Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Hi-Fi RUSH > Tango Gameworks surprise rhythm beat 'em up

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished the game. Was a neat release that came out of nowhere. I didn't count the hours but I'd say it took me around 8-10h, which is pretty standard for this type of game as they're more about replay value than being lengthy. You also unlock special challenge rooms after the final boss which act like secret missions from other similar games, i.e some kind of gimmick encounter (like don't touch the ground), so there's something new to look forward to along with the harder difficulty mode. The music tracks they licensed were all great and fit the encounters they were used for. The original music they had made for the game was nothing to sneeze at either. Gameplay wise it starts off pretty basic but toward the end there really is a lot going on with combat. The pacing at which you learn new things felt just right to me as you have the extra layer of keeping things in rhythm to contend with at all times. I was also surprised at how many different enemy types there were. You never fought against anything so much that it started to feel stale. And they were still introducing all new enemies even close to the end of the game, one of them you only fight once. From top to bottom it's clear that this game was a passion project which is why it's so full of heart.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah, fighting enemies while synced with "Invaders Must Die" was such an awesome experience that I haven't felt for a long time! It was good also because game threw everything to me at that point.

Ivan

Arcane
-character reminds me of Rufus from Deponia
-exploration reminds me of PS2 Jack and Dexter/Ratchet and Clank
-the combat isn't as fast as Platinum's games, but it does feel more like DMC with the enemies feeling like flood you play with. it even has a bit of the NinjaTheory DMC in it wherein you have to use specific verbs to deactivate blue/red shields
-tone and story is fine, very Saturday morning cartoon

Ivan

Arcane
Happy to report that the game takes the kiddie gloves off. I've just come up against my first major difficulty spike and it's triggering my Sekiro PTSD. Loving it!

Quite enjoying this "showdown parry" mechanic. When you overcome a tough one
200.webp

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Ivan be sure to use sidekick abilities (not team parries, just the ones you can trigger when pressing 'sidekick' button during the beat hit at the end of a combo). They are highly effective both at dishing out damage and at reaching higher scores.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Incredible game, and very challenging on hard. It's refreshing to actually see such a passionate work to be released in current times. Now go back to work on God Hand 2, Shinji!

Ivan

Arcane
Excellent finale. I actually enjoyed some of the enemy types more than some of the boss encounters. Great length, challenge, tone, and music. I probably had more pound for pound "fun" with this than I did with my virgin DMC5 playthrough. In terms of raw fun factor, this is up there with Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, God Hand, and Revengeance. It took it some time to grow on me. I do think it's on the easier side, especially once I bought the tag team finishers, which you can spam quite liberally.

Playing on Very Hard now to clear the post-campaign stuff. Gonna turn on streamer mode to listen to the original tunes as well.

Ivan

Arcane
Getting my ass kicked on Door 12. Any tips aside from GIT GUD? I'm noticing that dodging is affecting the score. hm!

Wunderbar

Arcane
Getting my ass kicked on Door 12. Any tips aside from GIT GUD? I'm noticing that dodging is affecting the score. hm!
spam companion abilities, they don't require you to attack on the beat.

Ivan

Arcane
that's how I got through it. A bit lame, I didn't "beat it" by gittin gud, just got lucky and played well enough to net a 92.

Final thoughts: I'll focus on the negatives, as it's quite clear what the positives are (the tone, the charisma, the combat, the music)

weakness:
-the non-combat portions, particularly the traversal feels like it's lacking a speedier option. Given how zippy and stylish the combat is, I think the general movement needs some twist, something like the Bayo-cat form to speed things up. Triple dashing to the beat is only fun for so long
-some quality of life stuff: you can't "skip" dialogue sequences in the game, which makes replaying some levels a little more tedious than needed
-it's too easy to maintain an S rank score by spamming team abilities, this made the combat feel a bit samey for me on 2nd playthrough (IMO Very Hard and Master didn't feel particularly different from Hard b/c of these OP abilities/moves). That said, I do like the idea of requiring specific use of team abilities to make specific enemies vulnerable

All that aside, this is a fantastic breath of fresh air and very likely be in my top 3 games of the year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom