Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Hilarious KOTOR 2 review at Tom's Hardware

ElastiZombie

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
No. Star Wars games sell. The combat is irrelevant. I'm fairly certain Bioware could make an RPG without combat at all or with entirely automated combat, slap Star Wars on the front and the thing would sell.

Entirely automated combat? I can see it now: a Star Wars/Dungeon Siege combo.. Star Siege! Except for the occasional click it's just like watching a Star Wars movie. I think we've got a new hit on our hands. :D

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Saint_Proverbius said:
Why make the genre something it's not to lure in customers with different likes and dislikes and risk alienating the ones who already like most of the stuff the dipshit at Tom's didn't like or wasn't smart enough to figure out?

Why don't you take a look at what I said again. I didn't say get rid of RPGs like Arcanum and Fallout, I said add more games like Diablo to the market. I just don't see how that's alienating any existing customers or changing the genre. Hack n'slash action RPGs are part of the genre.

The reason to do it, is if the genre is big enough publishers will be less afraid to try something different. As it is with so few RPGs that come out, publishers aren't willing to take any risks. When a genre makes lots of money, publishers are willing to experiment in order to find the next big hit. If the genre is small, they have no incentive to. They are going to want to stick with the exact same tired formula that always seems to sell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom