Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Succession Wars - HOMM2-style total conversion mod for HOMM3

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Wow, great job. I don't think I've ever seen a mod this impressive.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
As someone who hates Heroes 3 graphics I appreciate the high class work you russians put in this. :salute:

You know, for a long time I thought I was some kind of minorty that hate HoMM2 to 3 transformation. I'm glad to see there are more out there.
This mod is terrific, thanks for this man. Even the soundtrack is in
:love:

Orzie

Arbiter
It is indeed the minority. Heroes 3 was more advanced in many aspects, so there are a lot of reasons to stick to it. H2 graphics, I believe, was also considered "outdated" at the time, when 3D was becoming more and more popular.

Luckily (sort of), nowadays the gaming industry is different and pushing the boundaries of graphic standards is no longer that important marketing-wise. H2 has a specific art style which deserves to be loved.

Orzie

Arbiter
The next update has H2 campaigns as one of its primary features. No release date though. We have already converted those and made the game see them, and made sure alternative scenarios work, but the campaign award mechanics is yet to be implemented.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The next update has H2 campaigns as one of its primary features. No release date though. We have already converted those and made the game see them, and made sure alternative scenarios work, but the campaign award mechanics is yet to be implemented.

Will the new cities be integrated into the old campaign scenarios?

Orzie

Arbiter
I'd rather not, but we don't have a final opinion as yet. My stance is primarily lore-based: while we add new factions, it would be a good tone to explain why they were absent in the classic game. Regarding vanilla The Succession Wars, all factions more or less belonged to somebody, be it Roland, Archibald, or feudal lords gone rebel, which was described in briefings along the way. Dervish and Witch never belonged to any monarch and are more like terrain-based factions like it is in H3 (H3 concepts were impossible to ignore completely, Heroes 2 as is was a self-sufficient game and did not need any new factions). So, they could not appear in full strength during the civil war in Enroth, because they were located in the farthest reaches (Dragonsand Desert, jungles of Bootleg Bay and marshes of Darkmoore) and/or deliberately chose not to interfere.
In H2 The Price of Loyalty expansion, the campaigns are disconnected from Enroth and the plot is generally weaker, with main focus shifted to features and gameplay extensions (and Cyberlore did a good job there, with many of their ideas inherited by Heroes 3 making it the top HoMM game for many people). New castles could be incorporated there, but I don't know if they really need to. Since both of our new factions are spellcasters, maybe they can fit good enough for some scenarios of Wizard's Isle campaign, at least.

tl;dr New factions are most likely to be introduced in full with the new lore (new campaigns, that is) accompanying them so that they feel native enough to the game. My bet is on combined H3 approach for new campaigns, where players can learn how to play these factions (RoE) and at the same time enjoy more complex character-driven stories so the gameplay will not be as boring (AB/SoD).

--

Another reason is more technical: H2 scenarios usually feature pre-set towns, so there is little room for random castles to appear. What we can control is the faction heroes to appear, and maybe we can allow them to spawn in Taverns so there will be a little more variety (mind the specialty mechanics, too). Random monsters will work as expected, if there are any, and some can be joined by players.

What we will do for sure is to enhance at least some of the campaigns with the new possibilities that H3/WoG/Era engine brings. For example, the Voyage Home campaign from H2 PoL expansion features the concept of recurring hero character Gallavant (which certainly laid ground for H3 story-driven campaigns). We are currently testing the hero transfer feature there, and adjusting some conditions so that the gameplay will satisfy the transfered skills. Since one of the scenarios there features pirates, we also added them to the map so that they are better represented. This is the case where our new developments will enrich the campaigns in a more correct way.

Aemar

Arcane
So... how dead is this?

Orzie

https://heroes2.forumactif.com/t988-important-message-for-all-h3sw-followers

Hello everyone.

With the recent geopolitical events which are indeed going to change the world forever, I must make some kind of a statement.

I suppose that it will be appropriate to speak for all Russian H3SW Team members with whom I am currently in touch.

We are completely and absolutely devastated by the decisions of our government and currently are still trying to understand what is going on and what will happen next. We never wanted anything like this, and have always wished for the better future of everyone. I personally donated for the victims of Ukrainian crisis in 2014, and will do that again.

With the impending chaos of anti-Russian sanctions by the Western world, there is a possibility that we may lose contact, at least until we find a workaround. The future of H3SW is currently under discussion. I have been contacted by Sir Albe with a set of questions and I suppose it will be alright to post my answers to the general public. See H3SW General Discussion for details.

When I was invited by GodRage to start a community here, I intended to create a fairy-tale place where people could dive into the fantasy world of Might and Magic, feeling themselves united by love of atmosphere and vibe of these games. I am deeply sorry for ruining this by this message.

https://heroes2.forumactif.com/t130p250-h3sw-general-discussion#8908

The mod is still being worked on.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Oooh, interesting. So it's alive or is it simply so that working on Homm mods gets you a mobilization exemption in russia?

zapotec

Liturgist
wTDQBr1.png
Is the SoyKnight class for the necropolis faction?

Aemar

Arcane
In Russia working on a HoMM mod puts you on par with space program or military engineers.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's left on the to-do-list for v1.0?

e:
Saw this from a developer on ModDB:
Witch castle will need to be completely redone, we still need campaign from both SW and PoL and a lot of other stuff, but slow and steady you know

e2:

I played some of this and it's really good! However the fact that H2 gets so much better as a mod for H3 is a testament to the greatness of the third game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom