Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Heroes of a Broken Land Announced: Turn-based Multiple Party RPG

Reapa

Doom Preacher
No level cap, and i got to chose the world size - made it huge. :necro:

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
Yeah I screwed up the last demo release - it's basically the full game. Oops :oops:. At least the game's not finished, so there's a chance to fix that

oldschool

Scholar
Anybody else having trouble loading saved games in the browser version demo? All I get is the music and a black screen.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
oldschool thanks for reporting that!! I can't believe that's been broken for as long as it has, one more thing to add to my release QA checklist...

The browser version demo loading is now fixed, you should be able to continue your game.

oldschool

Scholar
I went ahead and downloaded the windows version to get my fix. It's a nice game. I hope it does well for you.

A few things I've found so far, if you are interested in more reports:

There is some weirdness with the save games in the multi-party dungeons. It saves just fine, but when you try to load a game, it seems to be saving there as well, instead of loading the last save. It always works that way in the multi-party dungeons, but nowhere else that I've noticed.

I can't seem to join the arena fights. It takes the money, but nothing else happens.

I'm not sure how Killing Blow is set up to work, but every time I've used it, it only deals about 3 hp worth of damage. I'm not sure if that is a bug, or if I am failing the Killing Blow, and that is the intended consequence.

When you level up, the stats seem to be showing the equipment bonuses as well as the base stats. It would be better I think, to just deal with the raw character stats when leveling up. With all the stat-boosting equipment, it's too hard to keep track of the actual character build that way.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
Thanks for more feedback!

Do you know which version of the demo you had? Some of the demos floating around are a bit old. (Arena's were broken in 5.0 and 5.1, should be fixed in 5.2)

Killing blow is a low-chance death blow. It's meant to normally fail and do crappy damage, but sometimes 1-hit kill. I'll add a message stating the % to kill when it fails, like traps.

Also, the level up stats being off is a known issue about to be addressed - I agree with what you say, you should see how the base stats change on level up.

I'll be investigating multi-party dungeons too, they seem to have a few kinks left to sort out.

oldschool

Scholar
Ah, sorry. I downloaded the demo yesterday from your page. I assumed it would be the latest but it was v5.1. I'll move to the v5.3 browser version and see what I can break. :)

Having a lot of fun with it for sure.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
Yeah, I'm a bit slower updating the demos... actually since the 5.x demos are actually the full game by mistake I think I'll leave them broken until 6.0 :P

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
Hello. I am playing Beta 5.2

Normal map if I remember well :) The game is on for a while now, Day 139, and I notice that when having done my job in a dungeon, kill all the monsters or finding the artifact, I instantkt get summarized what i did get from that dungeon and get kicked out. Whereas in the past after finishing the objective the party would stay inside and did get the chance to clear out the areas the party hadn't been.

On the worldmap, don't know if this is supposed to be, the cottages lately (game time) turn out to be alchemist shops and not questgivers. Perhaps the odds are against me but in that case the game is on a streak.

The spelllist When a mage has a list that needs two and some more, doesn't show the spells in the middle of that list when scrolling down. Scrolling takes me from page 1 direct to the last page so I can only access the spells in between by pushing the corresponding keys and hoping I remember which spell is where on the list.

Besides these three points mentioned above I amuse myself greatly wth this game. Keep it up. Thank you.

Last edited:

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
Hello. I am playing Beta 5.2

Normal map if I remember well :) The game is on for a while now, Day 139, and I notice that when having done my job in a dungeon, kill all the monsters or finding the artifact, I instantkt get summarized what i did get from that dungeon and get kicked out. Whereas in the past after finishing the objective the party would stay inside and did get the chance to clear out the areas the party hadn't been.

On the worldmap, don't know if this is supposed to be, the cottages lately (game time) turn out to be alchemist shops and not questgivers. Perhaps the odds are against me but in that case the game is on a streak.

The spelllist When a mage has a list that needs two and some more, doesn't show the spells in the middle of that list when scrolling down. Scrolling takes me from page 1 direct to the last page so I can only access the spells in between by pushing the corresponding keys and hoping I remember which spell is where on the list.

Besides these three points mentioned above I amuse myself greatly wth this game. Keep it up. Thank you.

Funny, few days later in the game and it has stopped kicking me out the dungeon after completing the objective.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
Zenyrrah Some dungeons do kick you out right away - mostly only the main quest dungeons (Pillars, Forge, etc), could it have been one of those?

That cottage/alchemist swap is strange, and that's the first time I've seen that. The buildings look similar, could it be that? (Cottages have smoke, alchemists don't)

The scrollbar suckiness is a long standing UI issue I'll be trying to resolve in Beta 6.0.

Thansks for the feed back, glad you're enjoying the game!

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Monster difficulty! Thank you!
Beta 6.0 is now out in the wild, this update includes new dungeon graphics and a new UI look, among many other fixes and changes. Try out Heroes of a Broken Land Beta 6.0 for yourself.

Changes in Beta 6.0:

• Dungeon texture update – most dungeon textures have been updated to better match UI resolution
  • UI graphics updated
  • Added quit button
  • Added some new events to make waiting too long a poor strategy
  • Prices adjusted (mostly up) for skills in world trainers
  • Forge graphics updated
  • Fix scroll bar behaviour, should be better behaved
  • Various typos and formatting issues fixed
  • Tweaked difficulty of higher level monsters (a bit harder now at higher levels
  • [Demo Only] – display demo info and fix XP loss when max level reached
  • Updated bug auto-reporting to supply some world info
  • [Windows Only] Patching is automated, no more manually unzipping
    NOTE: this will only take affect after Beta 6.0, so if you do have issues with patching I suggest re-downloading the full game.

oldschool

Scholar
Liking the UI updates.

Is it just me, or has the world generation gotten better? Before, I would end up with a lot of low level dungeons surrounding my base, and my parties would quickly get too high of a level to make them worthwhile. Now there just seems to be one of each level close by, which is much better for the party level pacing. Or mayybe I just got a lucky generation.

Keep up the good work.

WingedPixel

Winged Pixel
Developer
warmonger3 Since 4.0 I've tweaked the loot a bit - mostly adjusting the rate armor drops vs. other stuff. I may have tweaked the magic item % as well.

oldschool The world generation is the same, but like all random stuff, sometimes you just get lucky :)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Of course. I don't know why so many people still ask that. There isn't a single company selling early access to their games without you getting the full game at release.

Chaotic_Heretic Yeah you get the full version. Think of it as Early Access or a preorder.

Not giving you the full version after buying the Beta would be a pretty dick move.

:bro:

With shit that is been going on... I expect the worst.

Zewp yeah should have expected that from an indie.

fantastic game btw. i am more of a storyfag but enjoying your fantastic work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom