Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heritage, an IceBlink Engine project

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Since my other project is on hiatus at the moment, I thought I could put some of the design and assets into use in a simpler project.

Coincidentally, I backed the IceBlink Engine and thus have access to their alpha releases. So I'll use that for this.

---

Concept:

The game will be mainly a proof-of-concept for the combat system I'd envisioned. The scope will be limited, focusing on more the basic character systems and NPC scripting.

The game will cover one lifetime. Being the youngest son in the family, you get thrown out to the wilds with only a sword on your hip and a pack on your back. You settle on a remote plot of land and try to make your fortune out there.

The setting is low fantasy early iron age.

Game itself:

One over-game turn covers one year.

The game turn is split into three parts:

1.) Planning stage (spring) where you make choices about improving your holdings, visit the nearby village etc.

2.) Combat stage (fall) where wandering wildlife, monster and raiders may decide to attack you

3.) Character development (winter) where you get to advance your characters

You start with a single character, but later in the game you can get a wife and start producing offspring. Your wife and children will join you in combat once/if/when they are able.

Your farm is the only game map you'll ever get to see (with the exception of some occasional special encounters). Throughout the game it will change based on your decisions. As your estates expand, you'll face more difficult combat encounters.

The game will be linear, branching at specific points based on your choices in the planning stage. The wife you pick influences the characteristics of the children you get. As an example, only one of them will produce a child with potential for magic.

Turn-based combat for the combat stage (d'uh!), King of the Dragon Pass style CYOA segments in the planning stage.

Current status:

Creating assets, playing with the toolset. At the moment I am running with the default combat and character systems of IBE, hopefully future updates will allow me to take the system apart and implement my own system. No animations, nothing fancy. Though I'd like to animate, so that'll probably mean a complete sprite overhaul.

I'd love some concept drawings to use in the story segments, maybe if I get drunk enough at some point, I'll commission them. But for now the future of this project depends on the future development of the IBE.

---

Oh, and tasteful rape.

Baron

Arcane
Haba, update required / bump / increase production you miserable sons of whores.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Better consider every game that hasn't yet been released to be vapourware.

I think this is pretty straightforward design to do, the POC works relatively well. But before getting to the really complex scripting, there is the big question of how deeply I want to commit to IBE, especially since IceBlink2 is just behind the corner.

And there are couple of things that nag me
a.) my love affair with hexes keeps distracting me from this relationship
b.) a campaign of mainly single controllable character combat makes creating interesting encounters a challenge
c.) the temptation to expand certain simple (basically menu-driven) features is constant

But yeah, I am refraining from posting anything further until I think it is good enough to show.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
What can I say, having children kind of changes priorities.

Now the plan is to teach my son how to code, so he can finish it up.

Haba, update required / bump / increase production you miserable sons of whores.

Once I recover from my hangover!

That’s one helluva hangover.

I'm going for a world record.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom