Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
The main reason to hate HoMM 4 is because it wasn't finished. I enjoyed the graphics, the stories, the units and the gameplay change. Even if it was a move from the RPG base to a TBS.

Heroes on the battlefield did not work well because they did not scale the XP well enough. It was too easy to snipe another hero. If the hero constantly drinks immortality potions then streamline it.

Fanbase bitch but in the end, Heroes 6 sold enough to be profitable I believe. Heroes 5 did well and even Heroes 4.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=90

Homm 4 was originally built so that a 0 HP hero was unconscious, not dead, and would get back up after a battle that his troops won, kind of like an NWN2 character.

It was haphazardly changed at the last minute and potions of immortality were the best emergency solution they could cobble together in response to all the problems that change caused.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
That wouldn't really have solved much. There was also the issue of some classes like Governors being entirely useless in combat.

Archibald

Arcane
Governors had their uses (bonus gold to one town) so I don't really see a problem with that. I remember picking them up even while playing non-order towns.

Cadmus

Arcane
Governors werent useless in combat at all, thats bullshit. Unless you mean the special class.bonus but then youre an idiotTo be a governor you needed to level just 1 skill, thats all. You could have.magic and combat just as well.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I wouldn't even go that far. I'd make heroes go unconscious for a number of turns with some skill and spells allowing to shorten that time. When hero goes unconscious in an army without other units left, then it is captured/defeated.

All might heroes should come with Basic Combat already, to make them battlefield ready right out of the gate.

There's pretty much an easy solution to any mess that they created, but you know, jews.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Anything past mid game will one shot your hero on the first turn, and you can do so against the enemy as well. It doesn't matter how good in combat your hero is, he doesn't get strong as fast as stacks grow in size. Melee/ranged heroes do barely any damage unless you focus solely on boosting the combat part. Most, if not all of the time, your hero is standing in the back of your lines casting and boosting your troops. Why even have them fight on the battlefield?

Governors werent useless in combat at all, thats bullshit. Unless you mean the special class.bonus but then youre an idiotTo be a governor you needed to level just 1 skill, thats all.

If you want a melee hero, you have to go full combat for him not to become completely overwhelmed at the start, nobility takes a backseat. Or you go for a mage, but in either case you sacrifice a whole lot of combat power, just to boost a single town. And the boost is just a small little boost until you really max it out. Tactics trumps nobility most of the time. To quote a website, which I agree with :

On one hand Nobility will enable your hero to boost town population and hire some of the outnumbered oponents, and on the other it will turn your hero into a walking mine that generates gold and resources. Nobility provides you with additional recruitable creatures and with resources required to recruit them. There are three important things to consider before you pursue Nobility. Firstly, instead of having more creatures, you could make your creatures twice as effective by developing the Tactics skill and achieve a better overall effect. Secondly, by the time you develop diplomacy, most of the guards may already be defeated - diplomacy requires a large map with plenty of guards to be useful. Thirdly, if the map has plenty of towns and mines, the bonuses of Nobility, Estates and Mining may provide only a small advantage overall.

In which case, you are never good on any map, because large maps with lots of creeps will have many towns and gold mines as well. And small maps won't have a lot of creeps. So your capabilities are already halved if you ever focus solely on this class.

You can cheese, farm them at learning stones and other XP buildings and you have walking goldmines I guess. But then they're not really heroes.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
III is riddled with all kinds of annoyances - the sense of uniqueness when it comes to faction design is lost (overly similar unit costs and stat distribution reflect this), leading to the generic/"balanced" feel and overall lack of diversity, there's honestly no incentive to adapt your play style to better suit the needs of your town or prepare for the challenges that lie ahead. The exact same complaint applies to the hero types at every faction's disposal. A (noticeable) step backwards.
Every bloody creature features an upgrade - and precisely one at that. Flying creatures feel no different than your average footmen, try them out on the battlefields of HoMM II and spot the disparity. Again, that "balanced across the board - to a fault" feeling.
wat.jpg

Genuinely one of the most deluded posts I've read in a good long while. I don't even know where to begin...

The fact that there is no stuff like 500% difference in hp between top tier creatures of different factions does not mean that III is generic and lacks diversity. That's called fixing bad design, especially for a game in which playing with other people is obviously a huge part of the experience. Factions in III don't lack diversity when compared to II, the costs, strengths, weaknesses of factions are clearly different. There is more of them, more of units with way more interesting and diverse special abilities while also avoiding obviously dumb stuff like ghosts and djinn in II.

The fact that every creature has an upgrade (with many of those adding new interesting abilities or completely changing unit's role) is supposed to be a flaw?:lol:

Flying creatures feel like footmen? Wat? And I guess the fact that in II every flying creature was exactly the same and able to reach any point on the tactical map did not mean "lack of diversity"? You don't have to answer that, I'm sure it didn't.

Lack of hero diversity??? Here the internet would run of of wat jpgs. You do realize that: different classes of heroes for factions, hero specialities (of different kinds and applications), way more secondary skills with way more uses - all of that was added in III. In II the difference between heroes was their portrait, all of heroes of a given faction even started with exactly the same secondary skills ffs!

tl;dr: You obviously have little idea about playing games called Heroes of Might and Magic, stop making a dumbass of yourself.

Lest I forget - the big one. The entire economic system is totally backwards, and I'm sure countless people pointed that out before me. The need for territorial conquest and map exploration has been rendered largely irrelevant due to the plausibility of the idea of unit production sustained indefinitely off of money-generating structures.
Like I already wrote, gold being too easy to earn can be a problem in III (but it doesn't have to be depending on the kind of match you want to play), but the rest is a typical overblown bs. Creeping "largely irrelevant" in HoMM III?:lol:

The campaigns - incoherent, muddled mess of a plot. Merely a few missions per story arc. No side switching. II is a clear winner here.
The campaigns - more varied objectives. Unique heroes with unique abilities and even unique units. Campaigns that switch from one side to the other and include encounters with heroes you yourself created. III is a clear winner here.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Back to Homm7: doritos game journos almost made me buy this thing, but I visited the codex in time to remind me everything is shit. phew! (Also steam ratings, oh boy!)
But some reviews really were promising. What is the big issue with the game? Is it because it's bug-ridden, i.e. it just needs some more time to get fixed, or is it shit by design?
Is this game covered by steam's get-your-money-back-policy when it's also coupled with ubisoft drm? If yes, I'd give it a shot.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Shit by design.

Just pirate it and if you want to play multi, get updates because you like it then buy it.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
From what I gathered it could work if you just play singleplayer/campaign. That's where most of the positive comments are from. It seems to have some annoying bugs, but you still might push it through the end.

However not so much in multiplayer/skirmish. Desync problem happens 100%. Given that the HOMM community lives from user created maps for exactly that purpose, this one major feature is utterly useless.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
The only thing that's good in this game is the system. Because it's a copy of Heroes 3. Systems in themselves, in a skirmish game, are better appreciated in multiplayer.

Considering the rest is trash, don't even bother with singleplayer.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It is. I wonder how tr played through those Heroes 3 maps that give you 8 transferable heroes.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The best thing I got from this thread is the knowledge of New World Computing work for Heroes V

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
h5_undead_capitol.jpg

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=95

JVC: (Without my wife) Heroes would have never come about. I made King's Bounty, I don't know if you've ever known of that game...

JVC: ... Quite a bit. She still plays it to this day. She still yells at me every day for the way Heroes IV turned out like, "You ruined my game!"

The forge faction never came to be probably because Mrs JVC denied him sex.

That interview was around 2002. How much have times changed, a lead designer would never be allowed to be that straighforward. Even fake indie studios like Obsidian coat everything in PR speak.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
You have too much time on your hand? Read

JVC: Alright, so Heroes V, what I really want to get back to, and what I'm spending all my time on, is redesigning the entire game engine, to be much more along the lines of Heroes II and III, except much more modern and a lot more balanced, and much more challenging. The game evolved much more towards a role-playing type of game over the last couple of years, and I want to bring back completely, 180 degrees back to a true strategy game. It will have role-playing elements, but really the esence of what I wanted Heroes always to be since the very beginning is a pure strategy game. And role-playing is nice for campaigns and some particular scenarios, but the basic game is strategy. It's you against a few players, or you against other human players. (continued)

CH: (And so it will) focus more on scenario combat and scenario design features? Well, not just the scenarios, but the game itself, where there will be less emphasis on quests, and more emphasis on tactical combat?

JVC: Right. Absolutely, the game takes it much more towards the strategy orientation, and we'll make the story lines shorter, and the quest-based maps more, uh, simpler in terms of the entire overall quests so... But what that allows us to do and allows me to do is make much more of a strategic quest or story out of (those elements), instead of one of just plodding through it, and opening up a story like an RPG. It becomes an involved strategy quest that's active... figure out what to do, make decisions that are important when you mkae them and how you make them, so then you can work out the scenario. Versus just what it's truned into now is (meaning Heroes IV), it's just a matter of plodding through it. There's really no big strategic decision to be made in the current scenario (meaning Heroes IV). So, that's what I want to get back to, and I think that's more fun.

Revisiting all this stuff. Fascinating.

Durwyn

Prophet
FFS It's kickstarter age. Someone needs to tell JVC to leave producing mobile crap and to kickstart either M&M or HOMM inspired new IPs (preferably both). Also fetch Avellone on the way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom