Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find a 90s medieval-themed game

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Been trying to find this one for a while but it keeps eluding me. Hopefully one of you grognards will know.
Memories are a bit hazy, so assume some leeway in fitting the descriptions.

Must've been late 90s, I'm pretty sure it came in one of those demo disks of win95 games, since I recall playing it along Hover!, Biomenace, and SkyRoads.

Likely some kind of kingdom management sim.The screen had a map divided in regions (Europe?) on the center, and a column to each side with the faces of the NPCs.
Battles (sieges?) would show up as an animation in the center. As far as I can recall, the player didn't have an actual input once the battle began.

I get the feeling you could use diplomacy appart from invading. The goal was to conquer the map, but I couldn't make out the rules because I didn't know any English yet.

Based on those very vague descriptions, anyone got an idea of what it might be?

/EDIT Solved, it’s Knights of the Round Table

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
ChatGPD says it's "Lords of the Realm II." :

It is a medieval-themed strategy game released in 1996 and was available on Windows 95. The game features kingdom management, including diplomacy and warfare. The map is divided into regions, and battles are displayed as animations in the center of the screen. While in battle, the player doesn't have direct control over the outcome. However, they can make strategic decisions before the battle begins. The goal of the game is to conquer the map through various means, including military conquest and diplomacy.

Ladonna

Arcane

It is a medieval-themed strategy game released in 1996 and was available on Windows 95. The game features kingdom management, including diplomacy and warfare. The map is divided into regions, and battles are displayed as animations in the center of the screen. While in battle, the player doesn't have direct control over the outcome. However, they can make strategic decisions before the battle begins. The goal of the game is to conquer the map through various means, including military conquest and diplomacy.

Well, it is wrong this time.

LotR II had input during combat.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
None of those as far as I can tell.

Yeah, it’s wrong. The map wasn’t isometric but flat, kinda like this
O_7.png

and there were no units displayed on the terrain.

Also, I put the thread in the wrong forum. Can it be moved to General Gaming, please? Infinitron

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Those icons… Holy shit, I think that’s it, you got it, you crazy Dutchman!
Seems I was recalling some stuff wrong (columns with NPCS on the sides, probably mixing memories with just about any game from the era), but everything else ticks the boxes.

Thanks to everyone else who hazarded a guess.

Wanna bask in some delightful irony? Now that I understand the language, I can finally play this, but it won’t be so simple because
“(…) some basic instructions are included on the initial game menu. However the instruction booklet that came with this Deluxe (aka registered) version of the game is not available (if you have it, please send it to me!) so you'll need to figure out what a lot of the buttons and icons and things do.”
:lol:

Well, gonna give this a try, hope it’s fun.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Thank you very much my dude :hug:

I’ll report my takes on the game once I give it a good run (so prolly after the weekend or so).

AdolfSatan

Arcane
So, today I had a bit of time in-between gigs and decided to give it a try, at the very least to learn its rudiments. First try I fucked up; half an hour later I had beaten the game :lol:
I might have just RNGd into a good starting position, but in any case it’s not really complex, and seems it was built around the notion of one playing on a balanced manner, because I went full aggro on every single turn and stomped thru an AI that didn’t manage to accommodate against it.
It’s a pleasant little game anyways and I enjoyed it, so thanks to everyone for the help in finding it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom