Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Hefty 4-page Space Siege Review @ bit-tech

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Space Siege

Continuing today's theme of crappy products, <a href="http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/08/22/space-siege/1">Bit-Tech review Space Siege and reveal their dislike for tomato based produce</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Those of you who do know Chris for his previous work, or with an attention span that lasts more than just a couple of paragraphs, will have noted that this is the second Chris Taylor game to bear the naming format of ‘Something Siege’ and that’s with good reason. Though Space Siege isn’t a true sequel to Dungeon Siege in any way, shape or form, it is kind of a follow-up. A spiritual successor, if you will.
<br>
<br>
The differences are many. Dungeon Siege was a colourful medieval romp with a hit and miss approach to gameplay. Space Siege is a generic hallway grindfest with a sci-fi theme plopped on top like a glaze of week-old ketchup – which is to say, no matter how much you like ketchup, you’ll probably find this mostly bland and tiresome.
<br>
<br>
Still, the ingredient of this particular ketchup are; the Earth has been mostly destroyed by an alien race and you are an engineer on the last ship left, which also happens to get a small infestation of the aliens stowing-away on board. Oh, and tomato puree.
<br>
<br>
Actually, the plot does thicken beyond that point as time goes on, much like the crust of dried tomato ketchup around the lid of an opened bottle. Though the game starts off with you fighting the alien Kerrak – and we’ll talk more about how awfully that’s handled on the next page – the game doesn’t stay that way for long.</blockquote>
<br>
No wait, <a href="http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/08/22/space-siege/1">read the rest</a>. It gets worse.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
In the end we had to read the manual cover to cover, which isn’t an unexpected request of the designers, but one we doubt is going to be followed by the majority of players.

I'll lay money that's the first time they've ever read any manual from cover to cover for a review.

Sorry - I'm wondering how space siege differs fundamentally from dungeon siege? I mean yeah sf vs fantasy but I mean fundamentally - the whole screensaver boredom problems etc. So what makes space siege so much worse is that standing stock with a sword is ok but stand still with a laser is bad?

I've no doubt space siege stinks, but the review really is putting the bar a lot higher for it than any review ever did with dungeon siege.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Compared to Dungeon Siege, it's not standing still anymore at least from the demo I've played. There is no passive defense to determine hits landing or not, they incorporated active projectile dodging by granting players reflex dodging with key press to roll towards where the mouse pointer at. Example: Incoming laser bolt can be dodged by rolling to the left etc. Then you still have armor but it gives damage resistance.

It's not a bad feature at all, but the game lacked some variety and it showed with the boring environment and repetitive enemies. It felt like one of those top down shoot'em ups. But it's definitely much better than Dungeon Siege which only prompts you to 'Press H to Heal', in Space Siege you are only carrying 4 first aid maximum, that are available for replenishing in save points / random drops.

Oh also, you only get access to new weapons at certain points in the game, so that kinda screw up your spare parts spending plans as you wouldn't know what kind of weapon you'd get on your first playthrough.

Spare parts are the currency in the game, since the whole game takes place in a colony ship it made no sense for you to 'trade' for new gears, instead you are allowed to upgrade your weapons, armor and robot sidekick with parts you get from killing most enemies and smashing crates as well as other objects like computer consoles.

It's got potential but too bad it's mis advertised as an RPG. It could've been a fun multiplayer survival shooter just like that Alien Swarm mod and it'd draw more crowd in.

As for the story. Aliens blew earth. Humans escaped on ship with Robots. Shit happens. Robot vs Human vs Alien. Fight.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I've heard the game is good if you play it as a Contra spin-off.

But it's still a fucking fail compared to Alien Shooter Vengeance.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Mefi said:
In the end we had to read the manual cover to cover, which isn’t an unexpected request of the designers, but one we doubt is going to be followed by the majority of players.

I'll lay money that's the first time they've ever read any manual from cover to cover for a review.

Sorry - I'm wondering how space siege differs fundamentally from dungeon siege? I mean yeah sf vs fantasy but I mean fundamentally - the whole screensaver boredom problems etc. So what makes space siege so much worse is that standing stock with a sword is ok but stand still with a laser is bad?

I've no doubt space siege stinks, but the review really is putting the bar a lot higher for it than any review ever did with dungeon siege.

Dungeon siege sucked, dungeon siege 2 didn't.

J1M

Arcane
Spoilers via GFW:

The human's AI turns on them at the end.
Replacing your entire body including your brain with machine parts has no impact on the story.

Discuss.

LCJr.

Erudite
So does the ketchup analogy continue through the entire review?

Jabbapop

Scholar
what's wrong with ketchup? it adds a little pizazz to everything!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
J1M said:
Spoilers via GFW:

Replacing your entire body including your brain with machine parts has no impact on the story.

Discuss.

No need to discuss. This game simply has no right to exist.

Morbus

Scholar
Actually, DS2 was just barebly less sucky that DS1. Both of them suck, but at least you can finish DS2 without getting a brain embolism...

J1M

Arcane
Stockholm syndrome. All of you DS likers, seriously.

Micmu

Magister
Sucktitude detected even by "reviewers"? So this probably means that Boll will not make Space Siege: The Moive, eh? Damn, I was really loking forward to it.

Micmu

Magister
Well, there certainly is a possibility. :shock:
But I remember Dung Siege(s) being praised by reviewers, especially 1 with bold words like: "this is the only RPG you wanna play right now!!!"

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
J1M said:
You're not talking about the Eurogamer review are you?

EuroGamer said:
I removed my brain because I was bored. I replaced my entire head with lump of glowing metal because there was nothing else to do. My legs are now pistons because it was the only decision I felt I had to make.

Levelling up happens at pre-ordained plot points, new powers and weapons are similarly handed out at prescribed locations and all loot is composited into generic 'upgrade components'.

It is, however, a genuine failure, perhaps even a spectacular one. It could do serious damage to Taylor and Gas Powered Game's once-golden reputation, and I pray it's just a one-off blip. With the Supreme Commander games apparently alienating as many players as they charmed, I suspect much hinges on the upcoming, self-published Demigod.

J1M said:
Did we really expect anything else from the maker of Dungeon Siege?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom