Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Holstin, a new survival horror set in poland

Modron

Arcane
I remember stumbling onto their twitter ~2 months ago when they were demonstrating the lighting:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The footage doenst look scary its just bunch of tentacles on the floor, then again maybe the target audience are Japanese girls.

Modron

Arcane
Has a demo now: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2235430/view/3647407179290360506
New Combat Demo and Gameplay Trailer
Hello fellow investigators.

We have some very exciting news from our team.

We have launched an updated demo with our much-awaited combat gameplay.
It took a little longer than we planned but that's because when we got down to it, we decided we wanted to do this right and with some extra flare to really add to the gameplay. What we finally managed to come up with and get working is in our opinion, quite cool.

Check out our new trailer to see our combat in action

Of course, don't just take our word for it. Download the new demo and try it out yourselves! We'll be adding additional language support to part 2 in the next few days while part 1 has been translated for all the languages listed here on Steam.

If you'd like to get even more exclusive access to things we're doing with the game, join our Discord. We share a lot of work-in-progress stuff there and gather feedback from players.

See you down on the other side... hopefully.

Harthwain

Magister
VERY interesting visuals and perspective swaps. I have a soft spot for psychological survival horrors, so I will be watching it. Looks very promising.

Edit:

I finished the demo. I loved the adventure bits - it had interesting puzzles, a nice atmosphere (but lacking some kicks). I hated the shooter/tunnel part though.

The whole second part is literally a tunnel filled with a lot of enemies. Enemies are bullet sponges, headshots don't seem to do much, firing takes stamina, inventory is limited and you don't seem to have a loot chest or the option to drop carried items on the ground. Oh, and you're encouraged to do "stealth" to preserve resources. Except it is easier, safer and better to kick enemies while they are on the ground until their heads burst, then they are blind and are very easy to avoid. In short: the tunnel was more annoying to go through than anything else. I really hope they don't make anything like that in the full game. I'd rather have combat as a break in-between adventure parts, rather than some sort of ham-fisted mass shooter or forced stealth game. Especially when enemies were all pretty much crab-like-zombies (some with strange powers, but still).

If I had to pick between this and CONSCRIPT, the CONSCRIPT is the winner, because it has some psychological horror elements and does combat way more interestingly than Holstin. If Holstin manages to turn the combat part around and keeps the interesting puzzle aspect, I could consider getting it. So right now I am going to keep an eye on it, with some caution (the third part of the demo is supposed to come in later).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom