhaira

Arcane
Just played Reno with Brann already on board! +60 heal to the face.

It has potential if I somehow got Auchani on the board before.

Anyhow, only 2 wings of this expansion has breathed more life into the meta than TGT. Sad though that the only way they could give us tools to fight aggro was super cheap cards and combos like Brann plus Healbot.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Listen men, I think LoE is actually better than what we first thought. Discover might the most interesting mechanic of the game right now imo.

As a side-note, Ethereal Conjurer is kinda insane in arena.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
reno jackson in mage is fucking retarded

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Nah men, nah. It's just RENO JACKSON is the STRONGEST in the universe. UglyBastard can never recover from this!

:smug::smug::smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom